Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Breast Feed or Not" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Breast Feed or Not" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2005, 4:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
I really don't care to see other women's breasts regardless of whether they are breastfeeding or in New Orleans during Mardi Gras. I just don't understand...what's wrong with using a pump and keeping the milk in a cooler? Baby gets nourishment and I don't have to see your nipples. That's what everyone in my family has done and everyone is happy.

Last edited by TravelLawyer; Jul 20, 2005 at 4:30 pm
Old Jul 20, 2005, 4:32 pm

Location: MSP (Mahtomedi, MN, USA) - Delta hub captive, Marriott Gold, US Mint Silver, CVS Red
Programs: "We've been starving, and sitting on a ham sandwich the whole time."
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Knoppix
I, personally have nothing against it. Generally though people don't like it. On a plane, i don't think anyone's gonna be paying attention or trying to look. But in public places i wouldn't try it.

nice answer.
Old Jul 20, 2005, 5:12 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by AtomicLush
I really don't care to see other women's breasts regardless of whether they are breastfeeding or in New Orleans during Mardi Gras. I just don't understand...what's wrong with using a pump and keeping the milk in a cooler? Baby gets nourishment and I don't have to see your nipples. That's what everyone in my family has done and everyone is happy.
So you are saying that women should use a mechanical pump to extract lots of breast milk in advance and constantly carry around a large cooler (making sure that it's cool, try that on an aircraft) so that you don't have to go through the arduous process of averting your eyes?

Besides, if you're seeing a breastfeeding woman's nipples it's because you are trying to. It's pretty hard to see them by accident while the baby is feeding.

It's interesting that Americans are offended by images of breasts of European & Asian origin, but breasts on poor African women are shown on prime-time TV (news, etc.) Isn't that racist in some way?
Old Jul 20, 2005, 8:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Wow. A woman experiences the joy of having a machine suck on her lactating breasts for a stretch of time. She adds "milk bottler" to her list of jobs. The baby adjusts to an artificial nipple. Why? Because someone else would be more comfortable that way. Amazing.
Old Jul 20, 2005, 9:24 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC
Ah well, it can be a little more complicated than this...in my recent experience, pumping and feeding with a bottle can sometime compromise the breastfeeding and the baby rejects the natural nipple. Then I'm stuck.

The more of us who breastfeed in public, sooner or later it will just be commonplace, even to you.

Lorna
Old Jul 20, 2005, 10:44 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Lornag
...in my recent experience, pumping and feeding with a bottle can sometime compromise the breastfeeding and the baby rejects the natural nipple.
And some babies reject the bottle.

I think many people have no idea what they're asking when they think breastfeeding should be restricted to home. Many babies cannot be put on a schedule - they want to eat on-demand. For some that means nursing every 30 minutes or so. I would have been confined to my home for months had I have only nursed at home.

Women also can't just decide to pump out 8 ounces or so because they plan to be heading out. The body produces the milk according to need. And then if you chill that pumped milk, where are you supposed to warm it when you're at a park, mall, etc.? Microwaving kills many of those same nutrients that make breastmilk so important. I won't even get into what happens if you're out with your baby and the milk lets down, but you avoid nursing to appease strangers.

Yes, Lorna with education and exposure let's hope it becomes more and more common and accepted.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 12:24 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Most breastfeeding women are not just seizing any and all opportunities to whip out her breasts and expose herself. Myself incuded, every nursing Mom I have known has breastfed with a sense of dignity and decorum and I might add that this is true even in third world countries. Think about it
Old Jul 21, 2005, 8:19 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Great attitude. Are you just as offended seeing a man's nipples at the beach?
Old Jul 21, 2005, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by tazi
I would hardly call breastfeeding a display. And likely, those same men would have no problem viewing bare breasts while perusing a Playboy or Penthouse magazine. If they feel uncomfortable with a woman breastfeeding in their presence, then it is likely they have forgotten what breasts are for. So yes, the labels do fit.
I totally disagree; people do display. If they didn't, this wouldn't be a topic. I saw some woman flip out her breast on the 57 crosstown bus last week. She wanted to be on display and she was. Most women use some kind of scarf or blanket. This chick was a rarity.

As for ignorance, everybody knows what breasts are for so by your very admission, ignorance is thereby made impossible.

Privacy, however, has gone by the wayside for some. Their choice.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by ralfp
It's interesting that Americans are offended by images of breasts of European & Asian origin, but breasts on poor African women are shown on prime-time TV (news, etc.) Isn't that racist in some way?
What TV shows are you watching??
Old Jul 21, 2005, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by wbl-mn-flyer
nice answer.
Why the sarcasm? This lady didn't tow the official line?
Old Jul 21, 2005, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by letiole

I think many people have no idea what they're asking when they think breastfeeding should be restricted to home. Many babies cannot be put on a schedule - they want to eat on-demand. For some that means nursing every 30 minutes or so.
I don't know anyone who is restricted to home these days. When many women have to return to work after 6 weeks of maternity leave, the pump is the only way the baby is going to get mother's milk for those hourly (or more often) feedings.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 3:56 pm

Programs: IHG Amb, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, Avis P'sC, AAA-Plus
To the OP, feed your baby when it is hungry. My wife breastfed all thre of our daughters until they were anywhere from 14 to 18mos old. She did discreetly and also used a breastpump when she returned to work.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 5:36 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Analise
I don't know anyone who is restricted to home these days. When many women have to return to work after 6 weeks of maternity leave, the pump is the only way the baby is going to get mother's milk for those hourly (or more often) feedings.
And studies show that the majority of nursing women who return to work - 66 percent - end up using formula as a result. It may seem easy to someone who hasn't done it; but reality shows otherwise.

Last edited by l etoile; Jul 21, 2005 at 5:48 pm
Old Jul 22, 2005, 6:13 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Originally Posted by letiole
And studies show that the majority of nursing women who return to work - 66 percent - end up using formula as a result. It may seem easy to someone who hasn't done it; but reality shows otherwise.
Very, very true. So easy for the non-parents to judge something they have no experience with themselves.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.