Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you take the flu shot?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Thanks for all the replies and stories. I'm heading over to CVS this afternoon to get the shot.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:21 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I always got the flu shot and always had a terrible reaction at the shot site. Arm would immediately swell and it would be painful for days. I discovered that if I got the preservative-free flu shot I would not have that pain and swelling. Apparently, there is mercury in most of the medications. I do just fine. I simply ask for the preservative-free one.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:18 am

Each year I also get one - I get the flu shot free at I.U. Hospital so that's also nice!
Old Oct 16, 2011, 12:26 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I never get the flu shot. I have had the flu once in my life. I figure that would be about the same as if I got flu shots since they're really sort of guessing - albeit educated guesses - as to what they are vaccinating you against.

I don't touch door knobs, railings, holds in subways, anything other people touch. I stay away from people who are coughing and sneezing. I figure that's better than a flu shot.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
+1 for getting it...other than allergies and the rare cold, it seems to help keep me healthy!
Old Oct 16, 2011, 2:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by l'etoile
I don't touch door knobs, railings, holds in subways, anything other people touch. I stay away from people who are coughing and sneezing.
Are you related to Howie Mandel?

Cheers.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 4:03 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by obscure2k
I always got the flu shot and always had a terrible reaction at the shot site. Arm would immediately swell and it would be painful for days. I discovered that if I got the preservative-free flu shot I would not have that pain and swelling. Apparently, there is mercury in most of the medications. I do just fine. I simply ask for the preservative-free one.
That reminds me that they now have one that's inhaled, rather than injected, don't they?
Old Oct 16, 2011, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
That reminds me that they now have one that's inhaled, rather than injected, don't they?
LAIV (inhaled version of the vaccine) is not recommended for people younger than 2 or older than 50.

Someone told me if you raise your arm above your head & move it around a lot on the first day that your arm isn't as sore from the injection.

My arm gets sore from any injection, so I don't think it's specific to a flu shot (tetanus it lasts for a few days), but next time I get an injection of any type I'll try the moving the arm around strategy. Can't hurt; might help.

Cheers.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
LAIV (inhaled version of the vaccine) is not recommended for people younger than 2 or older than 50.

Someone told me if you raise your arm above your head & move it around a lot on the first day that your arm isn't as sore from the injection.

My arm gets sore from any injection, so I don't think it's specific to a flu shot (tetanus it lasts for a few days), but next time I get an injection of any type I'll try the moving the arm around strategy. Can't hurt; might help.

Cheers.
Soreness is likely from your immune system (and fluid buildup) acting on the foreign substance just injected into your muscle. You will feel some dull pain and soreness like its being stretched, which is natural immune response. I would not recommend applying any pressure directly on it (though a gentle compress can help), but I have done some shoulder rotations in the past and it has helped keep my arm from getting too sore - helps get the blood moving (as does the warm compress) to clear away the fluid buildup that causes some of the stiffness.

Other people have suggested Advil to lessen the pain
Old Oct 16, 2011, 5:30 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite
BTW. This year I got my shot at a Target store Pharmacy in San Diego and the price was only $17.68 for anyone, insured or not. I don't know where that price came from but that was what I paid just walking into the Target store. I get all but $5 reimbursed by my employer anyway so no big difference to me but the $17.68 price did strike me as a heck of a deal so if Target Pharmacy still has that deal going, I'll give them a plug for that.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 6:57 am

Don't know if they still do it (no CVS where I know live), but if you were a member of CVS rewards program you got a $2 discount on the flu shot.

Hmm, we do have a Target here but it's a smaller one; I don't think it has a pharmacy. I got mine for $24 at Sam's Club when I stopped by to buy some wine. Next year I'll have to check out a dif Target. Although I liked getting it at ORD when transiting, as it was easy to do when on the road.

neuron, thanks for the explanation & info.

Cheers.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 7:57 am

Cheers.
Thanks. I fit into that, although my company covers the cost of the shot, so... In fact, I get that this afternoon, at work.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:42 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Are you related to Howie Mandel?

Cheers.
Don't touch me!

(I did learn a ton from my son who works with ebola and other viruses. The things he does to avoid touching stuff touched by others is amazing ... and not real obvious until it's pointed out to you.)
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:03 am

Don't touch me!

(I did learn a ton from my son who works with ebola and other viruses. The things he does to avoid touching stuff touched by others is amazing ... and not real obvious until it's pointed out to you.)
Do share.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't touch door knobs, railings, holds in subways, anything other people touch. I stay away from people who are coughing and sneezing. I figure that's better than a flu shot.
I never get the shot and I DO touch door knobs, railings, holds in subways

I'm a little surprised that it seems most people, at least on this thread, do get it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.