Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness
Reload this Page >

The OMNI Exercise Blog...

The OMNI Exercise Blog...

Old Jan 21, 2006, 1:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Today I had an enjoyable fairly easy run. It was in the 50s in Boston, although the wind was pretty dramatic. I felt like I was running into fairly consistent 20-30mph winds (half the time headwind, half the time tailwind). Better to have the wind when it's 50s than 20s out though.

I only did 4.25 miles because that's a convenient loop from where I live, my legs are a bit tired and I'm going on a long walk this evening. Total time was 33:30 with an average pace of 7:52/mile. Calories burned: 681. I'm quite happy how my pace seems to be getting faster even though I don't feel like I am pushing it any harder. That speedwork really does work wonders!

pinniped, how was the race?
Old Jan 21, 2006, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Weights this morning. I lift 2 times/week with one on the road by myself and one on the weekend with a partner. Its amazing how much harder I lift with another person.

Only a 7 mile long run scheduled for Sunday!!! My legs are in need of a break so it will be nice.

annerj
Old Jan 22, 2006, 11:05 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I had a great race yesterday - 1:53:19. Weather held up and the footing wasn't nearly as bad as expected. Temp was about 35 with a headwind most of the way, so I was starting to get pretty cold at the end. The hills were tough but I ran them a lot better than I've ever run a hilly race before. Having the Garmin helped out a lot because this would have otherwise been a really hard one to pace. I came through the first 8 miles on about an 8:15 pace and then held up pretty well in the slop. It felt good to pass people coming in...quite a few people were slowing down to a near-walk on the trails.

Next weekend I'm running a 10K entirely in caves, so it will (of course) feature perfect weather and flat, wide roads designed for 18-wheeler traffic. Should be fun...
Old Jan 22, 2006, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had a little mishap lifting yesterday.

I partially unloaded one side of the bar and forgot to unload the other. I started to do a deadlift and it felt wildly unbalanced (obviously) and I dropped it. My right knee, the side that was loaded, is a little sore. No big deal, fortunately. It's little things like this that help us be more careful.
Old Jan 22, 2006, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped
Next weekend I'm running a 10K entirely in caves, so it will (of course) feature perfect weather and flat, wide roads designed for 18-wheeler traffic. Should be fun...
Congrats on the sub 2 hours!!!!!

Do you have a link for this cave race....sounds super cool. May be a 10k I'd travel for one of these years.
Old Jan 22, 2006, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by annerj
Congrats on the sub 2 hours!!!!!

Do you have a link for this cave race....sounds super cool. May be a 10k I'd travel for one of these years.
Sure...it's the Groundhog Run. I think I read somewhere that the 3,000 total runners in the 5K and 10K makes it the largest underground race in the world.

http://www.childrenstlc.org/groundhog.html
Old Jan 22, 2006, 6:33 pm

I don't get it.. it's literally in caves? Do they light the caves? What's the temp like under there? Water stations? Amazing.
Old Jan 22, 2006, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
I don't get it.. it's literally in caves? Do they light the caves? What's the temp like under there? Water stations? Amazing.
Yes - the cave network north of Kansas City is actually quite huge - many, many miles of underground roads and a huge amount of warehouse space. Document storage companies, the federal government, and all sorts of light-industrial companies lease space in the caves. The roads throughout the network are very well-lit, wide, and paved. Plenty big enough for big rigs to come and go.

This race only takes place in a small part of the subtropolis. Temperature is around 60 degrees in there year round. Aid stations are normal - I think you pass two of them (maybe 3) for the 10K.

There is a lot of interesting trivia about the subtropolis - for example, Ted Turner keeps a collection of original film reels in there. Name a classic movie, and chances are...it's in the caves. And supposedly the federal government has an enormous stash of cheese in there, although that sounds a bit urban-legendish to me. The FBI does lease a lot of space there, so there's plenty of folklore about what kind of documents they might have down there...

The only thing I really know about the caves is that they are a good place to do some January racin'.
Old Jan 22, 2006, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
two miles at the Ad. club in DFW tonight.. that hit the spot
Old Jan 22, 2006, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
two miles at the Ad. club in DFW tonight.. that hit the spot
Is there a gym in there? Can I pay to get in?

I got my scheduled 7 miler in today.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Alt cardio night last night so I did 12 minutes of ellipse, 12 minutes of stair stepper and 12 minutes of bike. 4-5 miler tonight.

My calves are a bit sore this week

14 weeks until the race!!!!
Old Jan 24, 2006, 7:38 am

Did a 6-mile slow recovery run on Sunday - didn't even take the Garmin - I figure I was running 9:30's. Maybe slower.

Did 6.4 yesterday in 54:10. Still feeling a bit sore from that hard half this weekend. Today is a much-needed rest day.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quick question about these Gamins. Do they have settings for other activities? Could you wear it while on a bike? Would it keep up at the kind of speed?
Old Jan 24, 2006, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by annerj
Quick question about these Gamins. Do they have settings for other activities? Could you wear it while on a bike? Would it keep up at the kind of speed?
Hey sorry annerj, you asked me this before and I didn't respond. Yep, they can be used on a bike. I've done this before (not going extremely fast, maybe 20mph or so) and it had no problem keeping up.

The only thing I don't know is if the software is smart enough to distinguish between runs and biking, so you might have all of your totals mixed. But there's probably some way to tag them individually.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
The only thing I don't know is if the software is smart enough to distinguish between runs and biking, so you might have all of your totals mixed. But there's probably some way to tag them individually.
Thanks! That thing would show some serious calorie burn if it thought you were running 20mph!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.