Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel Health and Fitness
Reload this Page >

Syncope Treatment/Procedure During Flight

Old Dec 5, 19, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Does anyone know if airlines have specific policies for dealing with in-flight syncope?

When not flying, I understand the guidelines are to lay the patient down and raise their legs, but if a patient passes out while seated, and the seat belt sign is on, is there a usual/standard procedure which is different?

I know there have been some studies done (KLM, 2008), but I was wondering if there are recommended policies/procedures in the event the standard treatment cannot be followed (such as the seat belt sign being on). I've read some threads on the forums, but couldn't find an answer, and some of the threads were quite old.

Thanks very much.
Old Dec 5, 19, 6:49 pm

Programs: QF WP
On the ground the alternative is sticking your head between your legs, somewhat like the brace position. Of course also could be tricky in some seats
Old Dec 5, 19, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply; it's a good point. I think in an economy seat, it would be near impossible for someone to put their head between their knees, so we're wondering, if they do pass out while seated, what exactly might happen (aside from someone helping to keep them upright for the minute or so it might take for them to regain consciousness)? We also trying to figure out, if the seat belt sign is on, what help, if any, would be available. Our concern is injury caused by hitting their head should they faint, or hurting a muscle by suddenly slumping over sideways. We understand hitting the seat in front is perhaps pretty unlikely to cause cuts or bruises, but there's still a risk. We're just not sure how that risk could be better mitigated.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: