Wiki Posts
Search

Still opting for mask but started before pandemic

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2023, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Hilton
Still opting for mask but started before pandemic

Curious to others thoughts but after catching NOROvirus on a flight 6 years ago, I swore to, going forward, wipe down every surface on my seat with healthcare wipes,

But I also began wearing a mask on flights several years ago because just wearing it helped keep the nasal mucous membranes from drying out. In theory, this helps make air breathed in feel less dry and may help keep us from catching the cold that we typically got after travel.

Still plan to wear a mask just to breath moister air and also eye drops to moisturize eyes.

Anyone else wearing a mask for just generally better feeling flying?
Old Jan 25, 2023, 6:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I'm still wearing a mask when I fly. I didn't on one trip and ended up with COVID, so I'm not taking a chance.
Zeeb, N1120A, hugolover and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 25, 2023, 10:26 pm

Look at Japanese - they always wear facemasks way earlier than Covid. And I believe wearing facemasks is very helpful when you are in a crowded environment, i.e. inside airplane.
DoB840 and hugolover like this.
Old Aug 3, 2023, 2:08 pm

I still carry masks with me and I'll use them on very crowded trains or planes. I don't wear one at the airport or for day to day shopping, etc, but I will for the actual flight/ride. There's usually a couple of other mask-wearing, hand sanitizer using people around me too so I think people have become slightly more health-conscious.
hugolover likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 11:24 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, DL Silver Medallion
Like the OP, I also started wiping my immediate airplane seat area down with a Clorox wipe prior to COVID. My husband insisted I do this when I wanted to fly more often with our (then young) kids. When I realized that I stopped catching a cold after every few flights, I decided the minimal effort and cost was well worth it. During COVID, the rest of the world just caught up to this smart idea, and I definitely feel less paranoid when I do it now than I did pre-2019.

After all, it isn't as though airline budgets will ever allow for more cleaning than less, and there's often visible food spillage on the tray table when I open it up to wipe it down. Ick. If I can see the coffee spill, there's likely some dried saliva there as well. I wipe the toilet door handle every time I use the plane's WC, too. There's really no down side to that, for me or anyone else aboard the flight.

In addition, I now wear a mask during the boarding process of every flight, and I don't think I'll ever drop that easy precaution either. I typically put on a mask in an elevator or toilet stall as well, or any other place that seems like a closed box. Again, this is super easy, causes me no pain or struggle, and costs very little. Why not avoid those germs?

the phoenix You might also look into a saline nasal gel. The brand I use is Ayr, and the tube is tiny, like a lip balm size, so carry on compliant. It moisturizes the mucus membranes, and I apply it before and after every flight now. I get fewer nosebleeds in winter now that I'm using it, and it seems unlikely to hurt in the quest to avoid respiratory viruses either.
the phoenix likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2023, 6:43 am

Programs: united, american, alaska
I wear a mask on airplanes primarily because I am sensitive to many fragrances and it helps a lot with that.
SPN Lifer and willoL like this.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 10:57 pm

It really depends on the airlines, mostly some used mask because they got used to it or they might have some health issues. But as far as I know wearing mask is an optional now.
Old Dec 24, 2023, 1:27 pm

Programs: Delta PM, AA PlatPro
No, no, and no.

Never work a mast during the pandemic.

[mod deleted remainder of post as off topic and for rules violations]

Last edited by l etoile; Dec 24, 2023 at 2:16 pm
Old Jan 1, 2024, 2:55 pm

I know a lot of people that caught COVID after flying on an airplane so I'll still mask.

I always seem to get stuck behind a person coughing the entire flight.
Zeeb likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 7:52 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I have been battling a sinus infection for nearly 2 weeks and am negative for Covid. One of the lingering symptoms is a cough . I am now wearing a mask when I go in to the elevator in my apartment. I don't want another resident to become nervous if I start coughing. Same would apply If I were using public transportation,.
TWA884 and Igene like this.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 10:00 am

I still wear mask, not as cautious during covid era though
Old Mar 6, 2024, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
I still wear a mask in airports and on planes. And like others here, I wipe down seat, seatbelt, and tray table with an antibacterial wipe. Small things, but they have made a difference. I used to get flu and/or bronchitis pretty regularly when I traveled. Since I started masking and wiping, it has not happened (knock wood).
Old Mar 6, 2024, 9:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Masking in crowds and especially at airports and on planes. There seem to be a LOT of people out there coughing right now - and no, I'm not being paranoid. All ages, wet coughs, dry coughs, racking coughs, spraying coughs. I don't know if they 'have' anything contagious and I think many of them don't know. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Perhaps I'm just having a mid-life crisis. I don't have time to waste on BS nonsense like getting colds or flu or COVID or bronchitis or pneumonia. I have much better things to do with my time.

For me, masking is now no different than using a seat belt or bike helmet.
ysolde, SPN Lifer and Zeeb like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.