Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness
Reload this Page >

let's play guess my ailment!

let's play guess my ailment!

Old May 28, 2013, 7:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
Kipper, my sister seems to be doing well on the medication used to keep the PBC in check. Thanks for your support for her.

Although the AMA is the definitive test (can be + even with normal LFTs in early PBC), I would guess that with your level of fatigue that the LFTs would have been elevated if PBC was in the differential diagnosis.

Hang in there, and keep trying.
Doris
Old Jun 2, 2013, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
She seemed to rule this out, as the rheumatologist didn't mention it, so she's figuring that if he didn't mention it, I can't have it. *sigh* Looks like, depending on the endocrinologist, I may be making a drive out towards PHL one of these days.
Don't assume, ask the rheumatologist explicitly if fibro could be a possibility. If s/he says no, ask them to explain how they determined that (hopefully in a non confrontational way, if you have more patience with doctors than I do these days).

Sometimes doctors just forget, like us regular mortals, or they get sidetracked from what they meant to ask by a question coming at them.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 6:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Don't assume, ask the rheumatologist explicitly if fibro could be a possibility. If s/he says no, ask them to explain how they determined that (hopefully in a non confrontational way, if you have more patience with doctors than I do these days).

Sometimes doctors just forget, like us regular mortals, or they get sidetracked from what they meant to ask by a question coming at them.
Good point. I'll see what the endocrinologist says, and then will ask specifically about it when I follow-up with the rheumatologist.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 5:51 pm

Good point. I'll see what the endocrinologist says, and then will ask specifically about it when I follow-up with the rheumatologist.
Hope you get squared away soon.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CalVol
Hope you get squared away soon.
Thanks. I have another month before the appointment with the endocrinologist, although the good news is that by routinely hitting about 7 WW points less than my daily allowance, I managed to drop 1 pound in 2 weeks.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Today is one of those days where I know there's something wrong, be it thyroid-related or be it fibromyalgia, or something. I'm incredibly foggy-headed, like I"m just sleepwalking through the day.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Had my appointment with the endocrinologist today. More labwork:
  • TSH
  • Free T4
  • Thyroid Antibody Group
  • Cortisol Level
  • Adrenocorticotropic Hormone
  • Vitamin D
  • Hemoglobin A1C
  • Fasting Glucose
  • 24 Hour Cortisol

He was very specific that the bloodwork should be fasting, and drawn between 7 and 8 AM.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any update on the bloodwork Kip?
Old Aug 8, 2013, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by annerj
Any update on the bloodwork Kip?
The update is that I still need to go get it drawn... It's on my schedule for tomorrow, assuming we have an early dinner tonight. I've been trying to go on a Friday, because I can come in at 7:30, rather than 6:30, but it seems like every Thursday, we have a late dinner or I end up snacking late in the evening, and I don't want to go then, afraid that I've not fasted long enough.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Had the bloodwork drawn today, now to wait a week or two for results.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

results

Low Cortisol and low Vitamin D (again). Vitamin D is 14 this time, it was 11 last time.

The endocrinologist wants the cortisol level tested again, so they're sending a lab slip, and I'll get that done in the next week or two.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not familar with low cortisol.......I'll google it in a bit

Vit D - are you taking a supplement? Put you on 50k/day for couple weeks then taper to 5-6k/day going forward?
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by annerj
I'm not familar with low cortisol.......I'll google it in a bit

Vit D - are you taking a supplement? Put you on 50k/day for couple weeks then taper to 5-6k/day going forward?
They suggested that I take 5,000/day.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 5:17 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Low Cortisol and low Vitamin D (again). Vitamin D is 14 this time, it was 11 last time.

The endocrinologist wants the cortisol level tested again, so they're sending a lab slip, and I'll get that done in the next week or two.
I believe normal D levels start at 30. When I was tested earlier this year after bone density study, I had a reading of 8. I was immediately put on 50K once a week. Recent study showed improvement. Now up to 20 and calcium has also improved. Glad to see your Vit D is going in the right direction.^ Good luck. Low cortisol can also sap your energy. Happy to see that you are now under care of endocrinologist.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by obscure2k
I believe normal D levels start at 30. When I was tested earlier this year after bone density study, I had a reading of 8. I was immediately put on 50K once a week. Recent study showed improvement. Now up to 20 and calcium has also improved. Glad to see your Vit D is going in the right direction.^ Good luck. Low cortisol can also sap your energy. Happy to see that you are now under care of endocrinologist.
When I had a low Vitamin D level last year, they had me on 10k once a week for 2 or 3 months, and then retested. It was 27 then, so my PCP was happy enough with it. I'm hoping the 5k daily will help.

The endocrinologist wants to retest my cortisol level, so we'll see how low it is then, I guess.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.