Reload this Page >

destination marathons?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

destination marathons?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2017, 6:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I just saw a story on the news about this race:
http://www.baikal-marathon.org/

It made me think of this thread, and wondering if dhuey has done it yet
Old Mar 14, 2017, 12:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by aztimm
I just saw a story on the news about this race:
http://www.baikal-marathon.org/

It made me think of this thread, and wondering if dhuey has done it yet
Can't say I have. Seems like a pretty weird one.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 6:55 am

I did Baikal Ice Marathon last week! Yes, weird, but amazing, too! Great fun!
Old Mar 16, 2017, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by gdedes
I did Baikal Ice Marathon last week! Yes, weird, but amazing, too! Great fun!
Welcome to FT, gdedes! Please tell us more about this strange race.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by dhuey
Welcome to FT, gdedes! Please tell us more about this strange race.
Thank you dhuey!

There is a full marathon and a half one, starting from one side of the lake to the other, above its frozen surface. No worries, the ice is thick enough so that big trucks can easily cross the lake.

The race can be completely held on ice or snow, depending on the weather conditions. If there is snow, they will clean it with bobcats, so that there will only be a few cm of it, during the race. Spikes are needed in any case. The temperature varies. This year we had a good -9C at the beginning, with sun and only a bit of wind. Last year it was -27C. This is the exactly what this race is all about. One must be prepared for any conditions and weather forecasts are usually a failure. To give you the idea, I had a relaxing 4h46m time this year, coming 85th among men. This time last year would send me to the 8th place.

Flags in every 50m will show the way. If there is snow and it is cleared, it is easy to find the course, but this is not the case on blue ice. There are 6 stops with tea, water, nuts and dried fruits. Their position varies, depending on the conditions.

The race can host up to 200 athletes, due to tough logistics (hotels in the villages close to the course cannot support larger numbers, and transportation to the starting point is done by hovercrafts that can carry up to 8 people, by crossing the lake).

As you might think, this is the as flat as it can be and the scenery repeats itself for the whole course. However, the feeling is great and in clear weather you can see the finish right from the start. At least, everyone loved it this year.

Most participants are from Russia, Poland, Germany and China. For a couple of days, the whole thing seems like a running camp, anticipation can be thrilling.

The organizers are doing a great job, given the circumstances. Surprizes are frequent, but in the end, all that matters is that crazy memory of having run a full marathon on ice, a privilege that only a few have. And there is a ceremonial dinner afterwards where local vodka (yes, with water from the lake) prevails!

Check www.baikal-marathon.org for more information. Videos and pictures of this year's race can be found at Protocols' link.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 10:27 am

Thanks for the report, gdedes. While the race sounds interesting, it wouldn't be a good match for me. You might consider the Polar Circle Marathon if you want to consider another cold weather race. It's sold out for this year's race (28 October), but there is a waitlist. I posted a link to the race video up a few posts.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 5:48 pm
Suspended

Patagonian international marathon

A tree is planted for each runner in this eco-friendly race, which winds through a national park mainly on unpaved roads. You'll see plenty of breathtaking mountains, glaciers and wildlife, but you won't see one familiar marathon sight: To reduce litter, this course is cup-free—meaning runners must carry their own bottles or hydration packs.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by Liza Lorena
A tree is planted for each runner in this eco-friendly race, which winds through a national park mainly on unpaved roads. You'll see plenty of breathtaking mountains, glaciers and wildlife, but you won't see one familiar marathon sight: To reduce litter, this course is cup-free—meaning runners must carry their own bottles or hydration packs.
Have you run it, Liza?
Old May 6, 2017, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My best destination marathon was in Jan 2016 in Marrakech. This year I am contemplating running the Kiev or Tallin marathons which means training this summer. Wish I didn't live in Florida.

I am also looking at doing the Reykavik half-marathon. Maybe we can have a FT meet up there.
Old May 15, 2017, 11:29 am

Next year for me: the Bhutan International Marathon. USA travel package: http://terrischneider.com/bim/tpo/

Race is 3 March 2018. Anyone want to join me?

Old Jun 7, 2017, 8:13 am

Location: Dorset, United Kingdom. Frequently at higher altitudes.
Programs: BAEC Gold and a few others
Hi all, just back from the Himalayas where Mrs J completed the Everest Marathon. Will post a TR soon! We organised a full private trip for 2 clients.

Amazing experience for all competitors. I actually completed the full marathon course in 10mins, but apparently using a Eurocopter is deemed unsportsmanlike!
Old Jun 20, 2017, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by MrAndMrsJones
Hi all, just back from the Himalayas where Mrs J completed the Everest Marathon. Will post a TR soon! We organised a full private trip for 2 clients.

Amazing experience for all competitors. I actually completed the full marathon course in 10mins, but apparently using a Eurocopter is deemed unsportsmanlike!
Sounds amazing. I look forward to the report.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 11:08 am

Location: Dorset, United Kingdom. Frequently at higher altitudes.
Programs: BAEC Gold and a few others
Posted now! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...himalayas.html
Old Jul 15, 2017, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by MrAndMrsJones
Unreal and fabulous!
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
I have not yet run a marathon, only half in HKG and NY.
Just signed for the Golden Gate half-marathon in San Francisco this November.
https://www.motivrunning.com/golden-gate-halfmarathon/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.