Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

If you're wondering how deicing works ...

Old Dec 24, 2010, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum

... then you might want to look at this article (written by a pilot) on CNN.com.

Originally Posted by CNN.com
Airplane deicing: The how and why

If you've traveled by air in wintry weather, you've probably looked out your window before takeoff and seen vehicles circling the plane, spraying deicing fluid on the wings. Passengers often ask me why it's so important to make sure the aircraft is free of snow and ice accumulation.

Not just removing, but also preventing a build-up of snow and ice on the wings and tail of an airplane is crucial for a safe take-off. A plane's wings and rear tail component are engineered with a very specific shape in order to provide proper lift for flight. Snow and ice on these areas in essence changes their shape and disrupts the airflow across the surface, hindering the ability to create lift...
Old Dec 25, 2010, 9:32 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Interesting. Thanks for posting that. ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.