Wiki Posts
Search

Favorite Scenic Jogging Trails

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2011, 2:02 pm

Location: DCA's home, AA hubs and spokes are where you'll usually find me
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Coogee to Bondi

If ever in Sydney, don't miss running/walking from Coogee to Bondi (or Bondi to Coogee of course) -- spectacular ocean/beach/cliff run that's about 5.2 miles round trip. It has some hills but the scenery makes it totally worthwhile (and pick up a snack at Barzura on the Coogee side or Iceburgs on the Bondi side)
Old Feb 26, 2011, 2:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
If you're in SoCal, the 'strand' runs from Palos Verdes up to Malibu - think it's about 26 miles. You're walking/running along the ocean/beach. Obviously you don't need to do all 26 miles. You can pick it up anywhere. You can also bike along it. In certain areas like Manhattan Beach, the strand splits & one part is for bikers/roller bladers & the other part for walkers/runners. Other parts it's just one & all are allowed.

If you've ever watched films or television shows set in LA, the parts you see folk walking/running/biking, etc, along the beach & shops/homes is usually dif parts of the strand - quite often Santa Monica, Venice are shown.

Cheers.
I agree, I always used to go down to the Strand in Hermosa but got lazy and just run on a track in NG off of Aviation (at MB Blvd) now a days; the only thing bad about the strand is sometimes it can be just too crowded to even run in parts of it
Old Feb 26, 2011, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
A true FT route: race planes at LAX!

When I am in LA I try to do this run. It's simply, you run along W. Westchester Parkway, which just so happens to be parallel to Runways 24R and 24L. It's quite a thrill to run with the heavies landing next to you.

Another good plane-spotting run in the Mount Vernon trail in DC which brings you right next to the end of the main runway at DCA. Depending on the winds you'll either have planes landing or taking off right over your head.

Old Apr 4, 2011, 10:20 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
When in Buenos Aires the Ecological Reserve located next to the city center is perfect for running. There are lots of different trails to chose from. This is my favorite place to run in the world. :-::-::-::-::-:

Old Apr 5, 2011, 8:10 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
I really like running along the water. For some reason, it's very soothing for me. I'm BOS-based, so I enjoy running along the Charles River when it's not snowing outside.

When I was visiting SZG last year, I had some wonderful morning runs along the Salzach River. Absolutely stunning to be running along the water with the castle and churches in the foreground, watching the sunrise.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Some favorites in London:

Along the Thames from Westminster to Tower Bridge
St. Paul's Cathedral to Green Park or Hyde Park if I'm ambitious
Hyde Park.
Green Park and St. James' Park
Greenwich can also be nice - hills!
Regent Park and Primrose Hill
Old Apr 7, 2011, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by JY1024
I really like running along the water. For some reason, it's very soothing for me. I'm BOS-based, so I enjoy running along the Charles River when it's not snowing outside.

When I was visiting SZG last year, I had some wonderful morning runs along the Salzach River. Absolutely stunning to be running along the water with the castle and churches in the foreground, watching the sunrise.
Just a couple of weeks ago I had some really nice runs along the Rhone in Geneva. There are a couple of parks that are linked with these wooded trails. About 10k in trails altogether, I believe, which is perfectly adequate for a nice jog. ^
Old Apr 7, 2011, 4:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by rwoman
Some favorites in London:

Along the Thames from Westminster to Tower Bridge
St. Paul's Cathedral to Green Park or Hyde Park if I'm ambitious
Hyde Park.
Green Park and St. James' Park
Greenwich can also be nice - hills!
Regent Park and Primrose Hill
I did this run in London last year, and even paused to take a picture in front of Buckingham Palace. Quite an experience!
Old Apr 7, 2011, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Central Park especially on weekends for people watching too.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Central Park especially on weekends for people watching too.
If you don't get hit by a cyclist.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 9:42 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
If you're in SoCal, the 'strand' runs from Palos Verdes up to Malibu - think it's about 26 miles. You're walking/running along the ocean/beach.
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I agree, I always used to go down to the Strand in Hermosa but got lazy and just run on a track in NG off of Aviation (at MB Blvd) now a days; the only thing bad about the strand is sometimes it can be just too crowded to even run in parts of it
+1 Another vote for the Strand. ^ I have a friend who lived in Hermosa for a few years. In the mornings, since I was on east coast time, I'd get up and run along the Strand. If you run/jog/walk/cycle/blade in the early mornings, it's much less crowded. But as TrojanHorse mentioned, it can get quite crowded at times, especially if it's a nice day on a weekend.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:10 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Thumbs up City Creek, Salt Lake City UT

Was just up in SLC this past weekend visiting a cousin. He's a big runner (the ultra-running type), and took me out to the City Creek area for a run yesterday. We started shortly after 6am, and saw very few other runners (maybe 10-15) and a similar number of bikers.

There is a nicely paved road that winds back, and I'm told is plowed in winter (to allow for city vehicles to get through). Closed to traffic, and bikes only allowed on odd days. An added plus--there are restrooms about every 1/2 mile all the way back.

The only downside is the whole way out is uphill...but that means the way back is downhill. My Garmin registered over 1600 feet of climb, which is highly unusual for me.

Awesome views too.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 8:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
I'm a sucker too for Hampstead Heath in London. You can go just inside and circle from Hampstead to Highgate and back around in about 4 miles or so.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 1:52 pm

I just found this forum, and it is great!

- The Strand (Redondo/Hermosa/Manhattan) is great, but you do need to get there early.
- Marin Headlands is beautiful. The parking is great by the stables (gets a bit crowded weekend mornings) and there are many different ways to go.
- Angel Island off Tiburon (Marin) has nice paths that go around and over the island. You do need to take a ferry over, but it is pretty.
- The bike/walk path in Long Beach, CA. Only about 6 miles round trip, but less crowded than the Strand.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by BobbySteel
I'm a sucker too for Hampstead Heath in London. You can go just inside and circle from Hampstead to Highgate and back around in about 4 miles or so.
Well, I am sure you will go down very well there then !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.