Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Breast Feed or Not" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2005, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: ua *s, kl se, asiana *g

just wonder what the feelings are about breast feeding in public places i.e, restaurants, planes etc within US and Canada. here in the UK reactions can be mixed and i just want to ensure i do my best not to offend anyone - of course it can be done discretely but just wondered how people react in general really?

many thanks
Julie
Old Jul 14, 2005, 7:36 am

Badly.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 8:13 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
You should breastfeed when the baby is hungry, but unfortunately we do have our share of ignorant people that get offended.

My wife was not able to breastfeed, so I'm can't offer any personal experiences, but it doesn't sound pretty, given how upset some people can get by the mere presence of a baby.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 8:15 am

It ususally is not a problem if it is done tactfully (and dare I say "tastefully?")
Old Jul 14, 2005, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have never understood why women need to be worried about "how" they breastfeed in public.

Julie: Do it anyway that works for you. Life's too short and precious to worry about offending people while feeding your infant.

I have two girls, nearly eight years old, and we frequent many fun places where families are numerous. Breastfeeding is common at Disneyland, Sea World, Universal Studios, the zoo, the beach, the neighborhood park, everywhere. Never have I seen an adverse reaction, but that doesn't mean they don't occur. Hopefully the unenlightened can be trusted to keep their disgust to themselves.

Have a great trip.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 12:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC
In Canada we have a higher "compliance" of breastfeeding than in the US. The average Canadian mother breastfeeds longer than her US counterpart. I think, as a result, breastfeeding in public is possibly more accepted, although I'm sure there are still a few people who get their shorts in a knot over this...although I've never seen it personally.

When my son was born last year, I woud definitely breastfeed in cars, restaurants, parks, but was discreet as I could be. i.e. I'd try not to expose my breasts, but had t-shirts that had a flap, or covered up with a baby blanket. It wasn't a big deal.

It shouldn't be a problem.

Lorna
Old Jul 14, 2005, 12:26 pm

Most people either don't realize that you are breast feeding or have no problem with it. Some people get upset about it. If you are an experienced breast feeder than you know how to do it with a minimum of fuss, clothing shifting, boobs flying, etc. and won't have any problem. If you haven't nursed your baby in public before then you might want to practice a few times at home just to get comfortable with the logistics (e.g. using a blanket to cover-up if you wish, or figuring out how to drape your shirt.) I nursed my son in public places and never had a problem with anyone. When it was possible I'd try to seek out a quiet place since it was more pleasant for both of us to minimize distractions.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 12:28 pm

In the US it often depends on where you are. Larger cities tend to be more open and accepting. My wife breastfed both of our girls, often in public, with no problems whatsoever. Then again, we live in Los Angeles. I noticed fewer people brestfeeding in public in the South, but no problems in San Francisco/San Jose and New York.

A lot will depend on where exactly you are going. And the ignorance level of those you come into contact with. Being discreet, but not hiding, is my best advice and what always worked for us when traveling in different areas of the country.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Lornag
In Canada we have a higher "compliance" of breastfeeding than in the US. The average Canadian mother breastfeeds longer than her US counterpart. I think, as a result, breastfeeding in public is possibly more accepted, although I'm sure there are still a few people who get their shorts in a knot over this...although I've never seen it personally.
In Canada you also have better "family facilities" than are generally found in the U.S. When I was nursing, we made 2 trips to Canada and in almost every major public place (malls, swimming pools, amusement parks) I found a nursing area in or near the restroom with a couple decent seats and some privacy. Very handy if you have an easily distracted baby.

At one swimming pool we went to, in the women's changing room there was a playpen to put your baby in while you changed, and then a nursing chair nearby. How very civilized!
Old Jul 14, 2005, 2:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If those who offer a different opinion are cast of as "ignorant", then this really isn't a serious question meant for an open dialogue. Name-calling has already taken place.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Analise
If those who offer a different opinion are cast of as "ignorant", then this really isn't a serious question meant for an open dialogue. Name-calling has already taken place.
Usually, I am very tolerant.

But I'm somewhat intolerant of intolerant people, and IMO, those who criticize women for where/how/when/why they breastfeed are intolerant people. Ignorant people.

If the presence of a breastfeeding woman upsets a person, that person should just stay holed up in their residence and have their meals and groceries delivered to them and leave the living on the outside to those of us with less delicate "sensibilities."

YMMV.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 6:02 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
There's nothing wrong with having a different opinion. However, that doesn't change the fact that being anti-breastfeeding is ignorant.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 8:48 pm

Programs: nwa
I lived in a relative small town, and I believe in breastfeeding on demand, My son has been fed at the mall, in restaurant , gas stations and at the movies (he was under 2 months and went there just to eat and sleep) . We have been traveling since he was 7 days old be it by car, train or plane. He has been fed in all. By the time he was 3 months old I have master the skills require to feed him in the car, while he was still in his car seat and I was wearing my seatbelt. We used to travel everywhere with ablue blanket that he was used to . This way when I put it over his head to feed he knew what was happening. I found most people will not be upset by the site of a baby feeding. On the few occasions when someone was I would either reply No hablo ingles or look at them as if they were nuts and keep on doing what I was doing . I never show more breast while feeding than I did when I was wearing a low cut dress so as far as I am concern. As long as you are confortable where you are feeding up and at it. I do recommend bringing a baby blanket.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 8:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

But I'm somewhat intolerant of intolerant people, and IMO, those who criticize women for where/how/when/why they breastfeed are intolerant people. Ignorant people.
There's nothing wrong with having a different opinion. However, that doesn't change the fact that being anti-breastfeeding is ignorant.
I rest my case folks. You proved my point! ^
Old Jul 15, 2005, 8:25 am

Programs: UA1P
I rest my case folks. You proved my point! ^

Are you taking issue with breastfeeding (if so, why?) or with calling those who don't understand it ignorant (would "uninformed" or "intolerant"? be a more acceptable term?)

If you have a different opinion, express it.. enlighten us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.