Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness
Reload this Page >

destination marathons?

destination marathons?

Old Dec 23, 2016, 11:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Getting ready for Honolulu this morning. Will be my second time but I've managed to catch a cold so not expecting much. I'm looking forward to the post race Kona longboard lager while relaxing on the beach much more than the race itself!
How did Honolulu go? Never for me. I can barely run six miles in Hawaii without melting. I'd end up a stain on the pavement if I attempted marathon distance.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 12:26 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by dhuey
How did Honolulu go? Never for me. I can barely run six miles in Hawaii without melting. I'd end up a stain on the pavement if I attempted marathon distance.
My only marathon was Honolulu in '99. The race starts at 5:00am so melting isn't really too bad. The year I did it there was torrential rain for the first half of the race & wind the latter half. I finished, but it wasn't pretty. Massive blisters on bottom of both feet due to friction w/ really wet socks/shoes. I did ok through mile 19, but from there to end of race it was sheer willpower to finish due to blisters. Other than the blisters/pain I liked the course & of course the fireworks at beginning of the race.

LOL - just realized I wrote about the Honolulu '99 experience earlier in this thread.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/15938351-post4.html

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Dec 23, 2016 at 12:31 pm
Old Dec 23, 2016, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
My only marathon was Honolulu in '99.
Believe me, I'm impressed. Hawaii at 5 am is still oppressive heat and humidity as far as I'm concerned for distance running. I'm at a far edge of the spectrum of runners when it comes to how cold and heat affect them.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Believe me, I'm impressed. Hawaii at 5 am is still oppressive heat and humidity as far as I'm concerned for distance running. I'm at a far edge of the spectrum of runners when it comes to how cold and heat affect them.
I feel the exact opposite as I much prefer running in warm/humid weather to cold/dry weather. Honolulu was OK this past year for me but not my best as I had a cold. Even still, I preferred it to the SF marathon I ran earlier in the year despite the cooler and foggier conditions in SF. That race seemed much harder to me even though I finished with almost the exact same time as Honolulu. The above mentioned Kona Lager was fantastic after the HNL race but come to think of it, the pint of Anchor Steam was just as good after the SF finish :-)
Old Jan 18, 2017, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I feel the exact opposite as I much prefer running in warm/humid weather to cold/dry weather. Honolulu was OK this past year for me but not my best as I had a cold. Even still, I preferred it to the SF marathon I ran earlier in the year despite the cooler and foggier conditions in SF. That race seemed much harder to me even though I finished with almost the exact same time as Honolulu. The above mentioned Kona Lager was fantastic after the HNL race but come to think of it, the pint of Anchor Steam was just as good after the SF finish :-)
Old Jan 18, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: Aadvantage Platinum, Marriott Gold
There used to be another marathon on Oahu, the North Shore Marathon. small race, started nearby Haleiwa. super flat course along the coast. small, only 400-500 runners, but well supported. Sadly they canceled it in 2016, maybe it will come back
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by flsusi
There used to be another marathon on Oahu, the North Shore Marathon. small race, started nearby Haleiwa. super flat course along the coast. small, only 400-500 runners, but well supported. Sadly they canceled it in 2016, maybe it will come back
There's one in Maui in October: point-to-point course starting in Kahului and finishing in Kaanapali. The 5 am start helps with the heat and humidity, but still not my thing.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 11:51 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
After a few years of couch potatoing, lalala and I have registered for the Reykjavik half marathon in August.

http://www.marathon.is/reykjavik-marathon
Old Jan 25, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by missydarlin
After a few years of couch potatoing, lalala and I have registered for the Reykjavik half marathon in August.

Cool!
Old Jan 25, 2017, 5:59 pm

Nice!
Old Feb 16, 2017, 4:53 am

Programs: United MileagePlus, Rapid Rewards, Saga Club, KrisFlyer

Oh wow! tell me what it was like when you get back-- we loved our visit to Iceland and are going back again in Sept.

If you give this race the thumbs up I am all over it for 2018 and will even try and get a group together from my running club :-D
Old Feb 18, 2017, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm kicking off my 2017 running season with the Suzhou half marathon next month. I'm looking forward to this race in one of China's nicer cities sometimes called the "Venice of Asia". I'm expecting it to be flat and crowded, but it will be a good tune up for races later this year all building back up to a hopefully better finish in HNL this December!
Old Mar 3, 2017, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
2017 will be busy...

Feb - Austin Half
Mar - Cambridge Half, NYC Half
Apr - London Marathon
May - Brooklyn Half, maybe the Edinburgh Half
July - Snowdonia Wales 10k (takes me a long time)
Aug - RnR Dublin Half
Oct - MCM
Nov - NYC Marathon (now to figure out hotel!)
Old Mar 11, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, Rapid Rewards, Saga Club, KrisFlyer
I'm doing the Midnight Sun Run in Reykjavik this June!!

missydarlin, you got me to thinking. I decided to pull the trigger on an Icelandic half of my own! And I even got my brother (not a runner YET...) to join me. he's gonna do the 10K.

Our race: the Suzuki Midnight Sun Run, taking place on the brightly lit night of June 23, 2017!!

Anyone else gonna be there?
Old Mar 11, 2017, 7:15 pm

Sounds like a really cool race, crittermonster! Best of luck and please let us know how it goes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.