Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Breast Feed or Not" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Breast Feed or Not" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2005, 8:40 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Analise
If those who offer a different opinion are cast of as "ignorant", then this really isn't a serious question meant for an open dialogue. Name-calling has already taken place.
I'm confused by your response. The OP didn't ask for an open dialogue, she asked for experiences with how people react to breast feeding in two countries. Let's keep this on track.

Swiss Julie: It's been 15 years since I've nursed, but I never had anyone say anything to me in restaurants, on planes, at parks, schools, anywhere. I have girlfriends who are breastfeeding now and I have not seen any negative reaction when we've been in public settings. Both the US and Canada are very large countries though so reactions can and will certainly vary. Some states have passed laws that make it illegal to stop a woman from nursing her child in public, others have rejected them. There are always scattered reports from various places (most recently out of Kansas and Iowa) of women refused service or told to leave an establishment if they're nursing their child.

Last edited by l etoile; Jul 15, 2005 at 8:55 am
Old Jul 15, 2005, 8:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by letiole
I'm confused by your response. The OP didn't ask for an open dialogue, she asked for experiences with how people react to breast feeding in two countries. Let's keep this on track.
What at all is confusing? The OP asked about people's feelings about breast feeding in public; she didn't ask for the feelings of those who support it toward those who are not fans of it. Again, what's confusing?

I assume that all threads are meant to be a place of open dialogue and I assumed that the OP didn't want this to be a place in which people who offer differing opinions are labeled as "ignorant". I should think that the best in people, should I not?

Keeping on track is focusing on breast feeding; not name calling. ^
Old Jul 15, 2005, 9:00 am

She asked how people react in general to breastfeeding in public. She wants to know what to expect when coming to the US and Canada. I don't think it's difficult to see that she's looking for information and not a debate on whether or not FTers approve/disapprove of breastfeeding in public.

If you or anyone else wishes to start a thread debating the issue, go for it, but let's not derail this one.

Last edited by l etoile; Jul 15, 2005 at 9:18 am
Old Jul 15, 2005, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: ua *s, kl se, asiana *g
many thanks for the information and opinions - i guess i just wanted to be a little more clued about attitude than i am currently. everyone is entilted to their own opinion - i will be discrete but i won't let it stop me doing what's best for my baby - as with most things in life a little consideration for others goes a long way to making life pleasant for all!!

many thanks
Julie
Old Jul 15, 2005, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by letiole
She asked how people react in general to breastfeeding in public. She wants to know what to expect when coming to the US and Canada. I don't think it's difficult to see that she's looking for information and not a debate on whether or not FTers approve/disapprove of breastfeeding in public.
That's what I said which is why I thought the "ignorant" label veered from the OP's intent. No need for that.

My SIL who breastfed for a year felt very uncomfortable that men would stare at her. She could care less about women but it was the men that she felt as though they wanted a free peep show. Maybe that's an American male trait; I don't know. I wouldn't want anyone staring at me.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 9:52 am

Programs: NWA, UA Silver. Hilton Diamond
i am not married and have no children and no breasts. but please do not breast feed in public. i do not want to be at the grocery store and walk past some lady breast feeding her child. i dont want to be at a clothing store and go in the door and walk past a woman breastfeeding in the entry way. there is a time and place for everything. i understand that certain fuctions are uncontrolable when pregnant. but please not everyone thinks public breast feeding is acceptable. my .02 worth from a guys view.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 9:53 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Originally Posted by JS
There's nothing wrong with having a different opinion. However, that doesn't change the fact that being anti-breastfeeding is ignorant.
I agree. My son is now 20 years old. I breastfed him until he was close to 10 months old ... in cars, in restaurants, in airplanes (in my seat), etc. I was always very discreet when in public. I don't recall feeling any negative vibes and wouldn't have cared if I had. I certainly don't recall being stared at.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 9:53 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
That's what I said which is why I thought the "ignorant" label veered from the OP's intent. No need for that.

My SIL who breastfed for a year felt very uncomfortable that men would stare at her. She could care less about women but it was the men that she felt as though they wanted a free peep show. Maybe that's an American male trait; I don't know. I wouldn't want anyone staring at me.
Here is a recap of my post. I emphasized the relevant part for you. I hope you find this satisfactory.

You should breastfeed when the baby is hungry, but unfortunately we do have our share of ignorant people that get offended.

My wife was not able to breastfeed, so I'm can't offer any personal experiences, but it doesn't sound pretty, given how upset some people can get by the mere presence of a baby.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 10:05 am

JS, you constantly reinforce my points. Merci beaucoup.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 10:16 am

I don't see it as "name calling" when someone refers those who don't know that there are laws in place that protect women while breastfeeding in public as being ignorant. Ignorant simply means not aware of or not knowledgable.

In any event, it looks like the OP is happy to see this thread contain individual opinions about breastfeeding in public. So my apologies for trying to keep it to general attitudes and experiences with nursing in public.

Last edited by l etoile; Jul 15, 2005 at 10:20 am
Old Jul 15, 2005, 10:23 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
JS, you constantly reinforce my points. Merci beaucoup.
Glad to help, I guess.

What is your point? I honestly don't know what it is.

BTW, it sure would be nice if you contributed to the topic rather than nitpicking other posters without even explaining what your issue is with them. What a novel concept.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by grbflyer
i am not married and have no children and no breasts. but please do not breast feed in public. i do not want to be at the grocery store and walk past some lady breast feeding her child. i dont want to be at a clothing store and go in the door and walk past a woman breastfeeding in the entry way. there is a time and place for everything. i understand that certain fuctions are uncontrolable when pregnant. but please not everyone thinks public breast feeding is acceptable. my .02 worth from a guys view.

Um, so if one is travelling with a small child and the child is hungry, what should they do? It is difficult to explain to a 3 month old that you can't feed them now because someone might be offended.

Originally Posted by grbflyer
there is a time and place for everything...
Yes, and the time and place for feedingyour child is when they are hungry.

And BTW, swiss julie, this is a perfect example of regional variations in attitude. The middle of the country and South tend to be anti-public feeding, the coasts and major citites tend to be ok with it. Oddly enough, and not to start a political debate, but it sees to coincide with Republican/Democrat.

Last edited by kef0913; Jul 15, 2005 at 12:37 pm
Old Jul 15, 2005, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kef0913
And BTW, swiss julie, this is a perfect example of regional variations in attitude. The middle of the country and South tend to be anti-public feeding, the coasts and major citites tend to be ok with it. Oddly enough, and not to start a political debate, but it sees to coincide with Republican/Democrat.

FWIW, I'm a long-time Republican. I've lived (among other places) in NYC, DC, CA, FLA, IL, and TX and am baffled at how once can be "offended" by the presence of a breastfeeding infant.

IME, ignorant people live everywhere. As do tolerant people.

BTW, you do know that GWB received millions of votes here in CA, right? More than in any other state after TX.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by kef0913
You know, I really don't see breastfeeding opinions falling along party lines. When I was nursing my son, I'd say 80% of the people around couldn't tell/didn't notice. From the other 20% I usually got a positive response, including from the 2 primly dressed LOL's who told me they thought more "young mothers" should learn the right way to take care of their babies. (I was on the positive side of 35 when my son was born, so I loved the "young mothers" comment). A friend of mine (mom of 3) in Ohio said she used to get dirty looks if she gave her baby a bottle in public, and people would tell her she should be breastfeeding instead.

Young men (I'd guess 17 to 30) seem to be freaked out by seeing breasts used for something other than pleasure - I got that response maybe 6 or 8 times - one guy would notice me, nudge his buddy, and then the 2 of them would stare in horror for moment. Their problem, not mine. Men old enough to be fathers generally would ignore me, if they even noticed, and the grandpa types usually wanted to hold the baby. Women of all ages either ignored it or offered advice.

I'm sure others on this board had different experiences, but that was mine. Oh, and nobody in an official capacity (waiter, store employee, whatever) ever said a word about it.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by catflyer

Are you taking issue with breastfeeding (if so, why?) or with calling those who don't understand it ignorant (would "uninformed" or "intolerant"? be a more acceptable term?)
The latter. "Uninformed" or "intolerant" are labels which don't describe me at all. I think of comments of women I know who breastfed, most directly one of my SILS and sister. They felt that feeding their babies was an intimate moment which they preferred not to share with the public. They both used the pump and were on regular pumping schedules. Whether someone decides to breastfeed in public or not is none of my business. My point is I understand the sentiments of both sides. For those men who feel uncomfortable with such displays, I think it is arrogant to call them "ignorant" or "uninformed". Does that create some sense of superiority to label those who dislike seeing breastfeeding? Many people are brought up that private moments should remain private even if such moments such as feedings need to happen at regular intervals. If breastfeeders really don't care what others think, why label people?

This is my take on it, catflyer. As for Swiss Julie's question, I think you'll find the same mixed reaction here as you do in the UK. But by and large, nobody will say anything to you. Do you get comments in the UK?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.