Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

Vilu Reef staff caught verbally abusing wedding couple

Old Oct 28, 2010, 9:50 am
Original Poster

The couple decided to have the blessing for their wedding ceremony in Dhivehi rather than English. The staff at Vilu Reef decided that, rather than a traditional wedding, they'd go with:
"You fornicate and make a lot of children. You drink and you eat pork. Most of the children that you have are marked with spots and blemishes. These children that you have are *******s."

“Before ******ing a chicken, check if the hole is clean. That is because the people of the countries that you are from are familiar with the taste of the ****holes of chicken,”
Unfortuantely, the staff decided to upload the video to YouTube and got themselves caught.

More from the BBC here or from 'Minivan News' here.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:13 am
Community Director Emerita

Manager Mohamed Rasheed told the AFP news agency: "The man had used filthy language. Otherwise the ceremony was OK."

He said the couple had received an apology.
I think they are due a whole lot more than that. At a minimum, the cost for the ceremony should be refunded:

Vilu Reef hotel, run by Sun Hotels and Resorts, charges $1,300 (Ł820) for the ceremony, which it says offers couples the chance to "mark a milestone in your amazing journey together".
What a bizarre decision by the people involved to use such language and express such sentiments.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:36 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Amazing that no one burst out laughing or otherwise ruined the prank. Amazing too that people would pay so much for such a ceremony, even a "legitimate" one. Still, the whole episode is disgusting and disgraceful.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:40 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
If you watch the video with the translation (direct youtube link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3anLy3Hz9) it's pretty amazing that everybody has a straight face. I don't get how the people standing around were not bursting out laughing at it all. Not that it is at all funny, just when he starts ranting about chicken backsides, there's no way I could have kept a straight face.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 3:15 pm

Programs: Yorkshire Coastliner
Why would you want your wedding blessing recited in a language other than your own?
Old Oct 28, 2010, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fairviewroad
Amazing too that people would pay so much for such a ceremony, even a "legitimate" one.
I hadn't seen the video but, now I have, the ceremony looks cheap and would have made me feel slightly awkward (it isn't how I'd have imagined a ceremony in the Maldives). The couple involved don't look as though they're particularly enjoying things ... though they're probably wondering where their $1300 has gone.

Let's hope that the couple are some of the few remaining people in the world who haven't discovered the internet yet
Old Oct 28, 2010, 5:35 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH, Fairmont, NYSC (Passport), 24hrFitness-Super Sport
deleted

Last edited by DLNYC; Nov 3, 2010 at 2:27 pm
Old Oct 29, 2010, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I think they are due a whole lot more than that. At a minimum, the cost for the ceremony should be refunded:
i agree....this is really bad....
Old Oct 29, 2010, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Springing for a marriage ceremony in a far away place and in foreign language opens one up to all sorts of unwanted stuff. Never-the-less they were a victim of a cruel joke that could easily of been avoided.

I wonder if the prenup was written in the same language.

MisterNice

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.