Travelling with controlled drugs and diversion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travelling with controlled drugs and diversion

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2023, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Does anybody know how to deal with a flight diversion to another country if travelling with controlled drugs (on medical prescription)? These typically require special documentation, but documentation for one country might not meet the standards of another country (e.g. Netherlands/UK or Greece/Turkey), so the case might arise that the traveller ends up at the border of a country (that he never intended or expected to enter) with the wrong documentation and is in need of the medication.

... and specifically cannot travel on a plane (or by other means) without that medication
daenous likes this.

Last edited by l etoile; Mar 24, 2024 at 5:20 am
Old Dec 5, 2023, 3:43 pm

I suffer from epilepsy, and I advise make sure you have your doctor's note with you at all times during travel. You can also search online if the medication you into your intended land's Home Office/Travel/Health websites if they are allowed. Some may ask you to make a prior declaration through an online portal or you can check with a local embassy for an official ruling. If you do land unexpectedly in a different country, then I would suggest you declare what you have immediately at customs explain your predicament and show the doctor's note.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

A doctor's note is usually insufficient if travelling with opium tincture, that tends to need some heavier paperwork, countersigned by local authorities. One can prepare for the country one wants to fly to, but what if one ends up in another one?
Old Dec 5, 2023, 5:08 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Typically when travelling with medications (controlled) there will be a travellers exemption in place for the importation of those substances. Typically but not unilaterally, you are only allowed to import up to 3 months supply. For greater than 3 months you are advised to seek local medical services for a prescription.

The following would be good guidance
1. Carry a prescription to confirm that the medicines you are carrying have been prescribed to you OR provide a letter from your doctor that states you are under their treatment and that the medication(s) have been prescribed for your personal use. Your doctor's letter must specify the name of the medicine and dosage.
2. Always keep the medication its original packaging with the dispensing label intact. (i.e. do not throw away the box, if the information is on the box, and do not empty into a zip lock bag or a couple of tablets, or mix in one pot or use those daily helper guides)
3. Declare all medication if in doubt.

The above and with the 3 months is general guidance based on my country (AU), many countries will differ. As noted above and specifically relates to specific controlled substances.

Some additional helpful advice
- Carry all medication in hand luggage - do not be that person who luggage is lost and then only has 1-2 days of medication !
- Medications have different names or alternative generics in different countries, it helps to have details of the formulation and dosage if it is unusual
- Note any known adverse events to medications or compounds - in case you need something refilled.

KF
Old Dec 5, 2023, 8:35 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
There’s essentially nothing you can do about a diversion that’s out of your control, other than to hope the country will be reasonable about it. Hopefully it’s not the UAE or Japan.

Bringing a doctors note and the medications in their original packaging is about the best you can do, short of just leaving them at home.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 1:05 am

You can probably ask the crew/captain for help and advice when this occurs. I'd expect they'd understand and work with you to find solutions in such a situation.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by flybymonkey
I suffer from epilepsy, and I advise make sure you have your doctor's note with you at all times during travel. You can also search online if the medication you into your intended land's Home Office/Travel/Health websites if they are allowed. Some may ask you to make a prior declaration through an online portal or you can check with a local embassy for an official ruling. If you do land unexpectedly in a different country, then I would suggest you declare what you have immediately at customs explain your predicament and show the doctor's note.
I take epilepsy medication too and it certainly never occurred to me to carry a doctor’s note! I’ve never had to make any declaration anywhere.
flybymonkey likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
A doctor's note is usually insufficient if travelling with opium tincture, that tends to need some heavier paperwork, countersigned by local authorities. One can prepare for the country one wants to fly to, but what if one ends up in another one?
I have just been reviewing the UAE controlled drug list. Interestingly “Opium” is classified as NARCOTIC SCHEDULE – I. Which means “Quantity for the period of stay or a maximum one month use whichever is less. Medical prescription and attested medical report is required”

Considering the UAE are red hot with drugs/meds than most countries, providing you declare it at customs or before travel with your medical note, prescription, packaging etc you should be fine.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 10:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
The risk of diversion is TINY. A mere handful of flights are diverted everyday. Given that Israel just let an El Al flight divert and Russia took in a bunch of Americans on Air India, I think there is a tolerance for unforeseen circumstances. Moreover, predicting what country you might be diverted to, and for how long, is impossible. A gas and go in Gander is far different from the situation that unfolded in Russia for example...
Old Dec 6, 2023, 11:13 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
To the OP: What has prompted this concern? Sure. A flight diversion to another country could always happen. How likely is it to occur, though?

Originally Posted by Barrheadlass
I take epilepsy medication too and it certainly never occurred to me to carry a doctor’s note! I’ve never had to make any declaration anywhere.
"Epilepsy medication" encompasses a range of drugs, most of which are not controlled substances, most of which have no potential for abuse, and most of which would not raise any eyebrows.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 12:23 pm

The chance of diversion is small, as others have said.

If that risk is too substantial, it can be mitigated by looking at historically typical flight paths for the flights in question and estimate which countries might be probable under a diversion. That list can then be used to determine importation requirements for each, and ensure that the OP carries appropriate documentation for all of them.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SJOGuy
To the OP: What has prompted this concern? Sure. A flight diversion to another country could always happen. How likely is it to occur, though?
Carrying opium tincture as medication for chronic diarrhoea. This falls under strict regulations and even within Schengen countries requires a form that is signed by a local health authority in addition to the doctor who issued the prescription. Concern is that entering the wrong country with the wrong documentation could lead to serious problems. Risk is small, but arising trouble could be large.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 2:12 am

If a flight diverts to another country and you have controlled drugs, explain your situation to authorities. Bring your prescription and any medical documents for clarification.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.