Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness
Reload this Page >

Traveling with (lots of) medication

Old Jan 7, 2024, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Hi there! I am currently dealing with a bit of a health issue, and as a result, I am taking a fair bit of medication. I'm struggling to figure out a good way to keep on schedule while traveling, particularly internationally, as well as a good way to carry all of this medication.

I'm testing out a pill reminder app, and it's sort of ok, but some of my medications need to be taken with food, and there's no option for "take with breakfast," so I'm just trying to set a reminder for approximating when I might eat, but it's somewhat imperfect. For travel, I've basically loaded up 2 large ziplocs with all of my various pills and inhalers, but it feels bulky and inefficient (medication and related products are currently taking up half of my carry-on).

Curious as to what everyone else is doing!

Thanks!
Old Jan 21, 2024, 6:03 pm

Don't know what app you're using, but Medisafe app allows you set it to "take with/before/after food" as appropriate.

Whatever you do, make sure every prescription is in its original, labeled container. If the dispensed container holds more than you need to travel with, ask the pharmacy for a smaller container with a prescription label for the quantity you need for a trip. Crossing International borders with unlabeled pill containers is a good way to mess up your trip, and the TSA has been known to get very nosy about pills (not that doing so is part of their job )
Old Jan 28, 2024, 9:23 am

Pillbox

Originally Posted by Buster
Hi there! I am currently dealing with a bit of a health issue, and as a result, I am taking a fair bit of medication. I'm struggling to figure out a good way to keep on schedule while traveling, particularly internationally, as well as a good way to carry all of this medication.

I'm testing out a pill reminder app, and it's sort of ok, but some of my medications need to be taken with food, and there's no option for "take with breakfast," so I'm just trying to set a reminder for approximating when I might eat, but it's somewhat imperfect. For travel, I've basically loaded up 2 large ziplocs with all of my various pills and inhalers, but it feels bulky and inefficient (medication and related products are currently taking up half of my carry-on).

Curious as to what everyone else is doing!

Thanks!
When I'm ill I use schedule pillbox with timings when I need to use pills, helps a lot!
Old Feb 5, 2024, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

FWIW, I ended up using a giant ziploc with all of my meds, because I did want to keep everything in its original containers. I am using an app called Take Your Pill and it's working ok. I tried MedSafe but found it less flexible than this one. It doesn't let me add "take with food" but I've ended up setting times that approximate breakfast and dinner, so it's ok.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 11:41 pm

Have you considered using a medication organizer with compartments for different times of the day? It could help keep your pills organized and ensure you take them with the appropriate meals. As for travel, investing in a compact travel pill organizer might lighten your load and make it easier to manage your medication while on the go.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 1:23 pm

Ditch the ziplocs! There are some really cool pill organizers out there now. Weekly ones are great, some even have compartments for AM/PM or specific meals. They can be a lifesaver for keeping things organized.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.