FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Health and Fitness (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-health-fitness-679/)
-   -   Running while traveling (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-health-fitness/1232044-running-while-traveling.html)

keeper22 Jun 30, 2011 7:52 pm

Running while traveling

Any great ideas on finding places to run when you travel? I like to avoid the treadmill as much as possible. I have a Garmin GPS and use Garmin Connect. I've used the 'explore' option a couple of times, but it's been kind of hit or miss for finding good, safe places.

hch Jul 1, 2011 1:03 am

Originally Posted by keeper22 (Post 16654415)
Any great ideas on finding places to run when you travel? I like to avoid the treadmill as much as possible. I have a Garmin GPS and use Garmin Connect. I've used the 'explore' option a couple of times, but it's been kind of hit or miss for finding good, safe places.

The internet is your friend. If it's a popular place FOO + running will yield lots of results. If it's not or your more adventurous a map (online or offline) will tell you about nice areas that aren't full of concrete.

SkiAdcock Jul 4, 2011 4:10 pm

There are a variety of places to find info: hotel, this forum, internet google, etc. I usually just headed out the door from the hotel.

Cheers.

JY1024 Jul 5, 2011 9:04 am

I've generally had pretty good success checking with the hotel Concierge and letting them know what I'm looking for in a running route. Depending on the city, I sometimes specifically ask for routes that take me:

- along a river/landmarks/touristy sites
- away from high car/pedestrian traffic
- on flatter/hillier terrain

I'm not an avid runner, but I know others on the board have mentioned some running sites that probably give good routes. (I know www.mapmyroute.com has an option to publicly share the routes that users input.)

Yuengling Jul 6, 2011 4:47 am

Second the concierge option - twice they've pulled out a preplanned map with recommended routes, including various length runs.

Also you may want to look for a local running club.

taylorc418 Jul 7, 2011 8:46 am

I second the local running club recommendation - good way to do group runs as well if safety is a concern. I also use the local parks department - sometimes they have trails or can give you routes around the area that are popular.

keeper22 Jul 8, 2011 6:58 pm

Thanks. The running club is a great idea. Safety is my biggest concern.

theBeist Jul 13, 2011 3:15 pm

Google Maps

If I can't find a place to run by just searching the internet, I will often pull up Google Maps and look at the area around the hotel in the satellite view. I have several times been able to locate trails this way.

TrojanHorse Jul 23, 2011 11:50 am

Sidney Harbour Marriott Circular Quay

I was looking at the virtual concierge for my upcoming stay.

I noticed that under fitness, they had a box to check to meet with the local running club. I thought that was cool. I did not check it but intend to ask upon check in

dhuey Jul 28, 2011 11:17 am

Originally Posted by keeper22 (Post 16695891)
Thanks. The running club is a great idea. Safety is my biggest concern.

I did that in London once with the Richmond Park running club -- very friendly group. Of course, it can be hit and miss on whether the set times for club runs fit into your schedule.

I agree with the advice above, and if all else fails, just look for the nearest park/greenway and try it out. You're safe if you see lots of runners and walkers.

TrojanHorse Jul 31, 2011 4:52 am

Originally Posted by dhuey (Post 16815220)
I did that in London once with the Richmond Park running club -- very friendly group. Of course, it can be hit and miss on whether the set times for club runs fit into your schedule.

I agree with the advice above, and if all else fails, just look for the nearest park/greenway and try it out. You're safe if you see lots of runners and walkers.

I've ended up running alone in the botanical gardens here in SYD and what a marvelous, gorgeous (park and eye candy :p) place to run and the weather has been perfect this week

FlirtatiousFlyer Aug 3, 2011 5:47 am

botanical gardens

I too loved running in the botanical gardens while in Sydney. It only took me a few days to get used to running on the opposite side of the path. There were a lot of near collisions before that though while I wondered why people kept coming right at me. It never occurred to me that just as they drive on the wrong side of the road, they also run on the wrong side of the trails. :D

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse (Post 16830802)
I've ended up running alone in the botanical gardens here in SYD and what a marvelous, gorgeous (park and eye candy :p) place to run and the weather has been perfect this week

taylorc418 Aug 4, 2011 9:41 am

I do a lot of "non-urban" travel and have found that early morning and early evening along the main routes in a town are good because people aren't out yet for work, and it's relatively peaceful.

keeper22 Aug 13, 2011 5:33 pm

I just found this I am not sure how comprehensive this is, but looks like it is helpful.

l etoile Aug 13, 2011 6:15 pm

Agree on checking with the concierge as many hotels have preprinted running maps. Pretty sure all Kimpton Hotels put a running map in each room.