Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Medical Traveller to Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2015, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Medical Traveller to Thailand

I am considering going to the Thailand for tummy tuck. I have spoken with one doctor and emailed another for information; the prices do seem much cheaper than in the US, but how can I make sure the surgeon is reputable? PlacidWay helps me to set an appointment to Yanhee Hospital. Any helpful hints, suggestions, advice? Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 12:43 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Ex. PLT, Delta Diamond
AVOID like the plague. When it comes to your body do not take chances. If you are located in the U.S. look at the T.V. show named Botched. While there could be reputable doctors in Thailand I would recommend that you do not skimp on cost. Take care and you probably don't need one.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Any surgery can have complications including death.

You could end up with a nasty infection at the surgical site requiring months of antibiotics, more and more surgeries, ugly skin grafts, or even just die from a bad reaction to the anesthetic or a heart rhythm problem.

Avoid unnecessary surgery anywhere. If you have to have surgery, have it in a first world hospital, not some outpatient "surgery center," so there is backup if something bad happens.

In the US, at least you'll be near good hospitals and good doctors who will try to save you if something bad happens. In a third world country with doctors of unknown levels of training who are in the business just to make money, who knows what might happen.

Don't skimp when your life may hang in the balance.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:38 pm

Programs: I travel for fun these days.
There are some decent facilities here, but never go with lowest bidder!

I've had some general medical check-ups preformed here at one of the major reputable hospitals and was impressed overall at the level of service. That said, if something serious ever comes up, I would be on a plane back to NA in a heartbeat.

There's just no accountability here if things go wrong and in this culture of unquestioning respect to your superiors, no one will ever correct a doctor if they're doing something wrong. As a paying customer I'm not supposed to question the process by asking question on a equal footing; do you really think a nurse here would ever remind a doctor to re-wash if they touched the light during surgery? Wouldn't happen. Those conversations just never happen here. You should see the look of utter distain and astonishment on a doctor's face when you arrive in the delivery room with a birthing plan to discuss how you want your child delivered. (No, you cannot push on my wife's stomach to help the baby head-out...)

Also, I personally would not be looking at cost as the determining factor! Your body is worth more than whatever the lowest bidder willingly accepts to cut it open... and there are A LOT of willing bidders in an industry full of corrupt regulation.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...iland-say.html
Old Nov 6, 2015, 12:01 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond. National Biz Exec. AMX Plat. CSR. Bonvoy Brilliant. Delta Reserve.
Originally Posted by cindimorgan
I am considering going to the Thailand for tummy tuck. I have spoken with one doctor and emailed another for information; the prices do seem much cheaper than in the US, but how can I make sure the surgeon is reputable? PlacidWay helps me to set an appointment to Yanhee Hospital. Any helpful hints, suggestions, advice? Thanks in advance.
Don't do it! Save up some more money and do it in the US with a reputable Doctor. Way too many risks going to Thailand.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 1:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I'd probably pick the US over other countries, but some other countries are better known for cosmetic surgery than others. If I were the OP I'd opt for Brazil over Thailand.

"Brazil has just surpassed the U.S. as the place with the most cosmetic surgeries performed in the world"

Heck, "Brazil has "a number of government-based tax-deduction systems in place to support elective plastic surgery. Earlier this year, the government made cosmetic surgeries deductible from income tax, and the discounts are backdated for surgeries as early as 2004. The government believes cosmetic surgery is in such high demand that the additional income to those in the industry will outweigh the money lost to deductions."

Cheers.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 10:18 pm

Programs: I travel for fun these days.
Here's the advice of a Thai lady:

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/model-reveals-nightmare-result-of-her-breast-enlargement-surgery-by-uncertified-doctor
Old Nov 11, 2015, 10:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/doc...-beauty-clinic

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pol...-beauty-clinic
Old Dec 20, 2015, 1:16 am

I had bariatric surgery in Mexico several years ago, and it was a great experience for me. But, I am a doctor (I was in Medical school at the time), speak fluent Spanish and have connections to the medical community there. So, I felt I was able to reliably evaluate the surgeon's reputation and experience, so I knew I was getting someone who would do good work. I was also capable of (basically) providing my own postoperative care and thus wasn't worried about the lack of follow up post-op.

I have no idea how you can evaluate the skills of your prospective surgeon in Thailand. What if things don't go as planned--will you or your family feel comfortable being cared for in that health care system? Medical tourism can be great--but it has its risks. Be prepared for and accept the risks before going for a procedure there.

If I were going for a plastic surgery, I would go to Brazil or Mexico. Brazil obviously has some extremely skilled surgeons--it is kind of the world capital for that. Mexico has a lot of skilled surgeons, and I'd strongly consider them because I can make phone calls to people I know and get an idea of a surgeon's reputation from reliable sources. If I were going for gender reassignment surgery, I'd go to Thailand in a heartbeat--they are the worldwide leaders in that.

But remember the number one rule in medical tourism: CAVEAT EMPTOR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.