Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Just adopted baby-flying soon

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2009, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
Just adopted baby-flying soon

Hi-
I've been on FT for years, usually in CO and Starwood areas. My hubby and I just came out to CA to be with our birthmother as she had our son. (Adoption.)
As soon as the interstate compact is complete, I get to fly home from LAX to DTW, probably on CO as I am a Plat. I've NEVER flown with a baby before and have SO many questions! The hubby had to leave tonight to get home to our dogs and work, and I just stay till I'm told I can leave, 1-3 weeks.

My questions are:
#1 My baby is on formula. I have premade bottles (bought that way) but they are 6 oz each. I don't want to have to waste them but am unsure as to whether or not I can bring them. I'm holding back the ones we got at the hospital, just in case, as they are only 2 ounces and I guess I could put them in a ziplock and take them through security.

#2 Should I: A) Buy two economy seats or B) one 1st Class seat. Or try and find an open flight and buy economy and use miles to UG? Can I buy 2 economy seats and UG BOTH with miles if available?

#3 I have the stroller/baby seat. Can I take the stroller to the gate and check it there? I can't imagine carrying the baby through the airport w/o the stroller and baby seat. If i have 2 seats, can the baby sit in the carrier in the 2nd seat?

#4 When do I start a bottle- before we take off or during? Also for landing?

#5 There is no Birth certificate yet -will I need something else for him for check in?

#6 Should I take 2 shorter flights (fly Plat on CO) or look for a direct, longer flight?

I'm sure I'll think of more, I just wanted to ask. I met some wonderful people in March on "Competitours" as a sponsored team (Thanks, Randy!) and some of the women I met told me about this forum. I figured where else would I get the right answers!

BTW: Jaden was born Thursday, May 21 at 901pm, coming in just shy of 8 pounds. Black hair, brown eyes, and an amazing disposition. After losing my first son at birth and not having any more, 3 years with an agency that never called, this CA adoption REALLY worked out. I can't wait to get home (though the area we chose to wait out the paperwork is gorgeous!) and hope I don't run into any problems!

Thanks!
Old May 25, 2009, 12:29 am

Congratulations!

Originally Posted by thaliajen
My questions are:
#1 My baby is on formula. I have premade bottles (bought that way) but they are 6 oz each. I don't want to have to waste them but am unsure as to whether or not I can bring them. I'm holding back the ones we got at the hospital, just in case, as they are only 2 ounces and I guess I could put them in a ziplock and take them through security.
The TSA does allow liquids over 3 oz in limited circumstances, and this is one of them. If you're traveling with an infant, you can take some ready-made formula with you. I would calculate how much baby usually takes in the # of hours you will be traveling, and then double it. Bottles may spill, he may only drink partial bottles, delays, etc. Pack extra, because I guarantee the airline doesn't stock it!

#2 Should I: A) Buy two economy seats or B) one 1st Class seat. Or try and find an open flight and buy economy and use miles to UG? Can I buy 2 economy seats and UG BOTH with miles if available?
You will be more comfortable in two seats than one, and no matter how much you love your newborn, once in a while you'll need to set him down. Call of nature, fixing up the formula, digging out a fresh diaper* - you'll want 2 hands free, and having a seat, complete with infant safety seat, gives you a safe place to set the baby.

As for class of seating, I'll defer that question to others.

#3 I have the stroller/baby seat. Can I take the stroller to the gate and check it there? I can't imagine carrying the baby through the airport w/o the stroller and baby seat. If i have 2 seats, can the baby sit in the carrier in the 2nd seat?
If you buy a seat for baby and have an FAA approved seat, baby gets a seat. Otherwise you are at the mercy of the GA if there is a empty seat. Yes, you can gate-check the stroller.

#5 There is no Birth certificate yet -will I need something else for him for check in?
Not at a couple weeks of age. Generally the airlines are trying to prevent kids over 2 from flying as unpaid lap children, and I can't imagine the GA mistaking your newborn for a 2 yr old.

#6 Should I take 2 shorter flights (fly Plat on CO) or look for a direct, longer flight?
First trip, keep it simple, fly non-stop or direct if you can.

* don't worry, within a few weeks you will be able to accomplish these tasks one-handed, in the dark, with an infant screaming in your ear. Welcome to motherhood!
Old May 25, 2009, 1:19 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I will leave it to other new Moms to offer suggestions ( My 4 sons are now grown). I just want to congratulate you on the birth of your son.
Old May 25, 2009, 1:46 am

Programs: United Plus
Congratulaions on your baby boy!

My questions are:

Good news, parents travelling with babies are exempt from the 3oz. limit. You can bring as much as you need. They simply state "a reasonable amount" but I've never heard of that being challenged.

I actually recommend the bottles with disposable liners. You can use and toss them out as he drinks them. It's hard to wash bottles in airplane sinks and disposable take up a lot of room. I premeasured the powder ahead of time and rolled them up, put them in a ziplock and it took up next to no room in my bag.

You can also bring bottled water for your baby. It's also exempt from the TSA limit.

Very important: since warming a bottle has no health advantage, make sure your little guy takes it at room temperature before leaving. This will make your trip much, much easier. While they'll warm your bottle on the plane, no will be there to do it in the security line or while checking in!

Having two economy seats is safer and more comfortable. Even with more room in FC, you'll still be picking the baby up a lot. Having the car seat on board means your baby will be safer and more comfortable. Plus, you can get up and use the lav without waking him!

Economy is also more "baby friendly". Some parents cite their right to sit in the front and that's valid but if you're at all concerned about disturbing anyone, you'll be more at ease in the back.

Also, with a small baby (especially for the first time), you can't really take advantage of all those fun perks up there.

No problem taking the stroller to the gate. They'll put a gate-check tag on it.

Bring a bungee cord to double secure the stroller. They can bust if they pop open en route. Most have only flimsy latches which can come open too easily.

Make sure you have a good baby carrier. Make sure it goes at least to age 2. Skip getting a front pack which only go a few months and get something useful and comfortable. This way, you can calm your baby during the flight more easily and get to and from your seat with your hands free. It's definitely the secret to easy flying with a baby!

#4 When do I start a bottle- before we take off or during? Also for landing?

Neither. According to the AAP (as well as my own experience flying international for 13 years) the critical time is the "top of descent" or 40 minutes to an hour before landing. Going up is not a problem. Coming down is trickier for everyone (not just babies) because their ears have to reverse pressurization. It's a good idea to have him awake. Landing is too late.

Many babies and children fall asleep on the runway. Don't wake your baby unnecessarily to feed him on take-off. Keep him safely in his car seat for both phases of flight.

You'll be feeding him enough on the flight that his ears will pop when he gets his normal bottle. Newborns feed so often, you'll have that covered.

Honestly, I didn't see many problems with babies and ears when I was flying. I did see babies crying in hot sweaters and the parents saying "It's his ears" (once when we were on the ground!) Before you leave, your baby will be checked by a doctor who will look in his ears. Healthy ears can handle pressurization changes. If your baby cries, please see to other problems and don't assume it's his ears because it probably isn't.

Also, babies cry on boarding. It's probably a combination of things; the chaos, the noise, the stress, the temperature change... Don't let this phase you. Once everyone's settled, the babies always calm down.

They basically only check BC's to make sure the baby is under age 2. Take whatever papers you have. Ask your agency, since you are obviously not their first client in this situation, and look at the airlines' website. They rarely check, especially if it's a small infant.

Definitely a non-stop (please check that it is a non-stop as "direct" flights can stop and change planes). I actually drive to a further airport just to avoid changing planes. With kids, you want to limit the fuss of getting off the plane, waiting for the next, etc.

Don't forget to pack a couple of extra sleep suits (don't dress him up!) and extra diapers. Use a backpack instead of your purse + diaper bag. Much easier! Some diaper bags are conveniently designed as backpacks.

For more information, I wrote an article on this subject in 2000. Totally non-commerical and my contact info is at the end;
http://flyingwithchildren.blogspot.com

I had many parents bringing their children home for the first time on my flights. Since I worked international, most were foreign adoptions. All did great. Glad that your long journey to motherhood has a happy ending!
Old May 25, 2009, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Congratulations Mother!

Since you seem to have plenty of miles, is there any way you could have a close friend or relative fly out to join you on the flight home? An experienced mother! Having a helper and companion will be very nice for you. Not only when you need to visit the bathroom, but someone to share the joy of your homecoming.

Make your flight a celebration. Take a lot of photos along the way and keep your boarding passes. Think Baby Book!
Old May 25, 2009, 3:04 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
Two seats work even better if you can raise the armrest. Ask the GA if you can preboard.
Old May 25, 2009, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
If you plan on using a pacifier that is also a good idea on takeoff - but more importantly on descent (ear equal). Congrads
Old May 26, 2009, 7:59 am

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
Congratulations!

You've received some very good suggestions. I would agree with the two Y seats versus one F. Don't choose the bulkhead so you will be able to raise the arms up between the seats. IME, there's no problem with ears on take off; if you have a problem it would be on landing. Pick a nonstop flight if possible to get the trip over with ASAP.

Don't forget to pack a spare shirt for yourself as babies are notorious for spitting up. Have some burp cloths (I always used cloth diapers) for your shoulders for use after feeding when you are burping the baby. I learned from experience to always, always pack more diapers then you think you are going to need.

The suggestion about having a friend/relative fly out to come back with you is a really good idea; preferably someone who has children. It would be a huge support and help for you.

Your baby will let you know when he/she needs a bottle.

Best of luck to you and your new family. Enjoy this time!
Old May 26, 2009, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA: Former CK (LT PLT), MB: PE (LT Gold)
Congrats! Some additional comments ...

1) I flew a bunch of times with my son before he was 6 months. I could not live without the 2 oz bottles with the disposable nipples. When your son gets older, you van buy 6-8 oz ones at the baby store. Get as many as you can and take them with you. They last about 18 months.
3) Pack a carrier (Bjorn, BabyErgo, etc.) as well if you have one.
4) We always timed 1 hour after takeoff for a feeding as you can always feed a little early and to account for delays taxing to the runway. Certain routes take into account 45 minutes of queuing prior to take off. We used feeding sometimes on landing but the pacifier usually covered any potential risk.
5) Nada needed. You don't even need to give the airline a name. One GA was in a funny mood and changed my son's name to MASTER in the record - it read MASTER LI'L KTAKA.
6) Less is more here.
Old May 27, 2009, 6:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
one thing that I don't understand

before I get to that congrats big time ^

I've done this twice (three kids)

once with a newborn such as you; came home at the one week mark, as soon as the ICPC was completed, we were on our way back to LAX (from SLC) and the other time was with brothers who were 3 & 5 (adopted) who had never flown and didn't know me from Adam

What I highly recommend and back to the title of my thread.. unless I'm reading this wrong, why is it, that hubby can't come back and fly with you. You are a CO plat.. you have the miles I presume even at double miles... or pony up an buy a ticket.

there is nothing that will help you more than that(traveling companion), trust me on that one.

I never had a delay in my two instances but if you do; another set of hands, eyes and legs will be worth its weight in gold.

there really should not be a reason (sorry, dogs just don't cut it for me.. ditto on work.. ) that hubby can't come back to fly home with you.. I understand why he had to leave but get him back out when you go home.. you know the ropes enough how to pull this off if you are a CO plat.

take the direct/non-stop.. just get home as soon as you can; I had to change twice with the two who never flew and as much as I think I know what I'm doing in an airport.. I was severely challenged changing twice with these guys.. now yours is different but the challenge of moving the baby and your stuff will not be much different.

only bad things can happen if you change flights

remember this one isn't about miles its about getting home with your new baby

congrats again.

PS, are you the one (poster) from the SPG post about hotels for a long term stay?
Old May 27, 2009, 9:43 pm

There is a BIG difference btwn a newborn and a toddler. Before you leave you should (maybe already do) have an idea of the babies temperament and schedule. If the baby isn't really fussy or colicky at that age they sleep a LOT, so a second person may be unnecessary - but if colic is a problem then that person would be a godsend.
Old May 27, 2009, 11:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Congratulations!!

Extra clothes for Jaden too in case of accidents.

Get the travel size packet of baby wipes - much easier to bring into/out of the bathroom for diaper changing than the big box of wipes.
Old May 28, 2009, 3:03 pm

Programs: all the big ones.. no LCCs for me
Originally Posted by estnet
There is a BIG difference btwn a newborn and a toddler. Before you leave you should (maybe already do) have an idea of the babies temperament and schedule. If the baby isn't really fussy or colicky at that age they sleep a LOT, so a second person may be unnecessary - but if colic is a problem then that person would be a godsend.
so whose going to lug all the junk that she will be carrying or who will help out in a mechanical or weather delay
Old May 28, 2009, 3:15 pm

wheeled, light weight collapsible umbrella type stroller (the handles are curved and link over your arm leaving hands free) work for the baby and assorted stuff - but I'm not saying that another person wouldn't be nice, just maybe not essential. Of course if there are transfers involved (not a non stop) then it's a different story.

Don't discount other passengers being willing to help, too. I can't count the number of times I've helped a mom with 2 toddlers traveling by herself (and soooo glad I wasn't having to do that)
Old May 28, 2009, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
Thanks for everyone's suggestions!

I am SO excited about not having to worry about the amount of formula I can bring. I have premade bottles and want to bring those. He's been taking them at room temp since birth so no need to change now!

As for hubby returning, extra miles, etc.: Yes, it would be nice and we're watching prices. I just used up tons of miles upgrading for my trip to Europe in March and then for other reasons. My mileage bank is close to empty, save for the flight back from Ireland last month and the flight to LA. Per the economy, I've been using my miles more than buying, so I doubt either of us has enough for a free ticket. But, we'll be keeping our eyes on it. Hubby wants to return, but honestly, we're already well over triple our adoption budget and just was presented with a 2nd bill for a 3rd attorney. If it is possible for hubby to come out (we have no idea when we can go home) we will, but as it will likely be last minute, I don't know.

We just were told that I have to stay another week here, and that's a ridiculous amount of money on hotel and car rental. Yes, I was in Starwood forum asking about long-term stays, but ended up at an Embassy Suites, where I am Gold. I love my Plat status but the Starwood out here couldn't hold a candle to this place, which has all I need for baby and I. It isn't cheap though, and we're already so over budget that I am living on peanut butter and jelly, just in case. This "1st Class all the way travel gal" has to learn some new tricks!

If I fly direct I can't stay with CO. So it's 2 economy seats on NW (no offense, but not my fave airline) or a 1st Class connecting in IAH on CO. Depending on the costs, I'll likely take the advice here and do the non-stop NW. Other choice is to stop in Houston for the night as that's where my son is buried and I can take a trip to the cemetery and give the baby a break on the length of the flight. But we'll see what the prices are when it comes down to buying tix. I DO have to get used to traveling with the baby, and I feel so much better after reading your posts.

As for a friend or relative coming, we're looking into that. But everyone has their own kids, my Mom passed away, both Grandmas have Alzheimers, and it's prime vacation season for most of my friends. I am pretty sure I can handle it, but if not, my cousin is willing to come, if I really need her. Personally, I'll be happier trying this on my own as I'll be traveling with him a lot, but it's quite possible that hubby or cousin will join me.

As for anything else, just playing it by ear! I'm so in love with my son, I just want to get home. This hotel is great, we're right on the ocean (though it's cold!) and I have everything I need. But home is home. And hubby is getting crazy missing us both. He actually makes me hold the phone up to the baby's ear so Jaden can hear his voice, LOL!

Good to hear about stroller and car seat (both purchased- it's the travel system) and I think we'll be okay. I'd prefer 2 1st Class seats but don't know how I can manage that. I'll do some playing around with what miles I have left. I am past Gold for next year already, hopefully will still make Plat, but I've used a lot of miles this year. I just hope we return by the 15th so I can still get the double Elite miles if I choose CO!

Really, thanks to all! I'll keep my eye out for any other suggestions. This trip is a problem, but a HAPPY problem!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.