FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Health and Fitness (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-health-fitness-679/)
-   -   smartest way to travel with protein powder? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-health-fitness/1642320-smartest-way-travel-protein-powder.html)

nlkm9 Jan 3, 2015 6:45 am

smartest way to travel with protein powder?

anything out there better than ziploc bags? Im usually on the road for 2-4 days.
thanks!

planemechanic Jan 3, 2015 5:58 pm

I was wondering the same thing, and I was thinking of using a wide mouthed water bottle type arrangement. My bigger concern was proper labeling, as carrying around a half kilo of unknown powder is probably very interesting to the TSA.

Doc Savage Jan 3, 2015 6:02 pm

I'd suggest a small, plastic wide mouth bottle, either Nalgene or an old Metamucil bottle. The Metamucil bottle might be best in that the powder inside would be boring and of no interest at all to TSA.

http://www.metamucil.com.au/images/h...flash-left.png

JDiver Jan 4, 2015 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage (Post 24096090)
I'd suggest a small, plastic wide mouth bottle, either Nalgene or an old Metamucil bottle. The Metamucil bottle might be best in that the powder inside would be boring and of no interest at all to TSA.

http://www.metamucil.com.au/images/h...flash-left.png

Bonzer idea! Never thought of a Metamucil container. Thanks!

Doc Savage Jan 4, 2015 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 24102313)

It's what all the regular guys use.;)

SkiAdcock Jan 6, 2015 10:05 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 24102313)

Me either. Good idea!

Cheers.

nlkm9 Jan 11, 2015 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage (Post 24102472)
It's what all the regular guys use.;)

LOL! just caught this! ha!

Brucemcdou Feb 12, 2015 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by nlkm9 (Post 24093157)
anything out there better than ziploc bags? Im usually on the road for 2-4 days.
thanks!

I buy protein bars for travel - I buy whichever is lowest in carbs for the total protein - Quest is my current go-to bar. I also avoid those that melt and get messy, which are also usually higher in carbs anyway. Can keep one with you on a plane, use for breakfast in your room if you go to the hotel gym early, etc.

If you insist on powder how about buying it in packets? I use Labrada Lean Body Protein packets at the office - allows me to carry it around with no chance of spillage. There's a number of brands that come in packets - it usually costs more per gram but would be convenient and solve the TSA problem. Again I look for the lowest in carbs, but I'm not bulking (not now...):D

Yuengling Feb 24, 2015 1:30 pm

CVS sells small canisters of whey. I refill one of those from the 2.5 lb tubs from GNC or wherever. For shorter trips, I use the ziploc baggies and if anyone asks (no one ever has) I plant o tell them it's powdered milk. Which is basically true.

N1120A May 21, 2015 5:59 pm

About 15% of the time, TSA seems to want to swab my Betagen and BCAA powder, but my little Blender Bottle containers with individual servings of protein go unmolested.

Emilyrosemary Jul 28, 2015 6:41 am

4 ounce plastic containers

I make individual servings of protein powder and dynamic greens for each day I'm on the road using 4oz plastic stackable containers from a grocery store. I've been doing this for 5+ years and have never had an issue with TSA, plus I can still buy the 5 lb containers of protein and have it saves time in the mornings during the week! Here is a link to one option - I have a Rubbermaid type that stacks and clicks together so I don't lose them in my suitcase

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012DMSTK..._QG3TvbQQ94K4B

James Silva Jun 25, 2019 7:05 am

Cheers! Thanks for idea.

inhealed Nov 3, 2019 2:10 am

unopened is the best

There are single packed unopened packages, they might work better, just more waste :(

redblaze Apr 25, 2023 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by Brucemcdou (Post 24341895)
I buy protein bars for travel - I buy whichever is lowest in carbs for the total protein - Quest is my current go-to bar. I also avoid those that melt and get messy, which are also usually higher in carbs anyway. Can keep one with you on a plane, use for breakfast in your room if you go to the hotel gym early, etc.

If you insist on powder how about buying it in packets? I use Labrada Lean Body Protein packets at the office - allows me to carry it around with no chance of spillage. There's a number of brands that come in packets - it usually costs more per gram but would be convenient and solve the TSA problem. Again I look for the lowest in carbs, but I'm not bulking (not now...):D

I agree. Even though I absolutely prefer protein powder, I think getting protein bars during travel is just easier and more convenient. Last time when I visited another city for a week, I just went to Safeway on the first day and bought some protein bars. Just look for the ones with high quality protein.

UAP_777 Feb 9, 2024 11:49 pm

This brand on Amazon called "Raw Grass Fed Whey" is high quality and comes in a bag. I can't post a URL because I'm new but it's a brown bag with a cow logo on it. You could just put this inside a freezer bag for added protection and throw it in your checked luggage without having to worry about bringing a large plastic container but still have conspicuous sealed factory packaging. It differs from country to country but you're usually allowed to bring dried unopened food internationally. I have Celiac Disease and so often pack gluten-free food in checked bags if I'm not sure I'll be able to find it where I'm traveling. So I think you'd be fine with this. Possibly in a carry-on too, but if you're brining more than 12 oz. it has to be placed in a bin for additional screening. This company also sells a 12 oz size though. Maybe for that exact reason.