Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

WSJ: Are Frequent-Flier Deals a Good Deal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2010, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

AUGUST 19, 2010

Investors who follow the adage buy low, sell high may want to avoid airline "bonus mileage" programs. Travelers who buy frequent-flier miles pay about 3 cents per mile, but then they typically redeem them for tickets at 1.5 cents each—or even less.
Mileage bonus programs—in which consumers buy frequent-flier miles directly from the airline—are popular with travelers. US Airways says about 5% of its customers are opting to pay to double or triple their miles when they buy tickets, and that revenue from mileage sales was up 236% in the first six months of this year compared to the same period of 2009. Sales on AirTran Airways' program are up 40% this year, a spokesman said. Alaska Airlines said its mileage sales are "very robust" and now top $1 million a month. United says it's doing 700 double- or triple-mileage transactions per day.
American Airlines won't say how many of its customers are buying since its May launch of the "Mileage Multiplier" promotion, where ticketed passengers can pay a fee and earn double or triple the miles on a trip. But some are going in for 10,000 and 20,000 miles.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...277727948.html
Old Aug 19, 2010, 4:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA *S, SPG/MR Gold, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, pleb in all the rest
Fortunately, extremely savvy investors (all present company included), know how to time things properly and "buy" low and redeem high. That might be the whole point of FT.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by canadian_golf_guy
Fortunately, extremely savvy investors (all present company included), know how to time things properly and "buy" low and redeem high. That might be the whole point of FT.
Right. And Scott forgot to mention US Air's perpetual 100% bonus offer.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 11:25 am

Programs: Fly Amtrak, Go Greyhound! I'm often wrong but always sincere.
I think the article is spot on that one of the only times buying miles makes sense is if you are trying to top off for a premium award.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OutOfOffice
I think the article is spot on that one of the only times buying miles makes sense is if you are trying to top off for a premium award.
^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.