Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page > TSA: Why do you have so much soap?

TSA: Why do you have so much soap?

Reply

Old Dec 21, 10, 5:15 pm
  #1
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Seattle, Washington USA
Posts: 972
TSA: Why do you have so much soap?

seem to be having run ins with the TSA lately, and for stupid reasons. I flew out of Phoenix Sky Harbor on my way to Charlotte for a TV appearance. I was wearing civilian clothes because I wasn’t traveling for airline related work and because I wanted to be comfortable for my transcon journey. So, I followed the 3-1-1 rule and put my liquids and gels in their ziplock, in a bin and placed the remainder of my bags on the belt, as usual.

As my bags started to come out of the X-Ray machine they grabbed my messenger bag and said they needed to “re-run” it through. I acknowledged it and began to collect my other belongings. I watched as they put my messenger bag back through the machine, and then I saw an agent grab it on its way out, which is never a good sign.

http://upupandagay.com/2010/12/20/ts...p+%26+A+Gay%29
weekilter is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 10, 6:27 pm
  #2
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Body in Phoenix, Thoughts in Hawaii
Programs: AA Gold
Posts: 892
You should talk to this guy. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ta-liquid.html


Soap, pasta, keeping the world safe.
Princess1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 10, 1:52 am
  #3
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
FriendlySkies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lawrence, KS | MCI
Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, G.E./NEXUS, Amex, UA 1K/RCC, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Posts: 19,964
What idiots.

Take this experience as a lesson: Nothing is consistant. And, if you’re traveling with a lot of soap, ship it to your hotel and/or place it in a ziplock bag, because when mixed with water.. it COULD be a liquid!
FriendlySkies is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 10, 7:54 am
  #4
axl
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 504
Originally Posted by weekilter View Post
seem to be having run ins with the TSA lately, and for stupid reasons. I flew out of Phoenix Sky Harbor on my way to Charlotte for a TV appearance. I was wearing civilian clothes because I wasn’t traveling for airline related work and because I wanted to be comfortable for my transcon journey. So, I followed the 3-1-1 rule and put my liquids and gels in their ziplock, in a bin and placed the remainder of my bags on the belt, as usual.

As my bags started to come out of the X-Ray machine they grabbed my messenger bag and said they needed to “re-run” it through. I acknowledged it and began to collect my other belongings. I watched as they put my messenger bag back through the machine, and then I saw an agent grab it on its way out, which is never a good sign.

http://upupandagay.com/2010/12/20/ts...p+%26+A+Gay%29
I hate to be a buzzkill on the TSA bashing, but...

This IS the kind of thing that should get their attention! The apparent explosive of choice for these guys lately is PETN, which can be formed into different shapes or packed into various spaces. I say "Good on 'em" for seeing and examining the soap! It doesn't sound like they behaved poorly in the process either.

Out of curiosity, how often do you travel with the same amount/types of soap, and have they always let you through before?
axl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 10, 8:13 am
  #5
 
Join Date: May 2004
Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Posts: 7,790
Originally Posted by axl View Post
I hate to be a buzzkill on the TSA bashing, but...

This IS the kind of thing that should get their attention! The apparent explosive of choice for these guys lately is PETN, which can be formed into different shapes or packed into various spaces. I say "Good on 'em" for seeing and examining the soap! It doesn't sound like they behaved poorly in the process either.

Out of curiosity, how often do you travel with the same amount/types of soap, and have they always let you through before?
While I agree the behavior is unusual enough that increased scrutiny is warranted, the TSO failed when he suggested a) the passenger ship it in the future, and b) that if he wanted to carry it through he should put it in his liquids zip-lock.
You want to go where? is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 10, 11:02 am
  #6
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Programs: EZ Pass, Starbucks Gold, Red Cross blood donor
Posts: 4,677
Tyler Durden?
bitburgr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 10, 11:38 am
  #7
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
goalie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: SFO, CDG, PBI
Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Plebe, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Posts: 27,897
And the Secret Service wrestled the soap to the ground....(and then washed behind the TSO's ears with the soap).

Sheesh, what a maroon
goalie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 10, 11:49 am
  #8
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Programs: SPG PLT100/LT PLT/PRO, MR LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HY DIA, HH GLD, UA SLV, Hertz 5*, Avis PreferredPlus
Posts: 20,377
Originally Posted by weekilter View Post
Why do you have so much soap?
Because I'm verrrrry dirrrrrty. Probably not as much fun with a same-sex agent.



Interestingly, this does in fact address a scenario I've come up with. A bunch of terrorists on the same flight all fill 3oz bottles to fill a quart bag with some nefarious substance. You can easily end up with a few gallons/pounds of something bad. If the scanner indicated a product density that's suspicious, I would expect them to ask you what is was and when you said it was soap to respond "Oh, OK, then I won't bother checking it any further, I'll trust you".
CPRich is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 10, 12:04 pm
  #9
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Programs: EZ Pass, Starbucks Gold, Red Cross blood donor
Posts: 4,677
Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
A bunch of terrorists on the same flight all fill 3oz bottles to fill a quart bag with some nefarious substance. You can easily end up with a few gallons/pounds of something bad.
According to the video they show in PHL, TSA scientists have proven this to be an unlikely scenario.
bitburgr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 10, 12:54 pm
  #10
axl
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 504
Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
Because I'm verrrrry dirrrrrty. Probably not as much fun with a same-sex agent.



Interestingly, this does in fact address a scenario I've come up with. A bunch of terrorists on the same flight all fill 3oz bottles to fill a quart bag with some nefarious substance. You can easily end up with a few gallons/pounds of something bad. If the scanner indicated a product density that's suspicious, I would expect them to ask you what is was and when you said it was soap to respond "Oh, OK, then I won't bother checking it any further, I'll trust you".
Was this part TIC?

What about one person with several 3oz bottles of liquid?

Anything out of the ordinary SHOULD arouse suspicion. How they handle it is a whole 'nuther story.
axl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 10, 3:30 pm
  #11
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Programs: EZ Pass, Starbucks Gold, Red Cross blood donor
Posts: 4,677
Originally Posted by axl View Post
Anything out of the ordinary SHOULD arouse suspicion.
6 bars of soap is suspicious? Really?
bitburgr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 10, 3:43 pm
  #12
axl
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 504
Originally Posted by bitburgr View Post
6 bars of soap is suspicious? Really?
Based on the statements by the OP, I would say they were out of the ordinary and SHOULD have gotten the attention of the TSO's. I'm guessing they don't see 6 bars of soap come through in carryon baggage often?!

You didn't answer my question about whether your statement was TIC. Would you really just accept the answer without further examination? "Oh, it's just a bunch of soap/printer cartridge/walkman/bottle of contact lens solution/swollen scrotum." "OK then, have a nice day." Really?
axl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 10, 3:48 pm
  #13
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
goalie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: SFO, CDG, PBI
Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Plebe, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Posts: 27,897
Originally Posted by axl View Post
Based on the statements by the OP, I would say they were out of the ordinary and SHOULD have gotten the attention of the TSO's. I'm guessing they don't see 6 bars of soap come through in carryon baggage often?!

You didn't answer my question about whether your statement was TIC. Would you really just accept the answer without further examination? "Oh, it's just a bunch of soap/printer cartridge/walkman/bottle of contact lens solution/swollen scrotum." "OK then, have a nice day." Really?
Bolding mine: How about anywhere from 4 to 6 unopened bags of tootsie-pops* plus my open "working supply"?


*Depends on how many segments I'm flying, what types of equipment are involved as a 3 cabin widebody gets a whole bag and allowing for my return flights
goalie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 10, 5:38 pm
  #14
axl
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 504
Originally Posted by goalie View Post
Bolding mine: How about anywhere from 4 to 6 unopened bags of tootsie-pops* plus my open "working supply"?


*Depends on how many segments I'm flying, what types of equipment are involved as a 3 cabin widebody gets a whole bag and allowing for my return flights
They shouldn't even THINK of messing with the tootsie pops

On the other hand, I may have to take a closer look onboard

Merry Christmas!
axl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 10, 7:57 pm
  #15
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SEA
Posts: 48
Soap? TSA? Phoenix???? Now it makes sense.

Why does this not surprise me that it was dear ol' Sky Harbor? My brother and I hate and detest flying into/out of PHX, but must due to aging family who refuse to move from that he**hole. 1574 miles are just too many to drive one way in most emergency instances. (We've done it for non-emergencies, though - we both know the route by heart.)

Just flew home from PHX Fri. Had to keep my guffaws down until I was through security after I saw their new motto splashed all over the airport: "America's Friendliest Airport." Friendly to WHOM? The workers? Gaaahhh. If we've been hassled at any airport on a trip, or had bags misdirected, or outright lost, that's where it's happened. Doesn't matter if it's Terminal 2, 3, or 4, either. I simply won't check a bag into/out of PHX. (I pity the PHX GA who ever tries to gate-check my Aeronaut after I've seen other huge rollers go past me.)

Certainly not caffeine-friendly, either: if you're in Terminal 2, there isn't anything to purchase save hard liquor or water once you're through security save at one pastry shop. If they're out of diet soda, too bad for you. You want a coffee? Maybe a truck-stop-worthy special. A latte? You're going to have to spell it, and you still won't get it. Shops closed? Forget it. Not one vending machine in sight. Not even for water. Phoenix water is a biohazard in my book - way too much chlorine, fluoride, and hard minerals to drink. I'd rather drink the water on the plane - out of the tank - and we all know that's really, truly biohazard liquid to the max!

Caffeine = what runs Seattleites. Seattleite without caffeine = the cause of many a travel story...
vs_itsallgood is offline  
Reply With Quote
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 9:29 am.

Home - News - Forum - Hotel Reviews - Glossary - Contact Us - Airport Code Lookup - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Cookie Policy - Advertise on FlyerTalk - Archive - Top

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by Flyertalk.com. Copyright © 2017 FlyerTalk.com. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.