Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

FDA report reveals airline food could pose health threat

FDA report reveals airline food could pose health threat

Old Jun 28, 10, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold and Silver Wings, AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Exclamation FDA report reveals airline food could pose health threat

Many meals served to passengers on major airlines are prepared in unsanitary and unsafe conditions that could lead to illness, government documents examined by USA TODAY show.

Food and Drug Administration (FDA) inspectors have cited numerous catering facilities that prepare airline food for suspected health and sanitation violations following inspections of their kitchens this year and last, according to inspection reports obtained through the Freedom of Information Act.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/fligh...ood28_ST_N.htm
Old Jun 28, 10, 9:38 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , PC Gold, SPG Gold, Avis PC - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
The FDA reports say many facilities store food at improper temperatures, use unclean equipment and employ workers who practice poor hygiene. At some, there were cockroaches, flies, mice and other signs of inadequate pest control.
Old Jun 28, 10, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold and Silver Wings, AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by sobore View Post
In the online version, at least, it's front-page above-the-fold news. Spare a thought for all those boarding this morning with their USA Today in hand. "Ah, just some bottled water for me, please..."
Old Jun 28, 10, 9:51 am

Programs: UA 1K
Go to your local restaurant

If you go to your local restaurant/wateringhole/diner you will see nothing different. I have been to many restaurants--even high end ones--in which I go to the the bathroom and I see the restaurant worker clearly urinate, rub his nose afterwards, pull the door handle, and walk back into the kitchen without washing his hands. This happens all the time.

I've never ever gotten sick from eating airline food. I love airplane food. I've been eating this stuff for years, and not once have I gotten sick. I fly 20-30 times per year, also, and never have I gotten sick.
Old Jun 28, 10, 10:03 am

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Unfortunately, this is nothing new. Internal reports at AA noted these sorts of things 20 years ago. Of course, at that time, the reports were more prevalent out of remote, international stations, but did happen in the U.S. as well.
Old Jun 28, 10, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Airline food is unhealthy? I'm shocked!

Old Jun 28, 10, 1:37 pm

Programs: Former United Airlines Mileage Plus One Hundred Thousand Mile 1K Flyer, former a lot of stuff
Originally Posted by SFflyer123 View Post
If you go to your local restaurant/wateringhole/diner you will see nothing different. I have been to many restaurants--even high end ones--in which I go to the the bathroom and I see the restaurant worker clearly urinate, rub his nose afterwards, pull the door handle, and walk back into the kitchen without washing his hands. This happens all the time.

And you go *back* to this place?
Old Jun 28, 10, 4:26 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
While I am glad the FDA monitors these things, if you didn't eat every time food could pose a health risk, you would starve to death. The risk begins at the source - the farm - long before it even gets to the kitchen where it will finally be prepared.
Old Jun 28, 10, 5:41 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH, Fairmont, NYSC (Passport), 24hrFitness-Super Sport
Originally Posted by You want to go where? View Post
While I am glad the FDA monitors these things, if you didn't eat every time food could pose a health risk, you would starve to death. The risk begins at the source - the farm - long before it even gets to the kitchen where it will finally be prepared.
+1
Old Jun 28, 10, 8:12 pm
Ambassador, China

Programs: TG, OZ, UA, AA
Though I eat airplane food, there is one ironclad rule I follow on flights: NEVER, but never, eat any cold seafood salad. Fish, shrimp, shellfish, etc. Too many people I know have done that and regretted it. It's just too hard to prepare and keep safe until serving, this type of dish. And when loaded on in developing countries, chances of it being contaminated are much higher than chances of it being safe. Pass the cold seafood by, no matter how tempting.
Old Jun 28, 10, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jiejie View Post
Though I eat airplane food, there is one ironclad rule I follow on flights: NEVER, but never, eat any cold seafood salad. Fish, shrimp, shellfish, etc..
Undoubtedly good advice, although we've enjoyed cold prawns on UA more than once. We're now avoiding the pre-landing hot breakfasts on flights across the pond, after some suspicious subsequent, ah, symptoms a couple of times.
Old Jun 28, 10, 11:40 pm
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
Originally Posted by jiejie View Post
Though I eat airplane food, there is one ironclad rule I follow on flights: NEVER, but never, eat any cold seafood salad. Fish, shrimp, shellfish, etc. Too many people I know have done that and regretted it. It's just too hard to prepare and keep safe until serving, this type of dish. And when loaded on in developing countries, chances of it being contaminated are much higher than chances of it being safe. Pass the cold seafood by, no matter how tempting.
Good cautionary advice, although I lack the will or strength to refuse something like this:

Old Jun 29, 10, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K
That's the thing; it's not just one place

Originally Posted by flyinryan View Post
And you go *back* to this place?
It's everywhere. I just got back from vacation, and I saw it at a vacation resort restaurant. It happens all the time; you just don't see it. If you saw what went on behind the scenes at a restaurant, you would never eat out again and you would think airline food was pretty good.