Wiki Posts
Search

Favorite Scenic Jogging Trails

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2011, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
Favorite Scenic Jogging Trails

In honor of our new forum, I'd be pleased to start the first thread.

In all our travels in search of different places to go jogging, what are your favorite scenic trails to jog?

I'll start with mine. I go to Caifornia several times a year, and here are where I usually end up:

- Monterey Bay Coastal Trail in Monterey, CA

- San Francisco Bay Trail just south of SFO (It is a short trail, but I use it since I'm usually at the Hilton SFO my last night. If the winds are right, you'll see a line of planes coming into SFO.)
Old Feb 19, 2011, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not necessarily a scenic one, but if you ever find yourself at the Fairview Park Marriott in Falls Church, VA, that whole office complex is a nice shaded area and if you jog down Fairview Park drive, you'll come to a nice little trail by a lake. It's a nice little find in the otherwise hectic area inside the Beltway in the DC area.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 8:01 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Although my regular trail is the W&OD, I jog the Mount Vernon trail that passes DCA as often as possible. A GREAT way to take in the monuments across the river.

Also love love LOVE the loop at Green Lake and the trails at Discovery Park in Seattle.

Originally Posted by Smaug
- San Francisco Bay Trail just south of SFO (It is a short trail, but I use it since I'm usually at the Hilton SFO my last night. If the winds are right, you'll see a line of planes coming into SFO.)
Great one! Agree, I wish it were longer, too!
Old Feb 19, 2011, 9:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Here in the Phoenix area, I highly recommend the Salt River Project Canal system. As you can see from that map, there are seemingly endless miles of nearly flat running. Some of the canals are highly improved, with lighting, some have underpasses/overpasses to avoid busy streets. Some, however, are just dirt on the sides, and leave you to fend for yourself for crossing streets. But at least they keep you off of sidewalks. I live about a 2 minute walk away from one, and am extremely spoiled.

Of course if you want hills, we have them too, a nice mild hill is the loop around the zoo/botanical gardens.

And if you let me know when you're coming, I may be able to meet you for a run too.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 10:58 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Just want to send a warm welcome. I am delighted that this Forum came to fruition. A big ^ to Lehava.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 11:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by obscure2k
Just want to send a warm welcome. I am delighted that this Forum came to fruition. A big ^ to Lehava.
I second that! ^^ I'm rehabbing a calf muscle right now, but I particularly enjoy exploring new trails when I travel in the US and abroad. Looking forward to enjoying this forum!
Old Feb 19, 2011, 11:15 pm

Programs: Non-status bottomfeeder
If you are fit and ambitious...

Golden Ears Trail just outside of Vancouver, BC. Here is the brochure for the park.

Recommended time is 12 hours but I have done it several times in under 7 hours. Absolutely spectacular view in the final 45 minutes.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I agree. We are appreciated it for Talkboard is passed the motion today. I am looking forward to reading new forums.

I didn't jogging for a long time and my last time that I joined the tracks team. I didn't runs but, it was just jogging for 5 times. It was my old head coach. When I told my old teacher that is not a runs and it just jogged during afternoon hours right after schools.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:27 am

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by zoobtoob

Golden Ears Trail just outside of Vancouver, BC. Here is the brochure for the park.

Recommended time is 12 hours but I have done it several times in under 7 hours. Absolutely spectacular view in the final 45 minutes.
Super! I've been hearing about Golden Ears for a long time. This just put it on my 'must do' for this summer!
Old Feb 20, 2011, 11:07 am
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Originally Posted by zoobtoob

Thanks guys, make you go introduce yourselves in the locker room thread I set up. BTW who is our moderator in these here parts *grin*
Old Feb 20, 2011, 3:05 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Lehava
Thanks guys, make you go introduce yourselves in the locker room thread I set up. BTW who is our moderator in these here parts *grin*
I've offered to be a mod for this forum, but I think they're waiting to see how much traffic there is. I'm assuming it will be like other un-moderated forums, where the Senior Mods will pop in and do anything that requires moderation.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by aztimm
I've offered to be a mod for this forum, but I think they're waiting to see how much traffic there is. I'm assuming it will be like other un-moderated forums, where the Senior Mods will pop in and do anything that requires moderation.
Can I have a offered work for mod, too?
Old Feb 21, 2011, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Marin Headlands - I usually park by the stables and get lost in the hills.

Rocky Ridge and Coyote Peak in the Almaden Valley, San Jose, someone took some good pic here (not me!).

Used to do "The Relay" which was a 199 mile relay race from Calistoga to Santa Cruz and was fantastic fun and went through some great places.

And this from Tyndrum to Fort William called the Devil of the Highlands.

Also, St. Josephs Hill (Dammit Run route) in Los Gatos, CA.

Good thread, I think I shall enjoy it !
Old Feb 26, 2011, 11:52 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
If you're in SoCal, the 'strand' runs from Palos Verdes up to Malibu - think it's about 26 miles. You're walking/running along the ocean/beach. Obviously you don't need to do all 26 miles. You can pick it up anywhere. You can also bike along it. In certain areas like Manhattan Beach, the strand splits & one part is for bikers/roller bladers & the other part for walkers/runners. Other parts it's just one & all are allowed.

If you've ever watched films or television shows set in LA, the parts you see folk walking/running/biking, etc, along the beach & shops/homes is usually dif parts of the strand - quite often Santa Monica, Venice are shown.

Cheers.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Although my regular trail is the W&OD, I jog the Mount Vernon trail that passes DCA as often as possible. A GREAT way to take in the monuments across the river.

Also love love LOVE the loop at Green Lake and the trails at Discovery Park in Seattle.

Great one! Agree, I wish it were longer, too!
I second the WO&D trail. I start at the Reston Hyatt and run west; sometimes I get on at the Rt 28 overpass and run east.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.