Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to manage travel and gym

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2013, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Hi FT, no clue where this topic could go under, so mods please forgive me in advance.

As a young person (im 21-29), my workout interests are slightly different than some I would say.
My main goal is not to remain healthy but to gain weight to train muscle.

Means the hotel gyms are not adequate. No racks for squats, very limited options of weights (highest ive seen was 70kg), not enough variety between the exercices...

I obviously do with what I have but... How do you keep up!?

Any of you out there having a hypertrophy training and drinking protein shakes?
How do you manage, traveling with the powder doesnt get too bad, but when you drink 2 shakes per day it makes a lot of stuff to clean and powder to bring if youre staying lets say 5-7 days

I've lost so much muscular mass and it's not the lack of motivation, it's just the workout routine that is hard to work every muscle properly

Thanks
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:01 pm

Programs: CO Gold
are you based in the US?

I would just get a shaker and a small bottle to put the protein shake and you could carry a set of tension bands to do some exercises

heavy weights for sure you wont find but at least should be able to maintain it if you are creative
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:46 pm

I do bodyweight exercises when I'm on the road. The "convict conditioning" program has some incredibly challenging bodyweight exercises that you can do almost anywhere (as long as you have space to lie down/a wall to do handstands against.

I'm not a bodybuilder (I do martial arts and a bit of powerlifting) so I don't watch my diet as much as you do - I skip protein shakes when I'm on the road and just drink a bit extra milk instead. But I have found that high volumes of piston squats, advanced pushups, burpees, and chair dips work for ensuring that you hold on to your strength. I do high reps and time myself, crossfit style, and I don't lose any noticeable strength while I'm on the road.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
If you're that serious about it, you should be able to find a local gym that has day pass rates. You should be able to visit a gym with the equipment you want for $10-25, probably.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Im mostly in Canada and Europe which makes it hard to find an actual gym. When I'm in Ontario my gym membership works everywhere so it's good, but in Europe I think it's like 15euros for a day pass at the gym...Make that 4-5 times a week and I'm ruined.

My fast metabolism doesnt allow me to skip the shakes and keep building muscle, I'm still under 25 so my body still swallows food without gaining weight.

Pushup and burpees are a good replacement but it doesnt replace weight lifting. Chair dips would be great if I had 2 chairs where I stay... Yet I usually put a weight on during dips.

Problem is I havent found a replacement for deadlifts or heavy squats.

I've managed to keep eating well and a lot, but I don't like milk so the only way I drink it is as a shake or with cereal, so that doesnt help.

Handstands against a wall can definitely be a good challenge, I didnt think of doing that.

Keep them coming!
Old Sep 4, 2013, 8:21 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, DL GM, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Look for a non-chain local gym that doesn't require a contract and will let you go month to month. I was able to find one in my work location for $33/month. As for protein, go to target and the muscle milk 4 packs which are like $10 or just adjust your eating habits to get more protein from regular food.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 9:11 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Let's move this over to the Travel Health and Fitness forum for further discussion. Thanks. /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold

Dude! You are speaking my language. I'm the guy that goes on vacation, eats a ton, not work out a single day and loses 10 lbs. Sounds great to the average person but you and I know better. It's all muscle weight so no bueno.

For short trips (under 1 week), I pack a ton of protein to supplement my diet and modify my workouts. You're gonna laugh but I bought these baby formula dispensers from Amazon. They're meant for baby formula but I find they work great for protein powder also. You can pre portion individual servings and not have to carry a giant tub or worry about ziplock bags breaking or spilling. Combine that with a shaker ball cup and you're good to go! Just make sure to rinse out your cup after every use so you can reuse.

As for workouts, no hotel gym will ever replace your home gym so you're gonna have to just modify and make do. Higher reps, less rest times, and more functional workouts (Crossfit routines). Just be more creative with what you have to work with.

For longer trips, I just take them as rest periods. It's good for your body to take time off for a couple of weeks. You'll be surprised how much muscle memory your body will maintain. Sure you'll see atrophy but your body will bounce back in no time and you'll have better gains.

Good luck man. Feel free to hit me up if you have any other questions.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies

I'll try to find a local small gym that will take me for 30/40Euros a month, I would accept that.

I do have my ball shakers and I guess i'll have to stop being lazy and wash them!

Seems like I have to talk to my trainer and have him set up some kind of routine to workout with limited equipment. (This travel thing is fairly new, about a year now so I havent mentionned it so I will)

And Pursued, appreciate all your comments, I know you probably have the same type of crappy body I do, if I stop training, my body slowly goes back to athletic rather than built..

I had set up a yearly program which was
3 months regular hypertrophy training,
3 months intensive power/strength training so much heavier weights, lower reps
3 months recuperation so smaller weights higher reps but still going minimum 4 times/week so to recover my tissues
3 months of cardio/weight lifting again before I start the other year

So for another month I'm still at the power training but after that it will definitely be easier to spend 3 months with higher reps/lighter weights at either a hotel gym or in a room
Old Sep 5, 2013, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tshoobaka
but in Europe I think it's like 15euros for a day pass at the gym...Make that 4-5 times a week and I'm ruined.
Can you talk to the gym people? In the US I visit the "sales" desk and always work out a deal depending on how long I'm going to be there. During heavy periods I'll visit the gym twice/day.

I can think of only 1 or 2 places that I couldn't work out some week long or month long pass deal.

Originally Posted by Tshoobaka
My fast metabolism doesnt allow me to skip the shakes and keep building muscle, I'm still under 25 so my body still swallows food without gaining weight.
This is harder.....I have a small blender that I travel with. Its a huge pain but I'll even take it on site with clients.

You'll have to check baggage for all the suppliments but its doable. If going for a longer trip with no return home I'll but my shakes when there.

crossfit type stuff is a good idea. Are there crossfit gyms in Europe?
Local Rec centers around the US are pretty good (and cheap) too
Old Sep 5, 2013, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Yeah I'm sure if you stay for a couple of months you can find a supplement store and it's going to be worth to buy a small pot of proteins

I'll try the salesdesk and have them do an arrangement for my situation, I'll go the first day of the trip not to waste time on the busier days.

Since it's not always the same cities that I go to through Europe, hopefully after a month or 2 they'll know what I need when I show up

Ill let you know how that goes. I'm in Canada right now but on the 16th I'm out for 2 weeks, so I'll try then
Old Oct 16, 2013, 7:54 am

You already got some ideas on what to do with protien shakes, but also keep in mind that protien can be had from whole food as well. Pretty easy to find chicken (and even canned tuna) on the road.

I dont think you can really replace a good barbell strength program while on the road. Not to say there isn't other ways to train Stregnth. There are some super strong guys and gals that never touch weights. I personally couldn't stand looking for and changing "gyms" all the time. I'd rather have a routine where I could consistently do it in a hotel room or outside at a park. The book below allows you to do that. I have no connection with him, other than being an extremely satisified customer.

Buy Never Gymless by Ross Enamait. Hes a boxing trainer, but this book is written as a total fitness program for people with access to little equipment. It is a hardcore strength and conditioning book, but has beginner programs as well. Stupid cheap too. Probrably the best buy in fitness...

Last edited by barnburner; Oct 16, 2013 at 8:03 am
Old Oct 23, 2013, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond
I've done a few different things over the years depending on the situation.

Travel to varying client offices at random intervals: shaker and ziploc bags plus a few pre-made shakes at GNC. If you go this route, gold card helps.

Traveling to same location week after week. Buy a tub there and keep it at the hotel or in the office. Even if you check out and go home on the weekends, if it's the same hotel, they are going to know you and will be willing to help. I've asked them to hold stuff for me in the past like gym shoes or a heavy winter coat and they've always accomodated.

As for the gym, I don't know if anyone has yet mentioned asking clients/friends at your travel site about companion passes. A gym I used to be with gave me something like 10 guest passes a year. I hardly used them but I would imagine you could ask around and see if someone could hook you up.

For the most part, I do what I can with either body weight exercises or using dumbbells in the hotel gym if available.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rodubls
Even if you check out and go home on the weekends, if it's the same hotel, they are going to know you and will be willing to help. I've asked them to hold stuff for me in the past like gym shoes or a heavy winter coat and they've always accomodated.
I've had them hold a bike for me on a few occasions. Never a problem.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 5:17 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Hey Tshoobaka, I am new to this forum, so recently found this thread. Were you able to find any better solution to your problem regarding "lifting while traveling". I am interested to know about it as I am in the same boat as you.

Cheers,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.