Search

Grrrr...stupid beach vacation....

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2011, 12:08 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Grrrr...stupid beach vacation....

You spend all year getting and staying in 'beach shape.' And what happens? You go to the beach, drink beer every day, eat enough carbs to compete in an ironman but instead more or less sit on the beach all day.

Curse thee, 5 pounds! I shall DESTROY thee!
Old Aug 2, 2011, 1:20 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Avis First, National EE, Marriott Gold
Ahhh the beauty of a vacation I normally do cheat days, but on vaca I do cheat meals - healthy breakfast, decent lunch, and terrible for you dinner. Helps to minimize the impact, but still isn't a fun weight gain
Old Aug 2, 2011, 1:36 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Hmm, I always end up losing weight on vacation, no matter where I go.

My last, "beach vacation," was to Hawaii. On both Oahu the Big Island, I swam like 3 miles a day and ran 10 or so a day. For swimming, I'd check-in with the lifeguard, ask what would be a good route, leave my shirt/shoes/sunglasses near them, then take off.

The water you see in front of you makes a great place to actually swim
Plus you just need a suit and goggles, water already provided.

I did startle some French tourists once. I was coming back from across a bay (had told the lifeguard my plan), and this guy/gal were all jumping up and down. They made great sighters
Old Aug 2, 2011, 4:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO

Yep, story of my life. Get in shape for a holiday and then go and gain weight on the holiday that I just spent months getting in shape for.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 1:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
That's what return from vacation is for; get back on track. On holidays all bets are off (with the caveat of totally staying away from buffets). I find I walk more so usually come back even or at best only up a couple. And a few days after returning I'm back to normal.

koko, you didn't do any beach running in the mornings? Running (or even walking) along ocean's edge is nice.

Cheers.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 10:06 pm
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by kokonutz
You spend all year getting and staying in 'beach shape.' And what happens? You go to the beach, drink beer every day, eat enough carbs to compete in an ironman but instead more or less sit on the beach all day.

Curse thee, 5 pounds! I shall DESTROY thee!
Two words.......

Rum!
Old Aug 4, 2011, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA, DL, UA, IHG, HHonors
Originally Posted by chollie

Yep, story of my life. Get in shape for a holiday and then go and gain weight on the holiday that I just spent months getting in shape for.
Me too!
Old Aug 8, 2011, 1:05 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Meh, the most exercise I get on beach vacations come from 18 rounds of golf...with many stops at the beer cart lady.

But a week of eating right and running and I'm back to fighting weight. ^

This week we're going it IST and JTR. I'll come back from those in good shape as we walk and walk and walk on those vacations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.