FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Health and Fitness (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-health-fitness-679/)
-   -   side effect of donating blood? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-health-fitness/1440966-side-effect-donating-blood.html)

kipper Feb 21, 2013 12:46 pm

side effect of donating blood?

I donate blood about quarterly. I know I could donate more often than that, but quarterly works out for me, as my company hosts quarterly blood drives.

The past few times I've donated, I've noticed that the evening after donating, and even the next day, I'm exhausted. Mr. Kipper helped me prepare dinner last night, as I wasn't sure I wanted to tackle all of it by myself. I went to bed at 9 PM last night.

Today, I'm already pondering taking a nap when I get home from work, as I have an event this evening, and I don't know that I'll stay awake for it without a nap! :eek:

Is this normal, or at least not abnormal???

Silver Fox Feb 21, 2013 2:39 pm

There is a good article on it here.

kipper Feb 21, 2013 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Silver Fox (Post 20292541)
There is a good article on it here.

Thanks! Sounds like I need to boost my iron intake for a bit. :)

kerse Mar 1, 2013 10:26 am

Yep! A good amount of iron in your system before having your blood drawn is key!

Try to make sure that the night before a blood drive you have some red meat and leafy greens. I'd also suggest just before going into the blood-mobile have some peanut butter on celery. Red meat, leafy greens, and peanut butter are all extremely high in iron. May not be the best things to eat all the time, but just before a blood drive, they are imperative!

Silver Fox Mar 1, 2013 10:29 am

And a pint of Guinness.

aztimm Mar 1, 2013 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Silver Fox (Post 20340315)
And a pint of Guinness.

Ha! When I was in the Army, we'd normally get the rest of the day off after donating blood. More than once, I remember going out drinking...and it took far less to feel it :p

Silver Fox Mar 1, 2013 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm (Post 20340957)
Ha! When I was in the Army, we'd normally get the rest of the day off after donating blood. More than once, I remember going out drinking...and it took far less to feel it :p

Far be it from me to say that any soldier would give blood just to get the day off. No sir, not I, nor anybody I know, or knew, or might know in the future ! :D

kipper Mar 3, 2013 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm (Post 20340957)

LOL, I did that once. It was shortly after 9/11, and I donated, then proceeded to start drinking. It did take far less to feel it. :D