Child directs airplanes over radio transmissions at JFK airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Child directs airplanes over radio transmissions at JFK airport

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by beckoa
Sounds like this was found on liveatc.net... wonder if it will cause any issues with this cool service?

But rough to hear about the towers... was hoping for a tour during our Spring Break Do in ANC (see signature)...
I doubt that, as ATC communications are made in the clear that anyone with a cheap scanner from Radio Shack could hear.

It's tough to gauge how the uninformed overreaction on this incident will make it down to the operational level, but I'll go out on a limb and say that public visits to ATC facilities will go on, with the explicit exception of open mike night.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 6:23 am

While am the first to scream blue bloody murder I too am split on this one because I do know just how much visits like this mean to kids and how it can influence their choice of job far in the future.

Before going overboard in this case I would check if this child was indeed supervised appropreately then I see no problem with it. I mean I flew many times as a kid and the visit to the cockpit was the highlight of every flight. Sure I was never put in the pilot seat and allowed to fly but I could ask all the questions I wanted.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by djlndc
Once again, the media has sensationalized this into a bigger story than it actually is.
Yup. While the broadcast media found out about this a day or so ago, my kid (flight sim / virtual airline prodigy) says this tape was kicking around on atc.net about three weeks ago, and none of the professionals who frequent that site gave it a second thought. It's only the holier-than-thou high dudgeon of NBC News, combined with the fact that there are tapes and therefore something to broadcast, that propelled this story onto the, uh. radar.

The aviation industry has much bigger things to worry about, doesn't it?
Old Mar 5, 2010, 9:05 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
CNN: Memo blasts air traffic controller and supervisor over 'kids' incident

"Unauthorized and unprofessional" is how an internal memo describes the conduct of an air traffic controller, who allegedly allowed his two young children to speak with pilots on an air traffic control frequency, and his supervisor, who allegedly allowed it to happen.

The memo, dated February 25, was written after the facilities manager for the air traffic control tower at New York's John F. Kennedy Airport learned about the incident, a source familiar with the investigation told CNN.
In the associated video, a former NTSB Managing Director criticizes the controller, while a CNN legal analyst espouses my personal view that this is all blown completely out of proportion, noting that the controller was on the headset the whole time, actually controlling traffic, and just telling his son what to say. The former NTSB MD tries to raise the issue of the Aeroflot crash where the pilot let his son sit in the pilot seat, and both the analyst and Campbell Brown call him out for making an unfair comparison.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.