Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness
Reload this Page >

How to boost the immune system during frequent travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to boost the immune system during frequent travel?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2012, 9:45 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I take my Physician with me, she brings her scrip pad. and hands me an asprin.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by annerj
Who knows but it seems like it I take Zicam when I start to feel bad sometimes I skip right over the cold.
Wonder if they have that here, but also not sure if it matters at this point. I'm in full-blown watering eyes, runny nose, coughing mode.

Cheers.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Wonder if they have that here, but also not sure if it matters at this point. I'm in full-blown watering eyes, runny nose, coughing mode.

Cheers.

I think they claim to shorten colds also. It may be the placebo effect but I keep them on hand.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 7:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I do take some Emergen-C with me, and particularly use it the day or two after arrival. As well I use a product similar to Purell (too harsh for prolonged use) with Ale vera - "fomite" may have just become a favorite household word since "Contagion" (the move) but it's a perfectly valid one.

The usual issue with what you consume - your body may not be used to local bacteria and chemicals in the water supply, or even mosquito and biting insect histamines, even in countries with pretty good sanitation. And some seemingly innocuous foods can affect you as well - as a child I could not resist eating several mangoes when the season began. This is an excellent way to loosen your bowels, and mango (especially the skin) has urushiol, the same chemical you may be allergic to in poison oak or ivy.

In many countries, of course, be careful of the water (and ice), unwashed unpeeled vegetables or fruits, etc.

Contrary to the cw, aircraft cabins to day are pretty well ventilated and it is the high density of people and close proximity of contagious diseases that contribute to the problem, much like on a subway system, etc.

As for Zicam and products containing zinc, especially administered nasally, be cautious, My oldest niece, who loves wines and good food, is quite health conscious and active and fairly knowledgeable about them, became anosmic. She is recovering some of her sense of smell (which affects your sense of taste much more than you would possibly believe), but two years later she is not even close to having the sense she once possessed (speaking of sense of olfaction, I mean ).

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 20, 2012 at 7:17 pm
Old Feb 20, 2012, 9:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Yesterday, my 6 year old kid opened the child proof cap to Carz Vitamins and downed a quarter bottle over a couple of days I found out. I read the instructions and there is no comment about taking too many vitamins. He was pretty alert and sharp, and his cold seemed to subside.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 9:22 am

This is what I do:

1- in the airport and on the plane, use hand sanitizer after touching shared surfaces (or wash hands in the bathroom)
2- before boarding plane, get water and drink it before and during the flight
3- spray nose with a plain saline solution before boarding. If it's a long flight, spray again halfway through.
4- take extra Vitamin D3, Zinc, Kyolic Aged Garlic before the flight, and Kyolic and D3 (plus regular vitamins) for the duration of the trip
5- I'm one of the crazies that cleans the surfaces of he hotel room, and puts the remote in a clear ziplock.
6- if I do catch a cold on a trip, I take Oscillococcinum. I swear by it. ^
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsorority
5- I'm one of the crazies that cleans the surfaces of he hotel room, and puts the remote in a clear ziplock.

LOL.

I'm one of the ones the believes too much caution (hand sanitizer, etc) may not be the best bet long term.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by annerj
LOL.

I'm one of the ones the believes too much caution (hand sanitizer, etc) may not be the best bet long term.
That's why I only do it while I'm in hotels- at home I'm more normal

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.