Wiki Posts
Search

The OMNI Exercise Blog...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2006, 3:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by annerj
You are an ANIMAL!!! Nice run. I'd love to get back to near an 8pace (8:23 for a 10k is my PR....back in '03). Maybe '07 I'll train for 10k speed and see if I can do it.
LOL, thanks. I didn't feel like an animal.. pretty winded at parts there.

Can you believe that to qualify for Boston one has to run a marathon in 3:10 (for males 18-34). Absolutely insane. That means you're running 26 miles at 7:15 pace. I can barely do one mile at that pace.

Q Times (I think I'll wait for my 80th birthday to start trying to qualify):

AGE GROUP MEN WOMEN
18-34 3hrs 10min 3hrs 40min
35-39 3hrs 15min 3hrs 45min
40-44 3hrs 20min 3hrs 50min
45-49 3hrs 30min 4hrs 00min
50-54 3hrs 35min 4hrs 05min
55-59 3hrs 45min 4hrs 15min
60-64 4hrs 00min 4hrs 30min
65-69 4hrs 15min 4hrs 45min
70-74 4hrs 30min 5hrs 00min
75-79 4hrs 45min 5hrs 15min
80 and over 5hrs 00min 5hrs 30min
Old Jan 12, 2006, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by magiciansampras

Q Times (I think I'll wait for my 80th birthday to start trying to qualify):

AGE GROUP ..... MEN ..... WOMEN

80 and over 5hrs 00min 5hrs 30min
SWEET....my goal for my first marathon is the same as the 80 and over Boston Q time!!!!!
Old Jan 12, 2006, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by nd_eric_77
Ditto on the great pace by MagicianSampras. My old PR on a 5k (when I was in MUCH better shape) was 7:51. I remember because I was hoping to come in sub-24, but ended up at 24:19.

Wierd thing is the web results are still posted.
http://www.coolrunning.com/results/0...thGr_set1.html
15:31 was the winning time for that particular race. That's some fast running right there. Yikes.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 3:52 pm

Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
15:31 was the winning time for that particular race. That's some fast running right there. Yikes.
Very flat course
Old Jan 12, 2006, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by annerj
SWEET....my goal for my first marathon is the same as the 80 and over Boston Q time!!!!!
I ran a triathlon about 20 years ago, and finished right behind the over 70 age group winner. I couldn't figure out why everyone was cheering as I approached the finish.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 11:48 pm

Another 45 minutes on the elliptical machine tonight. Tomorrow will be a challenge, as I am flying red-eye back to IAH (DEN-ATL-IAH). Feels good to be back in the swing of things. Now if I can just stick-to-it and eat less, might just lose some weight.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

4 Miler in last night. Travel home day today and then headed into Wyoming for some snowmoible action (So probably a day off unless I can catch a standby flight today). Will push my long run from Sunday to Saturday morning so we can head out.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 2:30 pm

After yesterday's speedy session, I decided to do an easy 5 miler today. My forerunner was a bit off and for some reason had me doing 5.16 miles but I know the course is only 5.03 miles, so something wasn't quite right. I think it's actually my fault because I started the GPS a bit earlier than I usually do and might have not reset it correctly the first time.

Anyway, it was a nice 5 miler at a 8:30 pace, nice and slow. Finished in 43 minutes. Forerunner 201 tells me I burned 791 calories in that effort.

Tomorrow is a rest day (football, pizza, beer) before a long run of 9ish on Sunday.

Have a great long weekend OMNI exercisers!
Old Jan 14, 2006, 8:43 am

Anyone interested in being part of the first National Marathon in Washington, D.C. on March 25? Downtown DC has tried marathons in the past (and gone out of business trying to do it), but I have faith in this one. It's run by a good group and they're limiting the field to 5000 for the first race, a good move in my opinion.

I think I'll do the half since I just found out about this and don't really have a ton of time to train for the full marathon (waiting for the Fall to run my next marathon).

Anyone want to make the trip?

http://www.nationalmarathon.com/
Old Jan 14, 2006, 10:10 pm

45 minutes elliptical w/ arms friday... had been planning to take an easy day but ended up doing moderately intense. Saturday, did 30 minutes moderate on elliptical w/ arms and then 20 more on elliptical w/out arms (i like to practice balance by not using the handles on the machine). Sunday will be a rest day in preparation for hitting the slopes Monday. After my sickness / getting out of the habit for a few days, I have done cardio workouts for 5 days in a row going into tomorrow's rest, so thats good.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

did my weightlifting routine. Including 20 deadlifts up to 276 - 326 pounds. I focused on not tensing my jaw. I have gotten headaches in the past that coincide with DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness). Since I've been doing breathing exercises I am not nearly as sore anymore, but I have still been often getting the headache. My new theory is that it comes from tensing jaw muscles so I shall see if I can do something about that.
Old Jan 15, 2006, 9:38 am

It is absolutely freezing outside and I woke up still a bit sore. I think this is a good indication that I should take an extra rest day before doing a 9-10 miler tomorrow.

So, another rest day for me. Maybe I'll go for a walk.
Old Jan 15, 2006, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was 37 and I went for a short run. Sometimes a good idea the day after weightlifting.

Anyone else ever read Stuart McRobert's stuff on lifting?
Old Jan 16, 2006, 12:38 pm

What a terrible run.

Let me set the stage for you. I woke up this morning quite refreshed after two days off, ready for my longish run of ~ 9 miles as I build up distance for a half marathon I am running at the end of February. The temperature outside in Boston is about 25 degrees, with a wind chill of 14 degrees. So it's going to be a pretty cold run. I also got new shoes (not new as in model, new as in a new pair of the model I run in) a couple days ago and this will be my first run in them of any substantial distance.

I set out at about 11:30am. My first two miles are at a slowish pace as I warm up, get used to the cold weather, and test out the new shoes. Right at about mile 2 the fun starts: runner's trots. This has happened to me before, but typically only in races when I'm nervous/anxious/etc., it doesn't typically happen on a training run. For those of you not familiar, runner's trots is basically diaharea caused by running - if it doesn't happen to you, be glad! I blame it on the Thai shrimp my wife and I cooked up last night (new recipe).

So at this point I have a couple choices. I can be a real man and just crap my pants and keep running. As I'm not about to win the Boston Marathon, this isn't a real appealing option. I could look to find a public restroom somewhere, the odds of success hard to say. Or I could head back home. I headed back home. For those that have experienced the runner's trots, running makes it worse. So I basically ran/walked the 0.5 miles (luckily I wasn't too far from home as the crow flies because I was doing a loop and could just cut across the loop) home and took care of business.

After about a 30 minute timeout to flush out the system, rehydrate, etc., I was back on the road. The trots took a bit out of me and miles 3-9 were basically done between 8:20 and 8:35 pace. I was constantly monitoring the situation, hoping they wouldn't come back. That probably slowed me down a bit.. but luckily they did not. My new shoes made my feet fairly sore after about mile 5, so that added to the fun.

Finished the run of 9.02 miles in 1:14:49 or 8:17 pace. Forerunner 201 tells me that I burned a well deserved 1416 calories. Taking a break in the middle wasn't all that helpful in terms of making this a training run, but at least I got through it.

Stats for the week (1/8 - 1/14) are 25.33 miles, 3:24:35 total running time, average pce of 8:04 and a total of 3949 calories burned. At the end of this week I'll hop on the scale and see how I'm doing in terms of wait loss.

I think this next week might be a bit of a step-back week since I took an extra day off yesterday. Maybe I'll focus a bit more on a tempo/speed work. Next long run should be about 10 miles either Saturday or Sunday.

Glad the run today is over. Although I guess what they say is true: it's the hard days that give you the most benefit.

How did you guys do this week?

Last edited by magiciansampras; Jan 16, 2006 at 3:26 pm
Old Jan 16, 2006, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
I can be a real man and just crap my pants and keep running.
Sorry to laugh at your misfortune, but this is the best line I've read all day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.