Wiki Posts
Search

Body Media

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2011, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Body Media

I have used one of these for a few years. This device can do just about everything you want. If you wear the device all the time, even sleeping, it will track your life. The on-line website has a calorie counter, step counter, calories in, calories burned (from the device so little ability to cheat), asses your sleep amount and quality.

This is the company that the Biggest Losers use, the Body Bug. You can also buy these through Costco for a good deal since they have a sale til March 12. What I found most motivating is when I realized how much I was NOT doing everyday. This became a real motivator. if I wear this and use it then I can see what I am doing and what I am not doing. It's has been an amazing device for me.

http://www.bodymedia.com/
Old Feb 21, 2011, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
I have a BodyBugg and while I haven't worn it in a while, it was VERY helpful in helping me figure out what my daily caloric outputs were so I could adjust my nutrition accordingly. I highly recommend BodyMedia's products and software!
Old Feb 24, 2011, 8:41 am

I saw those in Costco. Did it seem accurate to you?

Costco claims they are selling them $60 off retail.

^to the android app!

Last edited by gj83; Feb 25, 2011 at 10:31 pm
Old Feb 24, 2011, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
It seemed very accurate in that if you go purely from a "calories in/calories out" weight loss perspective, I lost exactly the amount it projected I would in recording all my food intake meticulously and wearing the Bugg 23+ hours a day.

What was fascinating to me was to see the caloric burn patterns graphed out through the day - and how doing the same workout burned slightly differently depending if I did it early morning, midday, or evening. What was even more fascinating was to see how my "resting" burn rate changed in the hours after a work out vs. doing the same things without working out earlier.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 9:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I LOVE mine. I've had it for 4 weeks and have lost 6.8 lbs.

Like techgirl, I love seeing all the calculations, making slight tweaks to see how it affects my burn rate, etc.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:30 pm

The Costco closest to me had a huge display, but I didn't buy one.
I went to the other Costco in Charlotte (I was looking for stereo bluetooth headphones which neither carry) and they didn't have any!

I ordered it online (since I had to order the headphones). Apparently the version Costco sells isn't the bluetooth version that will integrate directly with the iphone/android apps, but I like doing things on my actual computer so I doubt I'll really mind. I assume the phone application will still let me track calories consumed as soon as I have an active subscription even though calories burned can't go from the non-BT armband to the phone?

Last edited by gj83; Feb 25, 2011 at 10:44 pm
Old Mar 2, 2011, 11:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
The phone application is completely different than the computer. My iPhone app only shows me what I have left to complete towards my goal in the categories ie. Burned, Consumed, steps, etc.

With the iPhone you can't access your account via the internet since the OS is different. I'm not sure how it works on an Android or a BB (traded my BB after Verizon got the iPhone).
Old Mar 3, 2011, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by wrxmom
With the iPhone you can't access your account via the internet since the OS is different. I'm not sure how it works on an Android or a BB (traded my BB after Verizon got the iPhone).
Well that's dumb. With FatSecret's calorie counter app I can track what I eat online or on the web and it all syncs up. That's a free app so I figured a pay app would allow me to do the same.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there a monthly fee to these?
Old Mar 16, 2011, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA-Gold, Hilton-Gold, Hyatt - Platinum
Originally Posted by annerj
I got one last year and it came with a 3 month subscription included. After that, it is 9.95 per month. I love mine and was just showing the printout to my new personal trainer who was fascinated also!
Old Mar 17, 2011, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by annerj
Yes. Depending on where you buy the device, there may be up to one years website included. I know this was the case through Costco.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 8:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
My concern would be how do we know any of the data it spits out is accurate?

The Armband contains multiple sensors that measure motion, body heat, skin temperature, and conductivity. A proprietary algorithm "crunches" the collected information and the user's personal body parameters to deliver accurate information on calories, activity levels, steps, lying down, and sleep time.
Does "proprietary" mean they won't say how the numbers are crunched?
Old Mar 20, 2011, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
My concern would be how do we know any of the data it spits out is accurate?

Does "proprietary" mean they won't say how the numbers are crunched?
I would think that's what it means. There is a whole Bibliography on the website with the puplished studies and most of the studies look to be published in peer reviewed journals.

They started published their data and studies around 2004. I think if something was seriously out of whack they would have been called on it by now from the sports medicine people.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 3:42 pm

So, i totally forgot to take my arm band off before going through the WTMD. I made it through without a beep!
Old Jun 25, 2011, 8:29 pm

Programs: DL gold, Marriott Platinum, UA silver
Do you need internet access to see your calorie expenditures? I am going to be without internet for a week or so at a time for a while and I want to us something like this product.
If I need internet, does anyone know of something I can use to keep track of calories in and burned?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.