Search

Man Arrested in ’68 Hijacking of Flight

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2009, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, BA Avios, AMEX Plat
Man Arrested in ’68 Hijacking of Flight

NYTimes:

A man wanted for hijacking a flight out of New York 40 years ago was arrested Sunday after arriving on a flight from Cuba, federal authorities said.

Longtime fugitive Luis Armando Pena Soltren was wanted for his role in the Nov. 24, 1968, hijacking of a Pan Am flight bound for Puerto Rico. The 66-year-old Soltren was arrested at John F. Kennedy International Airport, federal prosecutors said.

Soltren was expected to be arraigned Tuesday in Manhattan on a 1968 indictment.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2009...ng-Arrest.html
Old Oct 11, 2009, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Great job for FBI is found him and now to be captured him as charge of hijacking the plane out of JFK. So I can't believe it and its has been wait for 40 years. I am really proud of FBI are very hard work for searching the suspected who hijacking the plane out of JFK. He will never get out of jails for rest his life. And now, to be done the mission accompanied.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 10:11 pm

Programs: DSM, USDM, BAEC, AAAdvan
The guy obviously thought his crime would have been forgotten by now, otherwise he would not have put himself in a position to be arrested. But as Forrest Gump said, "Stupid is as stupid does".
Old Oct 11, 2009, 10:21 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ExitRowOrElse
The guy obviously thought his crime would have been forgotten by now, otherwise he would not have put himself in a position to be arrested.
It's not obvious that he thought as you suggest. Do you realize that there are those in the employ of our government who are not above lying and engaging in other deceptive activity in order to convince a suspect to move himself/herself into a position that is more convenient for the government to get its way?
Old Oct 12, 2009, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
It's not obvious that he thought as you suggest. Do you realize that there are those in the employ of our government who are not above lying and engaging in other deceptive activity in order to convince a suspect to move himself/herself into a position that is more convenient for the government to get its way?
In this case, the hijacker wanted to see his family members who resided in the US/Puerto Rico, so he made arrangements with the Feds. 40 years in exile apparently was enough.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 9:32 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
Do you realize that there are those in the employ of our government who are not above lying and engaging in other deceptive activity in order to convince a suspect to move himself/herself into a position that is more convenient for the government to get its way?
Yeah, this poor guy is a victim.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 9:40 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MarqFlyer
Yeah, this poor guy is a victim.
Your post is the only one here which has said he is a victim.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 10:34 am

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
I'm buyin'

Do you realize that there are those in the employ of our government who are not above lying and engaging in other deceptive activity in order to convince a suspect to move himself/herself into a position that is more convenient for the government to get its way?
I'd like to meet some of these 'deceptive' guys. The drinks would be on me!
Old Oct 17, 2009, 9:21 pm

Yes, the old but good "suitable pretext". A valuable tool.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by thebat
I'd like to meet some of these 'deceptive' guys. The drinks would be on me!
It's very funny. I don't think you shouldn't buying a drink. It will be very big problems for drinkable the alcohol.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 10:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
What's the point of arresting someone 40 years after the fact for taking a joy ride? It simply demonstrates the mentality of US security personnel - small minded men with many years of failure under their belts have to do something to prove themselves as being worthy I suppose
Old Oct 17, 2009, 11:48 pm

Your post is the only one here which has said he is a victim.
Your post is the only one here implying he is. You clearly stated that his capture was one of convenience for the feds because of deception thus implying he is a victim of our big, bad lying authorities...
Old Oct 18, 2009, 7:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by United737522
Your post is the only one here implying he is. You clearly stated that his capture was one of convenience for the feds because of deception thus implying he is a victim of our big, bad lying authorities...
GUWonder did not say, nor imply that the guy is a victim. YOur post is the only post making the claim.
Forcing your interpretation on another's words is not conducive to a discussion. Luring a person into a situation into a situation where the law can reach them is a technique used by our LEOs. Whether the person lured was guilty or innocent depends on each individual case. What do you think sting operations are?
Old Oct 18, 2009, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
What's the point of arresting someone 40 years after the fact for taking a joy ride? It simply demonstrates the mentality of US security personnel - small minded men with many years of failure under their belts have to do something to prove themselves as being worthy I suppose
So which crimes do you choose to enforce the laws against and which do you not? Who gets to make those decisions?
Old Oct 18, 2009, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
Yea, bringing guns and knives onto an airplane and hijacking it to Cuba is my definition of joyriding.

Originally Posted by Yaatri
What do you think sting operations are?
I think they are great tools to get morons off the streets. Please explain to me which part of GUWonder's post doesn't imply that the government is the offender and the victim is the criminal?

...those in the employ of our government who are not above lying and engaging in other deceptive activity in order to convince a suspect to move himself/herself into a position that is more convenient for the government to get its way?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.