Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Why no infant lavs on UA (others?) domestically?

Old Jul 4, 09, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P

So is it really that expensive to have the infant changing table in a lav that UA can only afford it on international flights? Seriously its a flipdown board. My last Hawaiian Airlines 717 Hopper flight had them. Which my son actually did end up needing to use on that 30 minute flight. With the amount of appreciation certs they must be issueing to say sorry they must have already paid out what it would have just cost to put them in 10x over.
Does someone think 7 hours IAD-LHR is more deserving than 6 hour LAX-HNL?
Old Jul 4, 09, 11:36 pm

I believe it's only the 757s and 737s that don't have changing tables. Keep this in mind next time you book.
Old Jul 5, 09, 1:36 am

Programs: United Plus
I only worked long haul, mostly international so I was never on an airplane that didn't have them. I actually wrote it up and talked to a supervisor. I thought there should be changing tables in ALL the lavs. "For crying out loud, it's a plank of wood! It doesn't bother anyone not using it and how difficult/expensive can that be??" Wouldn't it be nice to just be able to use any lav on the aircraft to change your child??

Needless to say, the airlines don't really listen to their own F/A's but they do listen to customers. You need to write it up, if only for the other parents flying the same route.

I used to use them for my makeup after the break lol!
Old Jul 5, 09, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by schwarm View Post
I believe it's only the 757s and 737s that don't have changing tables. Keep this in mind next time you book.
I had called UA after the flight to ask which domestic planes had them for next time and the responce was that none do and offered us some appreciation certs. I would have called before to ask but we've always flown internationally before and I had specified we had a lapchild so you'd think they'd mention if that was going to be an issue. Though I see according to Seatguru the UA Airbus & 777 will need to be our planes of choice for a while. Too bad even the P.S. flights don't have them.
Old Jul 5, 09, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by slomrtwo View Post
I had called UA after the flight to ask which domestic planes had them for next time and the responce was that none do and offered us some appreciation certs. I would have called before to ask but we've always flown internationally before and I had specified we had a lapchild so you'd think they'd mention if that was going to be an issue. Though I see according to Seatguru the UA Airbus & 777 will need to be our planes of choice for a while. Too bad even the P.S. flights don't have them.
From personal experience 767s have changing tables in some (not all) of the lavs. Have not been in a 747 with baby.

Would be great to sticky a thread about this topic for all airlines.
Old Jul 5, 09, 3:30 pm

Programs: United Plus
United's 747's, 767's and 777's have changing tables. I don't know about their smaller aircraft.
Old Jul 8, 09, 8:29 am

Programs: UA silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
In addition to those listed, the UA Airbus twins have changing tables. I will also add that both domestic and int'l config 767's have changing tables in some, not all, lavs. As stated, no changing tables in 737s and 757s on UA.
Old Jul 8, 09, 9:56 am

Programs: Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver, Very Confused
Not UA, but WN recently installed changing tables in the forward lavs in their fleet. While the initial cost may not be high, it does add weight and another item that needs to be cleaned and safety checked. Airline efficiency experts really do look at minor things like this to see what the total impact is.
Old Nov 29, 09, 8:51 pm

Wish I had seen this thread before traveling this past week. Trip from SAN to ORD on United 757 is a long haul with no changing table. Asked the flight attendant what people do and response was that many change their children on top of the toilet seat. That's what I did, but this struck me as quite unsafe.
Old Nov 30, 09, 3:44 pm

Programs: Lots of them, no status
Originally Posted by kazdave View Post
Wish I had seen this thread before traveling this past week. Trip from SAN to ORD on United 757 is a long haul with no changing table. Asked the flight attendant what people do and response was that many change their children on top of the toilet seat. That's what I did, but this struck me as quite unsafe.
And unsanitary for the poor kid, too!

I think it's a disgrace that some planes don't have changing tables.
Old Nov 30, 09, 8:51 pm

Programs: US Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5-Star
US Airways has changing tables in their A319s and A320s. I think that they have changing tables in their 737s and 757s but haven't been on a 737 or 757 to confirm this. I don't know if their A321s have changing tables since I am based in PHX and there are not that many A321s flying out of PHX since the A321s are from the "old" US Airways fleet.
Old Dec 1, 09, 9:01 am

Programs: UA silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I don't believe the US 737 has changing tables, but last time i flew one was about 8 months ago. I have 2 flights next week on US 737's, so I'll report back. Seatguru suggests they don't have changing tables, though.
Old Dec 4, 09, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by ArizonaRoadWarrior View Post
US Airways has changing tables in their A319s and A320s. I think that they have changing tables in their 737s and 757s but haven't been on a 737 or 757 to confirm this. I don't know if their A321s have changing tables since I am based in PHX and there are not that many A321s flying out of PHX since the A321s are from the "old" US Airways fleet.
US A321s do indeed have changing tables.
Old Dec 21, 09, 5:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
This isn't as bad as passengers being charged for an infant ticket and then not having any changing table facilities in the ticketed cabin -- even on long-haul international flights?

On domestic flights there are some lousy changing tables -- some are even quite dangerous, such as with sharp edges that would easily cut/scratch the skin of an infant or loose/poorly attached ones. Lawsuit waiting to happen if it hasn't happened already.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: