Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page > TSA: Why do you have so much soap?

TSA: Why do you have so much soap?

Old Dec 21, 10, 5:15 pm

TSA: Why do you have so much soap?

seem to be having run ins with the TSA lately, and for stupid reasons. I flew out of Phoenix Sky Harbor on my way to Charlotte for a TV appearance. I was wearing civilian clothes because I wasn’t traveling for airline related work and because I wanted to be comfortable for my transcon journey. So, I followed the 3-1-1 rule and put my liquids and gels in their ziplock, in a bin and placed the remainder of my bags on the belt, as usual.

As my bags started to come out of the X-Ray machine they grabbed my messenger bag and said they needed to “re-run” it through. I acknowledged it and began to collect my other belongings. I watched as they put my messenger bag back through the machine, and then I saw an agent grab it on its way out, which is never a good sign.

http://upupandagay.com/2010/12/20/ts...p+%26+A+Gay%29
Old Dec 21, 10, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA Gold
You should talk to this guy. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ta-liquid.html

Soap, pasta, keeping the world safe.
Old Dec 22, 10, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, G.E./NEXUS, Amex, UA 1K/RCC, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
What idiots.

Take this experience as a lesson: Nothing is consistant. And, if you’re traveling with a lot of soap, ship it to your hotel and/or place it in a ziplock bag, because when mixed with water.. it COULD be a liquid!
Old Dec 22, 10, 7:54 am
axl

Originally Posted by weekilter View Post
seem to be having run ins with the TSA lately, and for stupid reasons. I flew out of Phoenix Sky Harbor on my way to Charlotte for a TV appearance. I was wearing civilian clothes because I wasn’t traveling for airline related work and because I wanted to be comfortable for my transcon journey. So, I followed the 3-1-1 rule and put my liquids and gels in their ziplock, in a bin and placed the remainder of my bags on the belt, as usual.

As my bags started to come out of the X-Ray machine they grabbed my messenger bag and said they needed to “re-run” it through. I acknowledged it and began to collect my other belongings. I watched as they put my messenger bag back through the machine, and then I saw an agent grab it on its way out, which is never a good sign.

http://upupandagay.com/2010/12/20/ts...p+%26+A+Gay%29
I hate to be a buzzkill on the TSA bashing, but...

This IS the kind of thing that should get their attention! The apparent explosive of choice for these guys lately is PETN, which can be formed into different shapes or packed into various spaces. I say "Good on 'em" for seeing and examining the soap! It doesn't sound like they behaved poorly in the process either.

Out of curiosity, how often do you travel with the same amount/types of soap, and have they always let you through before?
Old Dec 22, 10, 8:13 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by axl View Post
I hate to be a buzzkill on the TSA bashing, but...

This IS the kind of thing that should get their attention! The apparent explosive of choice for these guys lately is PETN, which can be formed into different shapes or packed into various spaces. I say "Good on 'em" for seeing and examining the soap! It doesn't sound like they behaved poorly in the process either.

Out of curiosity, how often do you travel with the same amount/types of soap, and have they always let you through before?
While I agree the behavior is unusual enough that increased scrutiny is warranted, the TSO failed when he suggested a) the passenger ship it in the future, and b) that if he wanted to carry it through he should put it in his liquids zip-lock.
Old Dec 22, 10, 11:02 am

Programs: EZ Pass, Starbucks Gold, Red Cross blood donor
Tyler Durden?
Old Dec 22, 10, 11:38 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Plebe, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
And the Secret Service wrestled the soap to the ground....(and then washed behind the TSO's ears with the soap).

Sheesh, what a maroon
Old Dec 22, 10, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SPG PLT100/LT PLT/PRO, MR LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HY DIA, HH GLD, UA SLV, Hertz 5*, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by weekilter View Post
Why do you have so much soap?
Because I'm verrrrry dirrrrrty. Probably not as much fun with a same-sex agent.

Interestingly, this does in fact address a scenario I've come up with. A bunch of terrorists on the same flight all fill 3oz bottles to fill a quart bag with some nefarious substance. You can easily end up with a few gallons/pounds of something bad. If the scanner indicated a product density that's suspicious, I would expect them to ask you what is was and when you said it was soap to respond "Oh, OK, then I won't bother checking it any further, I'll trust you".
Old Dec 22, 10, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
A bunch of terrorists on the same flight all fill 3oz bottles to fill a quart bag with some nefarious substance. You can easily end up with a few gallons/pounds of something bad.
According to the video they show in PHL, TSA scientists have proven this to be an unlikely scenario.
Old Dec 22, 10, 12:54 pm
axl

Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
Because I'm verrrrry dirrrrrty. Probably not as much fun with a same-sex agent.

Interestingly, this does in fact address a scenario I've come up with. A bunch of terrorists on the same flight all fill 3oz bottles to fill a quart bag with some nefarious substance. You can easily end up with a few gallons/pounds of something bad. If the scanner indicated a product density that's suspicious, I would expect them to ask you what is was and when you said it was soap to respond "Oh, OK, then I won't bother checking it any further, I'll trust you".
Was this part TIC?

What about one person with several 3oz bottles of liquid?

Anything out of the ordinary SHOULD arouse suspicion. How they handle it is a whole 'nuther story.
Old Dec 22, 10, 3:30 pm

Anything out of the ordinary SHOULD arouse suspicion.
6 bars of soap is suspicious? Really?
Old Dec 22, 10, 3:43 pm
axl

Originally Posted by bitburgr View Post
6 bars of soap is suspicious? Really?
Based on the statements by the OP, I would say they were out of the ordinary and SHOULD have gotten the attention of the TSO's. I'm guessing they don't see 6 bars of soap come through in carryon baggage often?!

You didn't answer my question about whether your statement was TIC. Would you really just accept the answer without further examination? "Oh, it's just a bunch of soap/printer cartridge/walkman/bottle of contact lens solution/swollen scrotum." "OK then, have a nice day." Really?
Old Dec 22, 10, 3:48 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Plebe, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Based on the statements by the OP, I would say they were out of the ordinary and SHOULD have gotten the attention of the TSO's. I'm guessing they don't see 6 bars of soap come through in carryon baggage often?!

You didn't answer my question about whether your statement was TIC. Would you really just accept the answer without further examination? "Oh, it's just a bunch of soap/printer cartridge/walkman/bottle of contact lens solution/swollen scrotum." "OK then, have a nice day." Really?
Bolding mine: How about anywhere from 4 to 6 unopened bags of tootsie-pops* plus my open "working supply"?

*Depends on how many segments I'm flying, what types of equipment are involved as a 3 cabin widebody gets a whole bag and allowing for my return flights
Old Dec 22, 10, 5:38 pm
axl

Originally Posted by goalie View Post
Bolding mine: How about anywhere from 4 to 6 unopened bags of tootsie-pops* plus my open "working supply"?

*Depends on how many segments I'm flying, what types of equipment are involved as a 3 cabin widebody gets a whole bag and allowing for my return flights
They shouldn't even THINK of messing with the tootsie pops

On the other hand, I may have to take a closer look onboard

Merry Christmas!
Old Dec 22, 10, 7:57 pm

Soap? TSA? Phoenix???? Now it makes sense.

Why does this not surprise me that it was dear ol' Sky Harbor? My brother and I hate and detest flying into/out of PHX, but must due to aging family who refuse to move from that he**hole. 1574 miles are just too many to drive one way in most emergency instances. (We've done it for non-emergencies, though - we both know the route by heart.)

Just flew home from PHX Fri. Had to keep my guffaws down until I was through security after I saw their new motto splashed all over the airport: "America's Friendliest Airport." Friendly to WHOM? The workers? Gaaahhh. If we've been hassled at any airport on a trip, or had bags misdirected, or outright lost, that's where it's happened. Doesn't matter if it's Terminal 2, 3, or 4, either. I simply won't check a bag into/out of PHX. (I pity the PHX GA who ever tries to gate-check my Aeronaut after I've seen other huge rollers go past me.)

Certainly not caffeine-friendly, either: if you're in Terminal 2, there isn't anything to purchase save hard liquor or water once you're through security save at one pastry shop. If they're out of diet soda, too bad for you. You want a coffee? Maybe a truck-stop-worthy special. A latte? You're going to have to spell it, and you still won't get it. Shops closed? Forget it. Not one vending machine in sight. Not even for water. Phoenix water is a biohazard in my book - way too much chlorine, fluoride, and hard minerals to drink. I'd rather drink the water on the plane - out of the tank - and we all know that's really, truly biohazard liquid to the max!

Caffeine = what runs Seattleites. Seattleite without caffeine = the cause of many a travel story...

Search this Thread