Search

WSJ: Skipping the Line at Customs...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2010, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

WSJ: Skipping the Line at Customs...

THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

NOVEMBER 4, 2010

These days, you don't have to be rich and famous to get the VIP treatment and zip through some of the nation's busiest airport customs checkpoints.
International frequent fliers are hailing a program called Global Entry, a "trusted traveler" program run by U.S. Customs and Border Protection. To enroll, U.S. citizens and those with permanent-resident cards pay $100, pass a government background check and get fingerprinted. The program lets you use kiosks that take an average 40 seconds to clear, compared to one to three minutes with a customs agent plus a wait in line that can, at peak times at busy airports, stretch to an hour or more.
"You get a receipt and get out," said Peter Hughes, an investment banker who travels internationally often and loves Global Entry. "You'd be amazed the U.S. government is doing something so simple."
U.S. Customs says Global Entry enhances security by segregating low-risk travelers from people entering the country who might be considered a risk. The agency likes to call it "clearing hay from the haystack."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...059794010.html
Old Nov 4, 2010, 1:35 am

If it "clears hay from the haystack", surely it would save money & increase security by making it free.

But how long will it be before some Evul Turrist or Criminal passes the Global Entry checks and hence is "safe"?
Old Nov 4, 2010, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by alanR
But how long will it be before some Evul Turrist or Criminal passes the Global Entry checks and hence is "safe"?
good point....
Old Nov 4, 2010, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Glad to see that Global Entry is getting a bit of press! I've used it three times this year, and it is a wonderful system ^^
Old Nov 6, 2010, 2:31 am

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
Global Entry - I tried to sign up today -since I travel within and via the US every year yo Greece/Israel/Italy from Australia - but guess what ! Its not avialable to Australian citizens What ashame!!! Israel have been using a similar system since at least 4 yrs ago when I started holidaying there every year
Old Nov 6, 2010, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I always check luggage and have never had my luggage appear before I reach the carousel when returning to the US in over 100 international flight using 5 different entry points. This makes global entry useless for me.

On the other hand if one only carries on their luggage, it can be quite useful.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alanR
^
Old Nov 8, 2010, 5:53 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Glad to see that Global Entry is getting a bit of press! I've used it three times this year, and it is a wonderful system ^^
Too bad it's getting a bit of press .
When/if it becomes too popular, it may be bad for some of us (long lines at kiosks).
Old Nov 9, 2010, 9:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
Amazing what the government is willing to do for anyone who is willing to sign away all their rights and all their privacy.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by polonius
Amazing what the government is willing to do for anyone who is willing to sign away all their rights and all their privacy.
One could argue that they already have the information that one has to "sign away"..
Old Nov 10, 2010, 3:20 pm

Programs: sans status now :(
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
One could argue that they already have the information that one has to "sign away"..
Good point. They are going to scan your passport on entry either way....
Old Nov 10, 2010, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by polonius
You have few rights and no privacy at international frontiers to start with.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, DL Platinum Medallion, AF Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I always check luggage and have never had my luggage appear before I reach the carousel when returning to the US in over 100 international flight using 5 different entry points. This makes global entry useless for me.

On the other hand if one only carries on their luggage, it can be quite useful.
+1 on both counts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.