Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel News
Reload this Page >

'Drunk Brits' Spark Heathrow Terror Alert

Old Jan 8, 10, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AB Platinum (AB4EVA), IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott Silver

Emirates EK004 was already on the runway when it was directed to a remote part of Heathrow to be boarded by armed forces on friday.

Two males have been arrested and quickly removed from the plane, while the police performed searches with sniffer dogs.
Apparently a "verbal threat of some kind" was made, overheard and reported to members of the crew who obviously reacted accordingly.
At the moment it is thought to be only a verbal threat, but investigation ensues until police are satisfied.

Source: Sky News (UK)
Old Jan 8, 10, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold and Silver Wings, AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Early indications are that the miscreants are what the British so descriptively refer to as yobs.
Old Jan 8, 10, 7:51 pm

I think the Brits get a bad rap for their drunken debauchery; not that I'm defending these knuckleheads. I know we have our own fair share of boozers over here on this side of the pond. I do have to admit, I always look forward to the annual January 1 edition of the UK Telegraph with all the drunken Brits passed out after a night of New Year's revelry.
Old Jan 8, 10, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AB Platinum (AB4EVA), IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott Silver
True

... I didn't quite expect that the discussion would lead to this, but this is a serious issue in this beautiful country... and actually one of the reasons that made me move my main residence back to the continent.
I just hate the fact that going out after midnight, most people are hardly able to pronounce their own names anymore, and not particularly peaceful either. Pub closing hours surrounded by the police - for a reason.
Old Jan 9, 10, 2:10 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by raph View Post
... I didn't quite expect that the discussion would lead to this, but this is a serious issue in this beautiful country... and actually one of the reasons that made me move my main residence back to the continent.
I just hate the fact that going out after midnight, most people are hardly able to pronounce their own names anymore, and not particularly peaceful either. Pub closing hours surrounded by the police - for a reason.
With the risk of this going too OMNI...

Generally speaking:

1) Alcohol is too cheap in this country.
2) The underlying rage over inherent perceived unfairness and inequality in our society has existed for generations if not centuries. People are generally impotent to deal with it. Using alcohol as a release valve for this frustration has become codified in societal behaviour.
3) English culture promotes suppression (or at least curtailing) of the expression of emotion. I would argue that this is generally not healthy. Everyone needs to express their emotions frequently. When people in this country drink, they overcompensate for this reason and it all comes out at once.
Old Jan 9, 10, 3:43 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
maybe their team lost its football match?
Old Jan 9, 10, 9:41 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold and Silver Wings, AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by goalie View Post
or won it, or maybe was playing the next day.
Old Jan 9, 10, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by goalie View Post
Few if any matches are played on Fridays and given the current weather it's unlikely it would have been played even if there was
Old Jan 9, 10, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by djlndc View Post
I do have to admit, I always look forward to the annual January 1 edition of the UK Telegraph with all the drunken Brits passed out after a night of New Year's revelry.
I like driving around South London in the morning on new years day. Belisha beacons knocked over, tyre marks across Mitcham Green, the odd drunk sleeping in a Sainsbury's trolley at the bottom of Bedford Hill, that kind of thing.
Old Jan 9, 10, 1:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Indian Railways Wallah Program
Originally Posted by ajax View Post

Generally speaking:

2) The underlying rage over inherent perceived unfairness and inequality in our society has existed for generations if not centuries. People are generally impotent to deal with it. Using alcohol as a release valve for this frustration has become codified in societal behaviour.
3) English culture promotes suppression (or at least curtailing) of the expression of emotion. I would argue that this is generally not healthy. Everyone needs to express their emotions frequently. When people in this country drink, they overcompensate for this reason and it all comes out at once.
How Hogarthian.
Old Jan 9, 10, 2:35 pm

Programs: GGL, Cats protection

Generally speaking:

yes, a couple of quid extra would pay for police, hospitals, compensation to victims of the action of drunks and onging costs to the NHS

most of the drunks round our street ( 2 doors from a pub) seem fairly harmless, only 2 shouting matches in 10 months, last night, however, the head of a snowman was placed neatly on the bonnet of my car like a mascott
Old Jan 9, 10, 4:35 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by cj001f View Post
How Hogarthian.
What do you mean?
Old Jan 9, 10, 6:22 pm

What do you mean?
William Hogarth was an 18th-century British painter who was known for satirizing the society of his day with some graphic paintings that revealed the strange and sometimes cruel nature of social customs. His depictions led to similar displays being described as Hogarthian.

I've heard legends of certain FT Dos, for example...
Old Jan 9, 10, 8:55 pm

Programs: I am a lowly ant

Generally speaking:

When I was in Belgium, I was told that beer was cheaper than water. Something like 30 cents for 2 litres. No ASBOs there.

2) The underlying rage over inherent perceived unfairness and inequality in our society has existed for generations if not centuries.
I don't think the thought process extends that far. People have become accustomed to drunkenness, I doubt they could spell inequality, let alone rage against it.

The Germans? Consume more alcohol than we do, and known neither for their expressiveness, nor for alcohol-related anti-social behaviour

Again, I don't think this needs psychoanalysis, people do it because it is the local custom.
Old Jan 9, 10, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by djlndc View Post
I think the Brits get a bad rap for their drunken debauchery; not that I'm defending these knuckleheads. I know we have our own fair share of boozers over here on this side of the pond.
Sorry, but it's not "a bad rap", it's a fact and a true problem.

Cheap alcohol fuels health crisis
Quarter of England's adults classed as 'hazardous' drinkers

Search this Thread
Search Engine: