Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best mosquito repellent?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2017, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Question Best mosquito repellent?

I tend to not use any and then end up using an after bite cream but it's not going so well since whenever I get bitten I get some kind of allergic reaction and red spots everywhere.
Would rather avoid this situation entirely.
What's the best mosquito bite repellent?
Old Jul 8, 2017, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by AlexanderRae
I tend to not use any and then end up using an after bite cream but it's not going so well since whenever I get bitten I get some kind of allergic reaction and red spots everywhere.
Would rather avoid this situation entirely.
What's the best mosquito bite repellent?
Well when I lived in Vermont the one that was most effective was the stuff that made you smell like a telephone pole

Sawyer's Jungle Juice was a good back up.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 8:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I like the Off! Deep Woods products. The foil wrapped towelettes are convenient for travel, while the small bottle of Maximum DDT concentration spray liquid performed well last summer in Rio (although I like to take a shower after coming inside for the night when I use something so strong).
Old Jul 8, 2017, 8:41 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
This is the best I have ever found.
https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Produc...KQP0DVFTHPR0J4
Old Jul 9, 2017, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
As much as one wishes for a low/non-toxic alternative and as much as various people try to make you believe that there are natural non-toxic alternatives, high-strength DEET (by brand, Muskol, J&J's Off!) is the only proven repellent that lasts for any length of time.

Scientists who study mosquito know it works but no one is exactly sure how it works.

Below is an interesting article about how mosquitos find a host (multiple ways, at least heat, CO2, scent, shape).

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...ellent/423672/
Old Jul 9, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I've always found Off to be very effective.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 1:40 pm

I like Picaridin based products because it won't melt some plastics like high concentration DEET and works fairly well for me. I'm a mosquito magnet and Picaridin has worked well in a number of warm and humid climates. I like Natrapel which comes in spray and wipe format.
welltended and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 1:59 pm

In the military we used to mix SkinSoSoft with 1/2 rubbing alcohol. Worked pretty well.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 8:31 pm

ODOMOS cream! 100% the best i have used, But as far as i know it is sold only in the Caribbean
Old Jan 14, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Jungle Formula for those in the UK and probably elsewhere. Took it to South America and had no problems.
Old May 2, 2018, 4:59 am

Programs: British, United,SW, Delta,Iberia,KLM, Qatar, IHG, Hilton, Marriott, Starwood, Radisson, Wyndham,
Originally Posted by freecia
I like Picaridin based products because it won't melt some plastics like high concentration DEET and works fairly well for me. I'm a mosquito magnet and Picaridin has worked well in a number of warm and humid climates. I like Natrapel which comes in spray and wipe format.
I agree and also prefer picaridin over DEET. I would also recommend Sawyer Picaridin Insect Repellent as it has always worked well for me.

For a DEET version I would suggest Ben’s 30% DEET. Their wipes version makes it pretty easy to carry.

I would also recommend treating your clothes - I find that Sawyer Permethrin Clothing Insect Repellent works the best and doesn’t leave any obnoxious smell.

nancypants and GUWonder like this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 11:30 pm

+1 for the Sawyer repellent. Mosquitoes seem to love me, even indoors. This stuff keeps them away.
Old May 10, 2019, 12:20 am

Sawyer repellent. This thing totally works.
Old May 20, 2019, 11:24 am

Is there a repellent and sun screen combination ?

Water resistant would be nice.
Mosquitoes love me , but I sweat a lot and the repellent does not last a long time.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 7:18 am

I use OFF! mosquito repellent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.