FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel News (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-news-178/)
-   -   Pre-flight Superstitions | Flightster (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-news/1175177-pre-flight-superstitions-flightster.html)

weekilter Jan 21, 2011 7:32 pm

Pre-flight Superstitions | Flightster

Working first class all of the time has it’s perks. I am able to form a relationship and get to know my passengers because there is less of them, I get my own workspace and galley, I’m able to greet and welcome everyone on board as they enter the aircraft and I also get to see the strange things people do before they actually step foot on an airplane.

Surprisingly about 60% of the passengers I see walk through the boarding door preform some superstitious act before actually placing their foot in the aircraft cabin. As the passengers walk down the jetbridge and walk toward the door I see many people pat the fuselage and keep on walking as if I didn’t notice. It’s been described by some as giving the airplane a “love tap” to reinforce the bond between the passenger and the plane, at least for the next few hours.

When asked, most passengers said that they have no recollection as to how the habit of patting the plane began, but they can no longer board an airplane without doing so. One passenger confessed: “Once I boarded the flight and realized I hadn’t touched the outside of the plane for good luck.. I fished my way up the aisle during boarding and asked the flight attendant if I could do it, they laughed but let me. What if.. what if something would have happened the one time I didn’t do it. I just had to get up and go.”

Touching the airplane doesn’t even scratch the surface of some of the things I’ve seen. On the funnier side I’ve seen passengers dance or do a jig before boarding. This one in particular stood at the door, did a little sasche left and right, spun around and then continued through the line. Once I caught my breath from laughing, I asked him what he was doing and he said “it puts me in a good mood before I board an airplane, I’m a fearful flyer.. but I love to dance.”

http://www.flightster.com/2010/12/10...superstitions/

yyz_atc_lj Jan 21, 2011 9:23 pm

I'll admit it I too am a fuselage tapper. Don't know why.

joesmoe Jan 22, 2011 1:45 pm

I find this hilarious. Great post op!

kennycrudup Jan 22, 2011 2:45 pm

Wow- I do this too, but mostly 'cause I'm usually waiting at the jetway door and have nothing better to do, so I just flick the top of the doorway ....

goalie Jan 23, 2011 7:23 am

Guilty as charged and raising hand as a (2x) fuselage tapper :)

bver100 Jan 25, 2011 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by goalie (Post 15716346)
Guilty as charged and raising hand as a (2x) fuselage tapper :)

Also a patter. Though I think I only started doing it because I heard others were doing it. I just like the idea that i am actually touching the thing that is flying (since in a way, I sometimes feel separated from it while sitting in my seat)

sobore Jan 26, 2011 4:55 am

“Once I boarded the flight and realized I hadn’t touched the outside of the plane for good luck.. I fished my way up the aisle during boarding and asked the flight attendant if I could do it, they laughed but let me.
Pretty serious to fight your way back up the aisle just for the touch!

PhlyingRPh Jan 27, 2011 8:58 pm

In the distant past, I used to give the fuselage to the right of the boarding door a little kick now and again - not too hard of course, but with about the same vigor as one who is kicking the tyres of his car to check their patency while refueling at a petrol station. I think I'll start doing that again, thanks to OP ^

magiciansampras Jan 28, 2011 9:51 am

I'm a tapper. I feel so ashamed. :D

ByrdluvsAWACO Jan 28, 2011 2:05 pm

I don't "tap" as much as fondle. :p I like to get a feel for the machine that will keep me alive at dangerous altitudes. Its a bond between man and machine. ;)