Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness
Reload this Page >

is it normal to have blood in semen after a long 15-hour nonstop flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2015, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Are you certain is it actually blood? There are some dietary changes and medications that can cause a reddish brown color in semen and urine. Even an excess of alcohol or caffeine beyond what you are used to can cause color changes. The only way to know for sure that it is blood would be a test while it is happening. Like others here, I suggest you take advice from your doctor, not strangers on an internet message board.
Both of my doctors(internal medicine and urology) confirmed that it was blood. I submitted samples which they sent to labs. (along with urine sample to check for other things like infections... which always came back negative)
Old Nov 18, 2015, 10:46 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Please keep this thread free of double entendre and sexually oriented "jokes"; a member has asked a question, and stated why he posted in a forum populated by travellers.

To paraphrase the FlyerTalk Rules, if you read this and have nothing useful to contribute, please move on without posting.

JDiver
Senior Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 20, 2015 at 4:53 pm
Old Nov 19, 2015, 10:15 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Yeah--if you can spontaneously bleed from one place why only one place???
It happens. Not all blood vessels are equal. And blood and plasma changes due to changes in environmental exposure can impact how the circulatory system and tissues/organs function.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 9:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Since it seems to occur only after sitting for long periods, I'd wonder about low level prostatitis or epididymitis that might be causing it. Do you notice it after long bike rides, for example? Have your doctors tried antibiotic treatment for prostatitis?
Old Nov 24, 2015, 5:59 am

Programs: BAE Gold, Qatar Premium, CX Gold, Emirates, Hilton Honors, Golden Circle
No it's not and yes you are being paranoid, if two doctors have said it's OK then guess what it's probably OK a little blood in the semen is not unusual only you know what you have been up to. When it happened to me apparently I had just been a little too vigorous and too often.
Oh happy days if I could just go back forty years.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 6:08 am

blood in semen

What were circumstances under which you notice blood in your semen? Did you share with your doctors. Perhaps the environment had something to do with it. During all my long haul flights I never noticed my semen. Maybe I am just not as lucky as you
Old Nov 24, 2015, 7:08 am

Programs: Air China Companion, Delta Skymiles, British Airways Exec Club, Aeroplan, AAAdvantage
If your blood is clotting somewhere else (say the legs) then it may be depleting platelets and clotting factors that could increase the chance of bleeding elsewhere... so I suppose that that could be a contributory factor, but I don't think it can be the whole story.
(dvt is often silent and the clots could dissolve on their own in the days or weeks after the flight). In this scenario the DVT would probably be the greater risk as it might take quite a lot to cause a noticeable amount of bleeding elsewhere.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 7:28 am

Programs: HH Gold
Smile Welcome to Fantasy Island?

I had something like this happen on a trip to the Caribbean some years ago.
A long flight with delays from New York to St. Lucia in the Lesser Antilles and a grueling hour and a half un-airconditioned van ride ended at the resort. 12 hours after leaving our house we were greeted outside at the entrance "Fantasy Island" style and presented with a very-large very-strong tropical alcoholic beverage. A few days later I started peeing blood. It was a urinary tract infection and a bit painful and of course scary to get sick on a rather rural small foreign island. Urinary Tract Infections? Never had one before and never again since. They gave me some antibiotics and it was over a week later once we got home.

Never knew what happened and the doctors had no clue despite all the testing after the fact. Was just thinking about it a few years later and it just came to me when I thought it through it was really rather obvious. It should also be to you after reading the above.

So not sure if you drink alcohol before, during, or after the flight. If so try not doing it. As well, you should stay very well hydrated and drink a lot of water during the trip and after. Coffee and tea with caffeine can be dehydrating as well and avoided. Maybe some Gatorade or other drink with electrolytes would help..

Try that next time as an experiment and let us know how you do
Old Nov 24, 2015, 7:45 am

Programs: UA*S A3*G TK *G EY G AA G RJ Gold IHG Spire Amb HH DIamond Marriott Gold BW DIAMOND SELECT
Medical advice

As a physician, I can tell you this is totally normal. Blood in the urine is a totally different matter. That CAN be a cause for concern, though usually is benign
Old Nov 24, 2015, 7:48 am

Programs: Delta; BA; Marriott; Hilton; Best Western; Emirates
My friend - I had similar symptoms two years ago. Like an idiot I looked at the internet and concluded I could have cancer of practically any organ between the knees and the navel. After I spoke to my General Practitioner he referred me to a Consultant Neurologist here in the UK for more diagnostic tests. Long story short - no medical issues. I got strong advice from all the medical professionals that it is a not uncommon condition, perhaps caused by "mechanical damage" resulting from, shall we say, over-vigorous manual stimulation by an intimate partner - or possibly self-administered. Also by the way they said the nature of the delicate plumbing down there can mean it will take a number of weeks, possibly a month or so, for healing to complete and the visible symptoms to disappear entirely. So I am now symptom free and a wiser man!
Old Nov 24, 2015, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by BelgianWaffle
Yeah, it's totally normal !! You're an idiot twice: thinking that this can be related and, most of all, then deciding to bring this up for discussion on the flyertalk.com.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 8:29 am

Programs: UA, AA, Delta, Marriott
Usually after a long flight, I do not check my semen for blood. Perhaps this thread may have me changing my ways. In order to be sure that the flight caused any problems, one would have to check pretty fast. What with the time it takes to deplane, walk to baggage, wait for baggage, find a taxi at slow rush hour traffic, once I am home I have forgotten all about it. I'll be more careful now. I still wouldn't be comfortable checking it on the plane or even at the airport.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 8:58 am
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
Maybe it was bleeding gums. In any case, Mr. Waffle seems like a handy sort. I'm sure he'll figure it out.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 9:20 am

Ken B

I'm not a doctor and this is not advice. Just my own experience.
a. Flight Japan to Dallas, economy class.
b. A day or two later, hemataspermia noticed.
c. A few days later, routine annual physical test (time of which entirely unrelated to above) shows elevated PSA (prostate specific antigen).
d. A few days later, urologist reckons b was related to a; sends me home.
e. 4 weeks later, hematuria noticed.
f. Urologist orders another PSA test. PSA is high. Biopsy indicates low-grade prostate cancer.
g. Two weeks later, another pathologist takes a look at biopsy specimens. Says it's high-grade PC (Gleason 9). MRI confirms size and position of cancer.
h. 4 weeks later, begin eight week daily radiation treatment at Johns Hopkins, followed by 2 year androgen deprivation therapy. (ADT).
i. Five years later (i.e. today) cancer gone or still in remission, I'm glad to say.
Again,I'm not a doctor and this is not advice, but I do note that a PSA test is non-invasive and very inexpensive, and could set one's mind at rest.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 9:35 am

Programs: BA Blue
Originally Posted by xela
Yeah, it's totally normal !! You're an idiot twice: thinking that this can be related and, most of all, then deciding to bring this up for discussion on the flyertalk.com.
Charming. There speaks someone who has posted 7 times in 8 years

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.