Wiki Posts
Search

Screaming child lands Qantas in court after sending woman deaf

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Screaming child lands Qantas in court after sending woman deaf

IT can be a traveller's great fear - sitting near a screaming child on a passenger plane.

US tourist Jean Barnard, who embarked on her dream holiday to Australia and New Zealand in January last year, alleges the trip became a nightmare when she boarded a Darwin-bound Qantas plane in Alice Springs, walked to her assigned seat and came face-to-face with a three-year-old boy across the aisle.

The boy allegedly leaned back over his armrest toward Ms Barnard and let out a scream so severe that blood erupted from her ears, leaving her "stone cold deaf".

No other passengers were injured.
Full Story

I recently had the privilege of sitting next to a screaming lap child on a UA flight in F from LAX to IAD. I figured that copious amounts of vodka would alleviate the problem but I could not get the child to drink it!

Anyway, I opted to consume it myself and woke up just before landing in IAD, having been oblivious to much of the child's tantrums through most of the flight.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:14 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
"The pain was so excruciating that I didn't even know I was deaf," Ms Barnard said
What kind of lung power does this superhero kid have?
Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by sobore

What kind of lung power does this superhero kid have?
y a superhero? maybe a superdemon!
Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:22 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Originally Posted by harpodamann
y a superhero? maybe a superdemon!
Thanks for the correction. ^
Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Actual photo of victim after landing

Old Jul 26, 2010, 4:53 pm

This sucks, but I don't see how the airline is responsible over the parents other than deeper pockets.

I would be in favor of not allowing kids under some certain age in premium cabins or have a kids section of the plane, like the last 10 rows or something.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
I don't think the kid had anything to do with it, I've been near screaming kids and my ears were fine.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott GLD, HH PLT, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by cubsfanjohn
i don't think the kid had anything to do with it, i've been near screaming kids and my ears were fine.
what? Sorry?
Old Jul 26, 2010, 7:53 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by burtonmadness
what? Sorry?
I can't hear him either!
Old Jul 26, 2010, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by CubsFanJohn
I don't think the kid had anything to do with it, I've been near screaming kids and my ears were fine.
Yeah, I don't likes too noisy inside the aircraft. The kids are not appropriate for the behaviors during in-flight. It should have to keep be quiet during in-flight is motion. These psasengers are complaining with the kids while the entire family were on their way to DRW. It should kept the mouth shut.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
"Thar's Gold in Them Thar Yells."
Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
Originally Posted by ffI
I can't hear him either!
What I tried to mean was that all the times I have sat by screaming kids on planes my ears have been fine afterwords. So I think she had a pre-existing condition.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
a scream so severe that blood erupted from her ears
I have two neices who can scream at a very high pitchc but so far no blood has erupted from my ears.

Here's the meat of this story to me:

Ms Barnard has been locked in a legal tussle with Qantas for more than a year, with the 67-year-old claiming she suffered severe and permanent injuries, including sudden sensio-neural hearing loss, from the child's scream and sought damages for physical and mental suffering, medical expenses and loss of impairment of earning capacity.

Her lawyer, Brian Lawler, argued Qantas was negligent because the plane's cabin and cockpit crew failed "to take all the necessary precautions to prevent the accident that resulted" in her "injury".

Qantas' US legal team vigorously fought the case, claiming there was evidence Ms Barnard had a hearing problem before she departed the US for Australia, and defended the flight staff and crew, telling the court: "Plaintiff's injuries, if any, were caused by the arbitrary and volitional act of a three-year-old child.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
that must have been one loud scream....
Old Jul 27, 2010, 12:38 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by tcook052
I have two neices who can scream at a very high pitchc but so far no blood has erupted from my ears.

Here's the meat of this story to me:

Ms Barnard has been locked in a legal tussle with Qantas for more than a year, with the 67-year-old claiming she suffered severe and permanent injuries, including sudden sensio-neural hearing loss, from the child's scream and sought damages for physical and mental suffering, medical expenses and loss of impairment of earning capacity.
I've never heard (sorry) of that condition; perhaps she's claiming to suffer from sudden sensorineural hearing loss. The Australian Associated Press needs better editors.

Her story sounds plausible (though the part about both ears makes me think it's more likely related to pressure change or something else)... I'll ask my friendly otolaryngologist about it.

Originally Posted by CubsFanJohn
What I tried to mean was that all the times I have sat by screaming kids on planes my ears have been fine afterwords. So I think she had a pre-existing condition.
Some pre-existing conditions are correlated with SSHL, and large changes in air pressure (e.g. flying in an aircraft) are also associated with SSHL, but, AFAIK, most cases of SSHL are idiopathic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.