Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

Goodbye Air Jamaica. Plus, Aviation's Most Beautiful Logo

Old Apr 27, 10, 11:25 am
Original Poster

From the most recent installment of Patrick Smith's ASK THE PILOT column at Salon.com:

Disappearing airlines: Implications for safety, design and culture. Say goodbye to Air Jamaica and its perfect safety record. And, will aviation's most beautiful emblem ever return?

On Air Jamaica:

"....Air Jamaica is closing down. Effective this month, its routes are being taken over by Trinidad-based Caribbean Airlines, which will set up a hub in Kingston and become Jamaica's de facto national airline. Air Jamaica has been around since 1968, and its route system once reached Europe. Caribbean Airlines is itself something of a carpetbagger. For almost seven decades the airline of Trinidad and Tobago was BWIA -- British West Indian Airways. Founded in 1939, BWIA had become the largest airline in the Caribbean and, like Air Jamacia, flew as far as Europe. BWIA shut down on the last day of 2006 after a series of failed labor negotiations, and Caribbean Airlines was created to take its place ... One thing Air Jamaica and BWIA both shared:a virtually perfect safety record..."

On the Japan Airlines logo:

"...Here's hoping that as part of JAL's inevitable rebranding it decides to bring back its famous crane motif, the tsurumaru. Since 1960 every JAL aircraft featured this stylized depiction of the crane, lifting its wings into the circular suggestion of a rising sun. It was, at least in my opinion, the most elegant airline logos ever conceived. Alas, beginning in 2002 this ageless symbol succumbed to what is probably the most regrettable makeover in aviation history, replaced by something so awful that every JAL plane deserves to be concealed under a black tarp: a giant, blood-red "rising splotch" oozing across the tailfin. Unpardonable, especially as the crane holds such cultural importance in Japan...."

The full article is here:

http://www.salon.com/technology/ask_...ane/index.html

Entry to Salon is free.
Old Apr 27, 10, 11:29 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Say it ain't so, mon.
Old Apr 28, 10, 5:02 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Where is the link in the article. I refuse to google it myself. What the heck?
Old May 1, 10, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Spiff View Post
Say it ain't so, mon.
Yeah, I can't says something about JM is long gone forever. I know CAL will takeover by replaceable JM to startup the hub in KIN & MBJ, too. Do you really think B6 will eventually to be announce nonstop FLL-KIN/MBJ, too. NK should have to increasing the frequencies for FLL-KIN/MBJ to be competitive against Caribbean Air Lines. B6 will have to take the advantage of the specific new routes to be added from FLL.
Old May 2, 10, 12:01 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
I used to love seeing their old Airbuses ambling along the runway at LHR, taking off a split second before you'd swear that they would overrun.
Old May 2, 10, 5:42 am
In Memoriam

I couldn't be happier...
good riddance to the crooks!
Old May 2, 10, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajax View Post
I used to love seeing their old Airbuses ambling along the runway at LHR, taking off a split second before you'd swear that they would overrun.
Yeah, you realize know JM has flies nonstop from MBJ-LHR from some long time ago.
Old May 3, 10, 12:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by ajax View Post
If you ever saw the sheer volume of baggage people were presenting at the Air Jamaica check-in counter, you'd know why their planes needed the entire length of the runway to get off the lounge.
Old May 4, 10, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh View Post
If you ever saw the sheer volume of baggage people were presenting at the Air Jamaica check-in counter, you'd know why their planes needed the entire length of the runway to get off the lounge.
Yes, I noticing that I saw too many bags at the ticket counter. Because the customers who doesn't understanding follow the specific rules. It should have 2 checked bags is free of charge. Due to weight restrictions where A320 cannot handling on the payload restrictions. I Know the customers who doesn't need to being screened the CTX machines at JFK or FLL. They will have avoid from TSA screening the CTX machines or L3 communications. I knew it was too many low false alarm rates while the bags is being screened into the x-ray machines.
Old May 4, 10, 8:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Yes, I noticing that I saw too many bags at the ticket counter. Because the customers who doesn't understanding follow the specific rules. It should have 2 checked bags is free of charge. Due to weight restrictions where A320 cannot handling on the payload restrictions. I Know the customers who doesn't need to being screened the CTX machines at JFK or FLL. They will have avoid from TSA screening the CTX machines or L3 communications. I knew it was too many low false alarm rates while the bags is being screened into the x-ray machines.
You are talking about the US, where the piece concept was used by Air Jamaica. I'm talking about LHR (where I worked for BA a couple of summers during my college days), and where Air Jamaica at one point had a One piece/20Kg limit. People would roll up to the AJ check-in counters with a couple of absolutely monster sized suitcases, a couple of cardboard boxes and tons of hand baggage, with no intention whatsoever of paying a penny in excess baggage charges. It was amazing to watch the interaction between staff and passengers.
Old May 5, 10, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh View Post
People would roll up to the AJ check-in counters with a couple of absolutely monster sized suitcases, a couple of cardboard boxes and tons of hand baggage, with no intention whatsoever of paying a penny in excess baggage charges. It was amazing to watch the interaction between staff and passengers.
I heard bartering (chickens) still works in Nevada; it's possible to barter with a box of spicy Jamaican beef patties as payment for excess baggage charges.