Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

Pat Robertson says God closed airports with winter storm because of gays.

Old Dec 31, 2010, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hertz Gold, National Emerald

Rev. Pat Robertson sparked controversy in monday's broadcast of his 700 Club program when he claimed that God created the blizzard currently battering the Northeast "to punish Americans who were planning to drive to do something gay."

Additionally, he argued, God shut down major airports in the New York area "so that people who were hoping to fly to do something of a gay nature would have to take a train or a bus, so it might be days before the gay thing they were going to do could occur."

As for the millions of straight people in New York City who were also grounded by the bad weather, the televangelist said, "I think God probably wonders, if these people are really straight, then what are they doing in New York?"

Link to story here.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 3:27 pm
KCK

I think one needs to consider the source of the story.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I'm not sure what's so gay about me trying to visit my ex for X-mas?
Old Dec 31, 2010, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA, HH, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Platinum, UA, DL, US
I just stayed at home and did gay things here. I win!
Old Dec 31, 2010, 3:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by awaflyboy
Rev. Pat Robertson sparked controversy in monday's broadcast of his 700 Club program when he claimed that God created the blizzard currently battering the Northeast "to punish Americans who were planning to drive to do something gay."
I thought Christians were supposed to don gay apparel for the Yuletide.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat; Marriott Plat: Hilton Gold
Pat is ignorant.

But let's please not make any comments towards other Christians out there tho.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Originally Posted by Nicksterguy
Pat is ignorant.

But let's please not make any comments towards other Christians out there tho.
You're right he's Ignorant 1st. and a Christian 2nd. (not in any way meant to imply anything about any religion just affirming this guy is a big jackass and is guided by his ignorance rather than something else)

Originally Posted by jbart74
I just stayed at home and did gay things here. I win!
Cracked me up. Sent it to my mom who is the biggest hag I've ever met.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Pat Robertson will rot in hell, assuming there is a hell, which I honestly doubt.

He and the rest of the Christian right make me ashamed to be a Christian. Evidently none of them have ever read the Gospels. Let's simply begin with "Judge not that ye be not judged." (Not that the scripture has ever stopped me from judging conservative Christians, but at least I admit I'm a hypocrite.)
Old Dec 31, 2010, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Everyone remain calm. There's a hint at the end of this "news story":

In other blizzard-related news, the National Weather Service offered this update: "It's as white as a Glenn Beck rally out there."
Much as I disdain PR, I kinda doubt the veracity of this little nugget.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by awaflyboy
"so that people who were hoping to fly to do something of a gay nature would have to take a train or a bus, so it might be days before the gay thing they were going to do could occur."
PLEASE tell me that somebody is making this up. I am not American so I am not familiar with the "Borowitz Report". But I would HOPE that it is some kind of satire.

Because if somebody this stupid is really alive and consuming precious air in America only a few hours before 2011 arrives, we are all in big trouble.

Happy New Year all, and safe travels in 2011 !
Old Dec 31, 2010, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by thebobmc
I am not American so I am not familiar with the "Borowitz Report". But I would HOPE that it is some kind of satire.
This isn't proof positive, but note their other current lead story:
Birthers Challenge Hawaii to Produce Statehood Certificate
Presidentís Birthplace Not Really American, Leaders Claim
Old Dec 31, 2010, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gargoyle
This isn't proof positive, but note their other current lead story:

Oh, there's even better stuff. For example, here's my favorite:

Tea Party Cancels Christmas Pageant; Could Not Find Three Wise Men

WASILLA (The Borowitz Report) - The Tea Party's plans for a first annual Tea Party Christmas Pageant have been cancelled at the last minute, an organizer of the pageant confirmed today.

"We couldn't find three wise men," Tea Party holiday coordinator Carol Foyler told reporters. "It's too bad, because we had plenty of sheep."

Ms. Foyler said that the Tea Party was hoping to replace its Christmas pageant, however, with an ambitious staging of the Book of Revelation.

"We already have Sarah Palin, Michele Bachmann, and Christine O'Donnell lined up," she said. "One more Horseman and we're good to go."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andy-b..._b_801141.html
Old Dec 31, 2010, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thebobmc
PLEASE tell me that somebody is making this up. I am not American so I am not familiar with the "Borowitz Report". But I would HOPE that it is some kind of satire.

Because if somebody this stupid is really alive and consuming precious air in America only a few hours before 2011 arrives, we are all in big trouble.

Happy New Year all, and safe travels in 2011 !
Somebody is making this up.

The scary thing, though, is it is so plausible that, along with you and some other posters, I actually thought it was a real news story until I started poking around the website.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 7:14 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
This isn't proof positive, but note their other current lead story: Birthers Challenge Hawaii to Produce Statehood Certificate
Presidentís Birthplace Not Really American, Leaders Claim
Geez, I was born in the same hospital the President was born in. The President was born after statehood. I was born before statehood. So if you follow the above logic, I can't run for President. But I am interested in seeing the President's birth certificate just to see if we have the same cover design, format, etc. The cover design of the hospital's birth certificate has a photo of Queen Kapiolani, with a Hawaiian inscription on it so I am pretty sure the group above thinks our former Queen was Kenyan and that the Hawaiian language is actually a Kenyan language.

Originally Posted by PTravel
Somebody is making this up. The scary thing, though, is it is so plausible that, along with you and some other posters, I actually thought it was a real news story until I started poking around the website.
I agree. I can just imagine Mr. Pat saying this as if he mistakes that he is living in the 1940s where everyone was doing something gay, back when everything was so much more "egalitarian".
Old Dec 31, 2010, 8:39 pm

Srsly

Anyone who takes Andy Borowitz seriously needs to go out and buy a clue.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.