Vitamin B12

Old Jul 23, 19, 4:16 pm

Programs: Delta-Million miler
B12-You can get them in small pills that you put under the tongue. There is no over dose of B12. It is a water soluble vitamin that is readily excreted.
Fish oil-This could be a problem unless you know what it is.
The major ingredients of real alaskan fish oil are EPA (stands of eicosa pentatonic acid-eicosa is 20, pent 5, and one are double bonds) and cocoas hexaenoic acid (DHA-docosa is 22 hex 6 and ene are double bonds). These long chain polyunsaturated fast acids, in order to squeeze this many double bonds starts the first double bond at omega 3 or at the end position.
I had taken mega mega doses at one time but will not recommend at that dose.
It is good for lowering triglycerides but could cause clotting problems.
Nowdays you can get good quality EPA and DHA combination. I would take a maximum of 3 to 4 grams (total) per day, if you have high triglycerides. For other purposes, the dosage has not been determined.

Last edited by Gynob001; Jul 23, 19 at 4:16 pm Reason: Typos
Old Jul 23, 19, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Originally Posted by Gynob001 View Post
B12-You can get them in small pills that you put under the tongue. There is no over dose of B12. It is a water soluble vitamin that is readily excreted.
Fish oil-This could be a problem unless you know what it is.
The major ingredients of real alaskan fish oil are EPA (stands of eicosa pentatonic acid-eicosa is 20, pent 5, and one are double bonds) and cocoas hexaenoic acid (DHA-docosa is 22 hex 6 and ene are double bonds). These long chain polyunsaturated fast acids, in order to squeeze this many double bonds starts the first double bond at omega 3 or at the end position.
I had taken mega mega doses at one time but will not recommend at that dose.
It is good for lowering triglycerides but could cause clotting problems.
Nowdays you can get good quality EPA and DHA combination. I would take a maximum of 3 to 4 grams (total) per day, if you have high triglycerides. For other purposes, the dosage has not been determined.
I take 3-1000 mg capsules a day of fish oil. I thought that was beneficial for you.

I looked at B12 today and was a cluster. Couldn’t find one jar that said B12.

Ugh.
Old Jul 23, 19, 4:46 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
I take 3-1000 mg capsules a day of fish oil. I thought that was beneficial for you.

Ugh.
It shouldn't be tough to find in most grocery or drug stores. Nature Made sells a B12.
Old Jul 23, 19, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
If you're going to take B12, you might as well get a one-a-day mega vitamin with doses of all the water-soluble vitamins in the thousands of % of RDA.

I've been taking Mega Vita-Min from Vitamin World for years and have had great luck with it, but it appears they've stopped making it. Grrr. So I'll likely go with this one:
Amazon Amazon

As for fish oil, I've had incredible success with Costco's Kirkland Wild Alaskan Fish Oil in the 1400mg size, NOT the 1000 mg size. I've been on that, one a day, for about six months. Not a single headache of any severity in that six months. Not one.
Old Jul 24, 19, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Programs: HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
If you're going to take B12, you might as well get a one-a-day mega vitamin with doses of all the water-soluble vitamins in the thousands of % of RDA.

I've been taking Mega Vita-Min from Vitamin World for years and have had great luck with it, but it appears they've stopped making it. Grrr. So I'll likely go with this one: https://www.amazon.com/Source-Natura...000GFPCZM?th=1

As for fish oil, I've had incredible success with Costco's Kirkland Wild Alaskan Fish Oil in the 1400mg size, NOT the 1000 mg size. I've been on that, one a day, for about six months. Not a single headache of any severity in that six months. Not one.
I didn't realize fish oil was supposed to be helpful for preventing headaches.
Old Jul 24, 19, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kipper View Post
Adding certain kinds of fats into your diet may help reduce inflammation, which is thought to exacerbate migraine pain. Omega-3 fatty acids, which are most concentrated in fatty fish, and the monounsaturated fats found in olive oil have both been shown to reduce the frequency, duration, and severity of headaches.
Old Jul 24, 19, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting. I get migraines and I've never had a doctor tell me to add in fish oil.
Old Jul 24, 19, 9:45 am

Programs: QF gold-> platinum
Interesting. I get migraines and I've never had a doctor tell me to add in fish oil.
the placebo affect in migraine is phenomenally high which makes it difficult to recommend or recommend against a lot of things
Old Jul 24, 19, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://www.botoxchronicmigraine.com/
Old Jul 24, 19, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sonofzeus View Post
I don't get enough of them to consider that.
Old Jul 24, 19, 12:24 pm

absolutely agree. I would be surprised if it cures headache, although it might interfere with the synthesis of PGE2, the pain causing prostaglandin. I would have thought that it is bad for headache as it would dilatate the blood vessels.
Old Jul 24, 19, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gynob001 View Post

absolutely agree. I would be surprised if it cures headache, although it might interfere with the synthesis of PGE2, the pain causing prostaglandin. I would have thought that it is bad for headache as it would dilatate the blood vessels.
...which would lower blood pressure, yes?

My headaches have always been tension or dehydration headaches, not migraines. Sorry if this made kipper think there was a new magic bullet for migraines.
Old Jul 25, 19, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
...which would lower blood pressure, yes?

My headaches have always been tension or dehydration headaches, not migraines. Sorry if this made kipper think there was a new magic bullet for migraines.
Yes, might lower BP but dilatation of the cerebral arteries usually gives headache.
Old Jul 25, 19, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Club Carlson Gold

Ugh.
Solaray makes a sublingual that you can buy at Whole Foods or Sprouts. They even make a sugar free version that I have taken for years.
Old Jul 26, 19, 10:42 pm

My doc recommended I start taking B12. Does anyone know the normal daily recommended dosage? I did some googling but wasn't familiar with the units that were recommended. For example, my fish oil are 1000 mg capsules. I didn't see that unit when looking at B12.

any help would be appreciated before I knock back 10 of 'em.
How much you should take depends on why you are taking it, how low your current level is and what range your doctor wants your level to be in.

Is it to treat a specific medical condition, like an anemia, such as pernicious or hemolytic anemia? For celiac, for nerve pain, or??? Do you have some form of malabsorption? All these are questions you should get answers to in order to determine your personal correct dose and you and the doctor should have that discussion - medical advice from the internet is worth what you pay for it. ;-)

As to IM (injections), sublingual or oral: do what works for you. It's nonsense that you can't reach or obtain an adequate serum B12 level on an oral dose. It may take a little longer, but it is definitely possible. I have been on a therapeutic dose of B12 for me (far higher than the average dose) for 15 years. I decided early on that it was preferable to a take pill at home every morning than make a weekly trip to the doctor's office, spend 40 minutes getting a shot and then trying to persuade insurance to pay for it. These days I get my blood level checked about twice a year, and it's been stable for more than a dozen years. YMMV, and good luck to you.

Oh, and FWIW I find the Nature Made brand tablet works best for me. If you do go the sublingual route, you might need to try a few different brands before deciding one. Some of them tasty nasty.