Search

Vitamin B12

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2019, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Vitamin B12

My doc recommended I start taking B12. Does anyone know the normal daily recommended dosage? I did some googling but wasn't familiar with the units that were recommended. For example, my fish oil are 1000 mg capsules. I didn't see that unit when looking at B12.

any help would be appreciated before I knock back 10 of 'em.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 2:20 pm

Natural question is why not ask your doctor (you might be able to send a secure message through an online health portal)

I would just buy a bottle of B12 from a reputable brand on Amazon and follow the labeled dosing suggestion.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian
My doc recommended I start taking B12. Does anyone know the normal daily recommended dosage? I did some googling but wasn't familiar with the units that were recommended. For example, my fish oil are 1000 mg capsules. I didn't see that unit when looking at B12.

any help would be appreciated before I knock back 10 of 'em.
I agree about asking your doctor since he is the one who recommended them. If you have a shortage he may want you to take more than the normal daily dose.
BTW--I could never take fish oil because I would burp that fishy taste all day. Someone recommended the Trader Joe Omega 3--they are marked odorless and they really are!
Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://www.drweil.com/vitamins-supp...ay-to-get-b12/
Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by corky
I agree about asking your doctor since he is the one who recommended them. If you have a shortage he may want you to take more than the normal daily dose...
+1
Originally Posted by corky
...BTW--I could never take fish oil because I would burp that fishy taste all day. Someone recommended the Trader Joe Omega 3--they are marked odorless and they really are!
My doctor who recommended them told me to purchase ones that are enteric coated and molecular distilled. It definitely solved that problem.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: QF WP
Your doctor doesn’t fancy giving you a 3 monthly injection of it instead? Easier and more effective
Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cawhite
+1
My doctor who recommended them told me to purchase ones that are enteric coated and molecular distilled. It definitely solved that problem.
Yes---TJ ones are molecularly distilled.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I asked my dad's doc, who also recommended he take sublingual B-12. He said it doesn't matter - whatever your body doesn't use leave through your urine. You can't take too much.
466SHH likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 7:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Mary2e
I asked my dad's doc, who also recommended he take sublingual B-12. He said it doesn't matter - whatever your body doesn't use leave through your urine. You can't take too much.
And sometimes, it'll make your urine bright yellow, like fluorescent yellow.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not a doctor so take the following anyway you like.

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/in...26/vitamin-b12
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kipper
And sometimes, it'll make your urine bright yellow, like fluorescent yellow.
Handy when making designs in the snow.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mary2e
What Mary2e said.

Looking here at the 2 supplements I have, they have between 2,500% and 16,000% (yes, not a typo) of the recommended daily allowance of the various B's.

You end up peeing most of it out.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seems like a lot of variance. Our doc doesn't seem to think you can bring your levels up enough on pills and has the wife on a monthly shot.

Seems like the target level also varies a lot. *600+ picograms (I'm not sure if that is the right name) is what ours wants the level to be.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:54 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by annerj
Seems like a lot of variance. Our doc doesn't seem to think you can bring your levels up enough on pills and has the wife on a monthly shot.

Seems like the target level also varies a lot. *600+ picograms (I'm not sure if that is the right name) is what ours wants the level to be.
correct- cyanocobalomin (the primary form available orally) is not well absorbed
Old Jul 23, 2019, 12:02 am

While I’m not a doctor, I’d warn that even water-soluble vitamins like B12 have an upper limit and it is in your best interest not to exceed that.

Tens of thousands of % DV is eyebrow raising no matter how much is ostensibly urinated away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.