Nationwide Gyms, any recomendations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nationwide Gyms, any recomendations?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exe Platinum, AA & Delta Million Miler, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, United Silver
There's a planet fitness on Alpha road, and then there's Copper fitness as well.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 5:52 am

Programs: Enrich
Originally Posted by KRSW
My vote is for Anytime Fitness. I've had a membership for ~8 years now. The gyms are usually on the smaller side, but aren't overcrowded and have all of the essentials. They're all franchised, so there's some variability between them, but I've only come across one which was lackluster. They don't always have locations in larger cities (none in NYC, but many in Chicago, LA, 10+ in London), but it's amazing all of the small towns I've been in which did have them. Some of the small town ones were some of the best.

I've sometimes used them as a pseudo airport lounge, as a quick pit-stop / shower / email (WiFi) stop.

Ya I vote this too if you would like to have worldwide gym access.

For anytime fitness. You pay for one location membership, but you can access to all the gym around the world. I tried once when going for a business trip in Japan. However, I forgot to bring my key when I went for USA business trip, which end up didn't manage to hit the gym there
Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exe Platinum, AA & Delta Million Miler, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, United Silver
Originally Posted by dici
Ya I vote this too if you would like to have worldwide gym access.

For anytime fitness. You pay for one location membership, but you can access to all the gym around the world. I tried once when going for a business trip in Japan. However, I forgot to bring my key when I went for USA business trip, which end up didn't manage to hit the gym there
Interesting. I'll have to take a look at Anytime Fitness. Thanks.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 8:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lrbenko
I was going back and looking at old threads I started and saw this one had almost 30k views!
As an update, I started using Planet Fitness's "black card" for $20 per month and most cities have a gym in the chain. They are consistent, clean and fit my needs as a traveler.
​​I primarily travel by car domestically. I am a PF black card member for $20 per month. They are located in every city that I travel to, most within 1-3 miles from the hotels I frequent. I like to exercise after my work day so the 24 hour model works well for me. Also, I like the hydro massage beds which help me to relax after a stressful work day. My gym bag is always packed and includes protein supplements if I need the extra nutrition while on the road.
lrbenko likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QCBrace
​​I primarily travel by car domestically. I am a PF black card member for $20 per month. They are located in every city that I travel to, most within 1-3 miles from the hotels I frequent. I like to exercise after my work day so the 24 hour model works well for me. Also, I like the hydro massage beds which help me to relax after a stressful work day. My gym bag is always packed and includes protein supplements if I need the extra nutrition while on the road.
I feel for domestic US travel, Planet Fitness is the way to go. Thanks
Old Jan 3, 2019, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lrbenko
I feel for domestic US travel, Planet Fitness is the way to go. Thanks
better equipped than anytime?

anytimefitness.com
2840 in US & CA and 4494 worldwide

planetfitness.com
1600+

goldsgym.com
700+

24hourfitness.com
400+ in 13 states
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri

anytimefitness.com
2840 in US & CA and 4494 worldwide

planetfitness.com
1600+

goldsgym.com
700+

24hourfitness.com
400+ in 13 states
Great question. I think I'll check out a few more Anytime Fitness locations and get a better feel for them.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
It looks like Anytime Fitness locations are primarily located in suburban areas which may make it less convenient for a business traveler. At least with Planet Fitness, there are locations in convenient downtown/central areas in most major cities I checked (NYC, Chicago, LA, SF).

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:59 pm

A couple of differences between Anytime vs. Planet (and why I chose Anytime over it):
1) Anytime is open 24/7, all clubs. Planet didn't used to have any 24/7 operations. Now some locations do, but most aren't open 24/7. Notably, many aren't open 24 hours on weekends, which is one of the few times I get any free time.
2) Anytime is international. Even domestically, I've found clubs in remote places such as towns with a population of 5,000 people.
3) Anytime clubs tend to be smaller. I don't like working out in a giant gym filled to the brim with people.
4) Anytime's decor won't offend those who aren't color-blind.
5) The local Anytime's staff were very up-front about costs and such. No long-term contracts at mine. Not sure how it's done now since I've been a member for 8+ years.

Cons:
1) Gyms are franchised and not all of them are great. Out of all the ones I've been to, there's only been one which was sub-par (Tampa, Kennedy Blvd), but there's a very nice one just a few blocks away.
2) No locations in NYC (Planet has 4)
Old Jan 4, 2019, 11:53 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Planet Fitness has 11 locations in Manhattan alone. I think there are 35+ now in NYC. Some are just a few blocks away from each other.

Originally Posted by KRSW
A couple of differences between Anytime vs. Planet (and why I chose Anytime over it):
1) Anytime is open 24/7, all clubs. Planet didn't used to have any 24/7 operations. Now some locations do, but most aren't open 24/7. Notably, many aren't open 24 hours on weekends, which is one of the few times I get any free time.
2) Anytime is international. Even domestically, I've found clubs in remote places such as towns with a population of 5,000 people.
3) Anytime clubs tend to be smaller. I don't like working out in a giant gym filled to the brim with people.
4) Anytime's decor won't offend those who aren't color-blind.
5) The local Anytime's staff were very up-front about costs and such. No long-term contracts at mine. Not sure how it's done now since I've been a member for 8+ years.

Cons:
1) Gyms are franchised and not all of them are great. Out of all the ones I've been to, there's only been one which was sub-par (Tampa, Kennedy Blvd), but there's a very nice one just a few blocks away.
2) No locations in NYC (Planet has 4)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.