Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness
Reload this Page >

Do you exercise more on the road or at home?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2011, 10:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

This is not intended for the FT marathoners & those who run daily cuz they probably do both

You'd think that when you're home, in your own environment, health clubs nearby or running/walking/biking trails, etc, that you'd work out more at home. But I find that I can get easily distracted, whether by different activities or weather (I hate the cold, and my health club is near enough that the car doesn't have enough time to warm up, hence on really cold days I might not make it - I know, I know. That's just weird).

When I'm on the road, especially if I'm in a city where I don't know anyone, there's time to go the hotel health club, so sometimes I find I'm better about working out when on the road than I am at home.

Of course lately I've been bad at both, so now am going to bite the bullet & get back on track.

But for others - on the road or at home?

Cheers.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
I work out mainly at home. I find that my running shoes take up valuable room in my carry-on and I don't like having smelly sweaty clothes marinating in the same bag as my clean clothes.

But my travel pattern is such that I'm rarely in the same hotel two nights in a row and my suitcase sits in the trunk of a rental car all day so that makes the problem worse.

When I'm going to be somewhere for several days (like a conference), I will bring workout gear but I don't always find I can get in the kind of workout I like if they don't have the machine I prefer (elliptical runner).

So... my preference when I'm at home is to get in large doses of cardio - on weeks I don't travel I try to do an hour-plus every day. On weeks where I do travel, I try to do 1.5 to 2 hours a day on the days I'm in town.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
I do more things that look like exercise at home, but I walk a lot more on the road (destination permitting). I averaged five or six miles a day on a recent five-day trip to London. My daily low was about two, the high at least ten. Much of that was walking back and forth between my hotel near Paddington and the more central locations of the things I was in London for.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Ah, the dilemma of the cyclist and traveler. Cycling is so far superior to running , yet it is nowhere near as portable an activity as running .

That's why I've appreciated the fact that it has become much easier to find places to rent decent road bikes. Then all you have to do is bring shoes, a helmet and clothes (having one's own pedals is often nice). I've rented good road bikes in Montana, Wyoming and Colorado. I'd love to hear of more places for road bike rental. And I'd be happy to recommend the places I've found.

So, getting back to the thread question, I exercise more at home (where I'm on the road ).
Old Mar 1, 2011, 2:37 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
My rule is 3 nights away = workout clothes in the bag. And if I am going to bother to bring clothes, I WILL work out.

For shorter trips I just try to walk a lot more than I typically would.

In MAD over the weekend I think I clocked about 5 miles walking on day 1 and 3 or 4 on day 2. Still came home up in weight after all the tapas and tinto, but far less up than I would have in the past!
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
road

however I always have my shorts, T, sneakers in my carry on. I use the Term A fitness center at DFW on layovers of 2 or more hours. I get a treadmill run in and an eliptical exercise in.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 9:55 am

on the road

Kind of the same program most days, but when I am away from home, I dont have the time pressure. So i tend to do a couple of extra sets at the gym, or that extra 20 min of cardio...

Matt
Old Mar 13, 2011, 9:57 am

I used to take a folding bike for trips longer than a week. I bit of an overhead, but worth it! I even did some bike commuting while travelling (bike from hotel to the ship yard) about 40 km round trip! super fun!
Old Mar 14, 2011, 3:46 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid
I rather dislike working out in gym facilities. So in the winter I work out more when I'm on the road (out of bordem mainly).

But in the less snowy months I workout more at home since I can walk and hike with the hubby.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Home. I pull a lot of doubles at home (mid day sometime and PM). On the road its PM and AM....I'm just not a morning guy. Lucky to get up 1-2 times during the week for an AM workout.

No matter how short my trips is (unless its a same day out and back) I pack shoes/workout clothes. If I have a multi city/hotel stay I use the hotel laundry bag to hold my sweaty clothes (I actually do this most weeks for my travel day workout clothes since they don't have time to dry)

Biking - I'll ship/drive a bike out if I know I'm going to be in a location for more than 4-5 weeks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.