Wiki Posts
Search

Get knocked up and you have to quit?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2010, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UAL SPG Hyatt
Get knocked up and you have to quit?

Not sure if this belongs in Newsstand or the Singapore Airlines forum. However, might be interesting conversation fodder for FT members who frequent SQ flights as well as labor attorneys, ACLU folks ...

I think missing in the debate is why/how FAs have to resign if they are pregnant.

"Payout for pregnant SIA crew"
http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_590538.html
Old Oct 19, 2010, 7:29 pm

... labor attorneys ...
So you need a lawyer now even for this ...
Old Oct 19, 2010, 7:47 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
It wasn't that many decades ago that FAs in the US had to be single, childless, under 30, and meet weight requirements to get and keep their jobs.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SometimesFlyer
...ACLU folks ...
I think missing in the debate is why/how FAs have to resign if they are pregnant.
Forgive me if I've missed something here, but what exactly does the ACLU have to do with the employment rules of Singapore and/or a Singaporean company?

It's SIA's policy to require pregnant cabin crew to be reassigned to ground duty (if a vacancy exists) or to resign after the first trimester. It appears that those who terminate employment may return to flight duty after giving birth. The policy is cited as being a safety consideration. Regardless of whether it suits your western/American(?) sensibilities, it is apparently perfectly legal in SIN.

The bigger question is why SIA is only providing two months pay to the FAs, when (as I understand it) they would have been entitled to 16 weeks of government paid leave had they been employed for at least 90 days prior to giving birth. Since the are NOT employed for the minimum time as a direct result of the company's policy, it would seem only appropriate for the company to provide the full 16 weeks of pay (rather than only half).

It seems FAs' only objection is to the inability to get the maternity pay they should be entitled to receive. I've seen no indication that anybody objects to the policy of being removed from flight duty, so it's impossible to tell whether this is a significant issue for them. For all you know, they're perfectly happy with the policy and just want their benefits.

All that said, it still has absolutely nothing to do with the American Civil Liberties Union...
Old Oct 19, 2010, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Originally Posted by djk7
It wasn't that many decades ago that FAs in the US had to be single, childless, under 30, and meet weight requirements to get and keep their jobs.
And then things just went down hill

Kidding...before I get death threats.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 10:10 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by armattheus
And then things just went down hill

Kidding...before I get death threats.
Too late, you are on their list already. Kidding or not!

LAX
Old Oct 20, 2010, 5:04 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Originally Posted by djk7
This is quite true, violate just one of these and you were terminated. The under 30 one is easy to avoid as most woman have at least 5 29 year birthdays!
Old Oct 20, 2010, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by sobore
This is quite true, violate just one of these and you were terminated. The under 30 one is easy to avoid as most woman have at least 5 29 year birthdays!
Gave a friend a pin for her 50th birthday that read "I'm not 50. I'm 29 with 21 years' experience."

(She was a very good friend, or I wouldn't have dared. Also, the birthday was actually 50+, though not very much of a +.)
Old Oct 20, 2010, 8:17 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
According to my grandmother she was -7 when she had my Mother.

Originally Posted by Efrem
Gave a friend a pin for her 50th birthday that read "I'm not 50. I'm 29 with 21 years' experience."

(She was a very good friend, or I wouldn't have dared. Also, the birthday was actually 50+, though not very much of a +.)
Old Oct 20, 2010, 10:56 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Yes, my wife has had well over 20 of them!
Old Oct 20, 2010, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
The under 30 one is easy to avoid as most woman have at least 5 29 year birthdays!
i know a lot of women like this....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.