NK Surgeon Sues for $11 millions dollars to asking the water

Old Nov 26, 10, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward

http://www.lohud.com/article/2010112...ter-water-flap

Good riddance from his entire family who wants to sued against Spirit. This is not real specific time for him at all. Because his family cannot afford to pay $10 for water. Why NK should have to get free of charges? I was so terrified against Spirit is violations against the lawsuits to his wife & 2 children.
Old Nov 26, 10, 7:09 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Because his family cannot afford to pay $10 for water.
I can afford the $10 requested for water but I will never pay $0.01 for water. I am yet to put my head around people that are stupid enough to pay for water. And the fact that people buy bottles of water on the plane or at airports amazes me considering you can ask the flt attendant to pour you a glass from their larger bottle of water.
Old Nov 26, 10, 7:19 pm

Paying for water is not a new concept. Bottled water is sold in stores, vending machines, service stations etc everywhere. It's like buying any other good- you can either pay for it or not have it and find an alternative such as bringing your own.

Edit:
In an e-mail to The Huffington Post, an airline spokeswoman said Roslin "was causing a disturbance and attempted to incite other passengers to the point that another passenger started to cry in fear as a result of his behavior."
I could probably imagine what happened. Said surgeon requests water but either does not have enough money or does not want to spend money to buy it. Rather than being more prepared next time he tries to spark protest and outrage among the cabin and is subsequently removed. If anything the lawsuit should go the other way.

Just because water is generally freely available does not mean that it is not a good. Likewise, things such as sand are frequently sold in bags despite being freely available on the beach. It doesn't mean you have to go into a hissy fit if you for some reason cannot buy it.

Last edited by belfordrocks; Nov 26, 10 at 9:15 pm
Old Nov 26, 10, 9:57 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Not sure if it was in effect back in February, but I thought airlines are supposed to provide water & working lavatories during tarmac delays.

LAX
Old Nov 26, 10, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by LAX View Post
Not sure if it was in effect back in February, but I thought airlines are supposed to provide water & working lavatories during tarmac delays.

LAX
I think you're exactly right about last February 2010. Because the flight has been delayed due to snowstorm in NYC areas. That's why they were removed his whole entire family off the planes. Because he was complaints to get more water for his pregnant wife. So that's why NK had no rights to pay the water fees and there is no such things about his entire family cannot afford to pay $10 water. Because his family who had it right to get free of charges.
Old Nov 27, 10, 11:45 am
cur

Originally Posted by belfordrocks View Post
Just because water is generally freely available does not mean that it is not a good. Likewise, things such as sand are frequently sold in bags despite being freely available on the beach. It doesn't mean you have to go into a hissy fit if you for some reason cannot buy it.
But to deny a cup of it inside a confined space because it is for sale is simply evil. Just as evil as removing water fountains and installing vending machines, later saying people should be more prepared when they complain about this. I'm a libertarian and even I see the issue with this.

And your comparison of ubiquity and cost between a bottle of water and a bag of sand is fallacious. The premise in your argument is that a bag of sand, like water, is a basic need, which it isn't.
Old Nov 29, 10, 2:35 am

For an airline though with a low cost structure, carrying around water does come at a cost. It is added weight which as we all know is more fuel so see no problem in an airline charging for it.

That been said, I think some common sense would go a long way.
Old Nov 29, 10, 2:46 am

Even if water was required, perhaps asking nicely and being respectful would be a lot more effective than throwing a hissy fit and intentionally disrupting the peace.
Old Nov 30, 10, 10:53 am

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
Originally Posted by cur View Post
I can afford the $10 requested for water but I will never pay $0.01 for water. I am yet to put my head around people that are stupid enough to pay for water. And the fact that people buy bottles of water on the plane or at airports amazes me considering you can ask the flt attendant to pour you a glass from their larger bottle of water.
1 Not on Spirit! No free water

2. You do realize that the FA is not your "server" but in charge of your safety (and I have been on flights where the turbulence was such that they never served anything)

That said, I just fill up a bottle after security at a water fountain.
Old Nov 30, 10, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by CarolDisney1 View Post
...You do realize that the FA is not your "server" but in charge of your safety ...
Begging your pardon, but they're there for both. As a few examples, I am not allowed into the galley to get my own food (if there is any) or drinks, I cannot go into the duty-free stock and take out the item of my choice (even if I leave money), I can't start the IFE movie cycle, nor am I supposed to replenish paper supplies in the lavs. While I recognize that safety trumps service if they conflict, to totally deny the service aspect of the FA's job is absurd. Such an assertion impacts the credibility of the entire post.
Old Dec 1, 10, 5:21 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Originally Posted by cur View Post
But to deny a cup of it inside a confined space because it is for sale is simply evil.
I tend to agree with this. If people are confined for a period of time some basic needs should be provided, it certainly is not a luxury.
Old Dec 1, 10, 11:13 am
cur

Originally Posted by CarolDisney1 View Post
1 Not on Spirit! No free water

2. You do realize that the FA is not your "server" but in charge of your safety (and I have been on flights where the turbulence was such that they never served anything)

That said, I just fill up a bottle after security at a water fountain.
1. I'm amazed. This is low cost to a brand new level, but I can see it making economic sense considering potable water on the plane = weight = fuel. But selling bottles of it probably takes up just as much weight... but yet again, the profit that can be made .
2. Well aware, and I don't know where this comment came from. I usually fly on airlines where on a 320, a dozen 1.5L bottles of water are provisioned. Or on WS where bottles of water are for sale, they still provision the water and give you the option to be an idiot/not be an idiot.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: