Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness
Reload this Page >

Exercise day today--Fitness Walking in Airports

Exercise day today--Fitness Walking in Airports

Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by joeyE
A) Which other forum should you post such a broad, all airline encompassing topic?
FlyerTalk maintains an OMNI forum: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni-366/
Old Apr 29, 2019, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
Originally Posted by indufan
Other than the original ATL airport thing, what does this have to do with Delta?
Nothing really (except I was on a DL flight when I posted).

Feel free to move it anywhere...
Old Apr 29, 2019, 9:52 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
A) Which other forum should you post such a broad, all airline encompassing topic?
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
FlyerTalk maintains an OMNI forum: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni-366/
I might also suggest Travel Buzz as still being about travel while not being airline-specific and also not having the account age and post requirements of OMNI (which IMO is more for non-travel-related stuff)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/
obscure2k likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 10:39 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

B) CLT as another poster alluded to...specifically from the tip of E to the tip of new A.
I believe TravelBuzz is a good fit for this topic. Please follow there as I re-name the thread to Fitness Walking in Airports
Thanks...
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
indufan likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 1:21 pm

Walking

Changi (Singapore) airport is indeed a good leg streatch, if you do ignore the conveyor walk ways.

It's sometimes easier to walk and ignore using the walk ways as everyone crowds onto them and space is freed up to walk down the concourses.

Don't suppose anyone has had an unofficial walking v walking conveyor race with a stranger. I was walking and a stranger walking on a conveyor exchanged that look, and the race was on. Happily I suceeded in beating him whilst he attempted to walk fast down the conveyor. It was a good work out. Que the Ministry of Funny walks

Last edited by Giantlonglegs; Apr 29, 2019 at 3:13 pm Reason: Typo
Old Apr 29, 2019, 3:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
You could accomplish this at most reasonably large hub airports that have the gates (or most of them anyway) in the same security area. The biggest question is whether the layout where you'd walk often gets blocked by gaggles of slower walkers, cross-traffic, or just clumps of people waiting to board a flight. DFW is one of these: there are parts of it where you can power-walk but other parts where you'd constantly be dodging people. Same with DEN: the United terminal is long, but there are often clumps of people blocking the areas that aren't taken up by the moving walkways.

PHX has ample space going from terminal to terminal to power-walk indefinitely without running into other people. Everyone else in the tunnels between the terminals will be on moving walkways, so it should be pretty much just you walking. You'd be able to do this as long as you wanted on one level...no escalators or stairs to slow you down.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 9:34 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Moving to Travel Health and Fitness forum. /JY1024, TravelBuzz moderator
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
Between terminals at LHR
Yes, I was about to suggest this. I once ran what seemed like over 2 km at LHR, with significant carry-on luggage, to make a connection at Heathrow. I made it about a minute before they closed the gate. I was a sweaty mess upon arrival.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 3:51 pm

Another vote for MSP. They even have maps with estimated walking times on them
Old May 2, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
You can get a good long walk in most hub airports.
ATL, ORD, DFW, MSP, LHR, FRA - as described already
IAH - end of B to end of D is a good long walk
SFO - good long walk through all the wings of T3 and into the Intl terminal
LAX - the walk from TBIT to T7 is long and tunnely
DEN - It's just really really long, especially in B concourse; even longer if you go upstairs in the food court, do a lap, and back down.
MUC - you can get a nice walk in here, also
AMS - I believe every terminal is connected airside, so that's a lot of walking

As a sidenote, I've heard of people running the landside tunnels at LHR for a workout. I've also run the bike lanes that circle AMS - great workout. Easily done from the terminal or from an airport hotel.
Even smaller airports with tunnels connecting terminals (like CVG) have plenty of distance to walk. Starting at one end of A, walking underground and then to the end of B and back is a good distance.
Old May 2, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
SFO - good long walk through all the wings of T3 and into the Intl terminal
Good suggestion. I did the full route with my daughter once before a very long flight. Walking the whole length of T3-E, the long corridor in T3-F, the short T3-F pier, the long T3-F pier, over to International-G to the end (note there's an outside view deck at the end now), and back to T3-E is probably about a mile, and all of it is in the same airside zone.
Old May 5, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: AA EXP
Most of my layovers are at DFW and PHX, I prefer to walk when I have time, even between terminals. Friday I had a 2.5 hour layover extended to 4 hours by a delay. I walked from my incoming gate, A8 (end of the line) to mid terminal C, stayed off the moving walkways. Had a bite to eat & a couple beers, let it settle, and walked back to A8, again no moving walkways. Then I rode the tram all the way around, got back off at the beginning of A, couple more beers nearby, and back to A8 to catch my delayed flight home. I wonder what the record is for longest distance traveled at the airport despite arriving and departing at the same gate
Old May 8, 2019, 7:30 am

Don't you all get sweaty when doing this? I'm very fit, which ironically I learned means I sweat more, so I've tried this a few times and just found I feel gross by the end.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.