The cycling thread

Old Feb 22, 2013, 7:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yes Claud Butler always had a good name for building bikes. Mine was bought during the Holdsworth ownership days and was one of the last hand built ones. They sold the brand on to Falcon who started mass producing them taking the brand rather more down market.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 8:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Buster
I'd probably take my own pedals if I were taking my shoes, because I don't use SPD pedals. If you use SPD, you're probably ok, because I've found that that's what most rentals use. If you use a different pedal standard, however, then your cleats on your shoes aren't going to work. I suppose you could swap cleats, but if you're like me, I can't really use SPD for a variety of reasons.
I've only rented bikes a few times on the road. I have an extra pair of SPD pedals that I bring with me, together with mountain shoes. I attach my helmet to my backpack and just put it in the overhead bin (I asked a check-in agent once, and she seemed surprised that I'd ask). I pack jersey, shorts, socks, and also bring my repair saddlebag (never know what a rental shop will give).

I normally (well most of the time) use Speedplay pedals, and have those cleats on my primary shoes. But I learned the whole clip-in thing with SPD, and can go between the two rather effortlessly. I have SPD pedals on my cross bike.

Before I rode el Tour de Tucson last year, I put my extra SPD pedals on my bike, and used my mountain shoes w/SPD cleats. Was so glad I did, as there were 2 washes where we had to dismount and walk through. There was so much dirt and sand, I would have really trashed my good cleats (even people who used cleat covers complained). Yea I might have been a little slower with SPD than Speedplay (and the shoes), but at least I didn't trash my good shoes, cleats, or pedals.

Has anyone else been riding this year? I was looking on Strava earlier today and was surprised that I've already ridden 844 miles (and that was missing about 2 weeks due to weather and illness).
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:30 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
Originally Posted by aztimm
Has anyone else been riding this year?
I've got studded tires on the mtn bike and I'm shaking down the S&S Surly, but really could be riding more.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 3:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pierre mclopez
I've got studded tires on the mtn bike and I'm shaking down the S&S Surly, but really could be riding more.
Seems everyone is picking up a Surly now...maybe I'll have to get one for some casual rides along the canal. Although I do have a Cross bike.

I got out this morning for a ride. Wasn't too bad when I started, but the wind really picked up during the ride. I hit a bunch of Strava PR's--while I had an awesome tailwind, but also had a headwind for the last 8-9 miles home, which wasn't fun. Here's the link if anyone wants to take a look.

Anyone else doing el Tour de Mesa?
http://www1.perimeterbicycling.com/el-tour-de-mesa/
It will be here before you know it.
I did it last year. It was cooler (I'd guess 50-55F) with a little drizzle, and some wind, but nothing too horrible. It is extremely scenic and well supported. I'd highly recommend it if anyone wants a travel tour...and the shop I use rents bikes
Old Feb 24, 2013, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ahh riding. We are still in the middle of snowmobile season here. Will be another couple months before the bikes come out.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
Seems everyone is picking up a Surly now...
Less rebellious than All-City, but well conceived. Not a tank or a noodle.....smartly back to basics. Pleasant surprise.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 2:16 pm

598.4 miles for Feb 2013. Certainly not a record, but decent, especially given the short month...and that it is still winter. This is the most since Oct, when I rode 821.4 miles.

I've been trying to get in more climbing this year. A bit tough, given where I live is really flat. But I plan every ride around at least a little elevation.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 4:58 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Frequent travelers and cyclists... finally I have found my kind!!

I couldn't complete in a single event last year because of being on the road all the time. Cycling is indeed a tough sport for travelers. However, if you are driving and have the trunk space, it can be done.

It becomes quite difficult when you only have one bike and it's a CF frame. Wouldn't want to put that through rigors of modern travel.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

and that it is still winter.

you mean "winter" right
Old Mar 1, 2013, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by annerj
you mean "winter" right
Ha! We've had near-record cold (22F), snow/sleet/freezing rain, along with high temps near 80. All within a 2-3 week range
I've chatted with other area cyclists, and we all agree that we'd rather the 80-90-even 100 degree temps of Jun-Jul-Aug to the high winds we get here in the winter (sustained 25 mph winds last Sunday).

Frequent travelers and cyclists... finally I have found my kind!!
Speaking of traveling/cycling, some friends from PA told me about this yesterday:
http://www.tourdechocolatetown.com/

I'm about due for a family visit in May anyway (I wait until Apr-May for decent weather), can take a week, visit family, rent a bike from the shop where I bought my first 10-speed, and drive down to Hershey for this ride.
I'd think it is more rolling hills, and not the flat-as-pancake or crazy-extreme-climb conditions we have here.

I rented a CF bike (not quite as nice as mine though) while on a trip to Houston last year. The going rate is about $40-50/day, with deals for multiple days or a week.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 10:07 am

Winds can kill it for me, but honestly there's something I love about biking in the cold. The air is crisp, everything just feels... cleaner? I don't know, it's hard to describe. Plus the cold invigorates me. Nothing I like more than bundling up and going biking. But yeah, no wind please.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kerse
Winds can kill it for me, but honestly there's something I love about biking in the cold. The air is crisp, everything just feels... cleaner? I don't know, it's hard to describe. Plus the cold invigorates me. Nothing I like more than bundling up and going biking. But yeah, no wind please.
What = cold though? Its all about the gear IMO.

Here we have wind all year long so its just something you learn to deal with. But in the winter is cold enough that normally the first big snow fall stays on the ground for 6-8 weeks until we get that end of Jan/Feb thaw. Even now I wouldn't go out on my road bike as there are just some spots of snow/ice out there (although melting fast...its been 'warm' here lately). I would take my mountain bike out...or a cross if I owned one (soon!)

I'm a bit of a sissy compared to many around here I find 45-50 degrees when there is wind is sort of my min comfort zone. Yes I'll ride in the low 40s and even venture out for a 30 degree day here and there (Rain, sleet, snow...I've ridden in it all) but I'm cranky about it when it happens .

*it was a warm year last year and we still had multiple snow days well into May.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm more of a snowmobiler by heart though. I'd much rather be out on the mountain digging sleds out of the snow for exercise in the winter

*I've seen a few (6 maybe total) fat tired 'ice' bikes out there this winter. Now that looks like some serious work....
Old Mar 3, 2013, 9:32 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
What is a good place in Manhattan to get a steel frame bike? I might be getting a long-term consulting gig in NYC and the company will probably give me a small apartment as a pied de terre. I was gonna get a trainer and a cheap fixed gear bike for a make shift indoor spinner. CF bike and outdoor riding will have be to kept for weekends but atleast I can keep the legs going.

Thoughts/ suggestions?
Old Mar 8, 2013, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

First outside ride of the season for me. 39 degrees and no real wind (single digits).

Hands and feet were a touch cold...ugh

snow today but looks pretty dang warm next week...ITS ON!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.