Wiki Posts
Search

Best choice for a pregnant

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2018, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Best choice for a pregnant

Hi all.

It's my first participation in the forum, but I'm a regular reader.

First of all, excuse my mistakes with my English.

I will take a long trip with my wife (12 hours nonstop) and she is pregnant. She will be 5 months pregnant on the travel date.

As you may know, some pregnant women suffer from circulatory problems, and my wife is one of them.

I wonder if the difference in cabin pressurisation in "new" aircraft (359 and 787) is a real change or she will not feel any real benefit.

I must decide between traveling on one of these aircraft in economy or on a 340/767 aircraft in business.

What do you think is better?

Thanks in advance.-

Last edited by Antes Conocido Como Django; Nov 15, 2018 at 7:10 pm
Old Nov 18, 2018, 1:39 am

Let me try to give you a "professional" answer in lay terms. First of all, the "circulatory problems" (a very general term) cover a variety of conditions and only your wife's doctor (GP and Gyn) will be able to give her a valid answer as to the potential risks of air travel. Moreover, the "novel" pressurization of the newest planes should not, as such, not affect anything but her oxygen uptake. Actually, the newer planes travel at a virtual altitude (cabin air pressure) of about 1700 m ± a few. Again, only the doctors will be in condition to decide whether this would create any problems for her and the baby. Generally speaking, business class is much, much better to travel in than coach, and this is valid for everyone and especially pregnant women. Therefore, I'd say that your wife visits her doctors and, in case they don't object to a 12 hours long journey and you can afford it, just have her fly in business.

PS My firm belief is that all medical questions should be referred to the attending physicians rather than unnamed "experts" (e.g. me!) randmly picked through the internet. I don't mean that the attending physicians may not be wrong, but at least they have seen the person the advice is for and they know more about him/her.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 4:55 am
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your response.

She already visited her doctor and there are no major contraindications to travel.
In this case, more than a question about medical issues, it is about the potential improvement in the comfort of traveling in a cabin with different pressurization. From what I understand of your answer, there are no sensible benefits (at least in this aspect), and the best would be to travel in business.
Fortunately we can afford the cost, but we are in Uruguay, the place in the world where air tickets have the price of luxury goods ... not just business. That's why we do not usually travel in that cabin.

Thanks again.-

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.