Eating Out With Coworkers?

Old May 16, 11, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
You could try the, "We go there all the time. Why don't we try, XYZ," suggestion, even if you think it won't work, but add to it a, "I've been wanting to try XYZ." You might find that others would prefer going elsewhere too.

Depending on your relationship with your boss, you could also explain to him privately that while you really enjoy this place, the food is really tempting, and you are really focusing on trying to improve your health, and would appreciate a little more variety.

Or, if you want to tackle a little extra work, tell him that you'd love to take on planning all of your department's lunches for the semester, and then you can feel free to schedule lunches at other locations.
Originally Posted by anonplz View Post
If you want to try being a little sneaky and play a head game with them, lol, data shows (and I actually have confirmed on my own anecdotally) that when someone asks for a favor, likelihood of acceptance increases dramatically when the request is posited like so: "Can we try ABC instead, because last time we went to XYZ I got some tummy trouble/my food was cold/I didn't enjoy it." The key here is to use the word 'because' and then append that with anything, reasonable or not. @:-)
These are both good suggestions. I'm going to come up with some plausible, non-offensive excuse this summer!
Old May 16, 11, 2:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Programs: HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by anonplz View Post
If you want to try being a little sneaky and play a head game with them, lol, data shows (and I actually have confirmed on my own anecdotally) that when someone asks for a favor, likelihood of acceptance increases dramatically when the request is posited like so: "Can we try ABC instead, because last time we went to XYZ I got some tummy trouble/my food was cold/I didn't enjoy it." The key here is to use the word 'because' and then append that with anything, reasonable or not. @:-)
I think this is a very good idea! You could try, "Can we try ABC instead, because last time we went to XYZ, I found hair in my salad." No one can really prove that, but it's disgusting enough that others will go, "Eww, I don't want to go there."
Old May 16, 11, 3:14 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I think this is a very good idea! You could try, "Can we try ABC instead, because last time we went to XYZ, I found hair in my salad." No one can really prove that, but it's disgusting enough that others will go, "Eww, I don't want to go there."
I wouldn't do that because that's implying a health code violation by the restaurant, which is not fair to do. The other reasons such as got some tummy trouble/my food was cold/I didn't enjoy it are more personal in nature.

Cheers.
Old May 17, 11, 2:49 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Programs: HH Diamond, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
I wouldn't do that because that's implying a health code violation by the restaurant, which is not fair to do. The other reasons such as got some tummy trouble/my food was cold/I didn't enjoy it are more personal in nature.

Cheers.
True, but if it's "I didn't enjoy it," that can make the person saying that look like they are complaining.
Old May 17, 11, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid
True, but if it's "I didn't enjoy it," that can make the person saying that look like they are complaining.
I think it's best not to offend or make it seem like there are health code violations.

I think that in my case, "You know, we go there so often that it's really the only place I ever get to eat when in town. I really don't know the town's offerings all that well. Is there somewhere else an out-of-towner should try?" It will only work for my particular situation but I think it evokes the "help me" kind of vibe which creates white knights out of ordinary men. If it works, we all win!
Old May 22, 11, 5:41 pm

This *just* happened to me - we had customers in town, and they wanted to go to a very popular local sandwich shop. For some reason, every time I eat there I get sick. I have no idea why, as this place is packed every day, so obviously other people aren't getting sick.

So I went...and got sick. Bizarre. I really have to remember that I don't want to eat there, and come up with a plausible excuse to divert these customers elsewhere in future.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: